Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of hay?

Options
  • 22-12-2006 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know what hay is making at the moment? Round bales?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

pburns wrote:
    Does anyone know what hay is making at the moment? Round bales?
    According to Teagasc: http://www.teagasc.ie/news/2006/200608-23.htm

“In some situations these winter feed options may prove to be better value than the prices now being quoted for hay or baled silage. Based on prices of €160 and €230 per tonne for rolled barley and soya bean meal respectively, we believe that a typical square bale of hay or round bale of silage is not worth more than €2 or €24 per bale respectively,” he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Mmmm...I'm selling...

Have gotten €25 so far. Really bad grass growth this year...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

pburns wrote:
    Mmmm...I'm selling...

Have gotten €25 so far. Really bad grass growth this year...
    Will it not make more, in a month or two, when fodder begins to run out?

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

25 is good money if your sure you will be paid promptly. lots of dodgy buyers out there.obviously if you have good storage and not in a hurry things will get dearer but theres no beating cash

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭paulmallon

im in the north,not sure what prices are this year,last year round bales were making 11-12 pounds for good stuff. hay made 1.30 to 1.50 (sterling)
    25 euros sounds good money!
    costs me 4.75 sterling to make a round bale

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

What's the story with transport then? You could earn a chunk on top if you're willing to deliver, especially if your buyer is far away. Although hauling bales (especially if you've more than a few to move) is a pain in the ass.

Advertisement