Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macroom Broadband - Sky intend providing Broadband

Options
  • 22-12-2006 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭

Had a Sky engineer in the house last night doing some work, he was telling me that Sky intend providing broadband in Macroom towards the end of January!

Great news for me coz I dont have any other broadband options apart from satelllite which is ridiculously expensive!!

He said the price is supposed to be quite reasonable too...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

Where in Macroom do you live?
    I've had BT Broadband in the town for a couple of years now.

If you live well outside the town (Kilnamartyra etc.) I wouldn't expect broadband for a while yet. It's down to Eircom updating the exchanges, Sky have shag all to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

RichyX wrote:
    Where in Macroom do you live?
    I've had BT Broadband in the town for a couple of years now.

If you live well outside the town (Kilnamartyra etc.) I wouldn't expect broadband for a while yet. It's down to Eircom updating the exchanges, Sky have shag all to do with it.

I live in the Hermitage on the Millstreet Road, across from Looneys garage.

According to the Sky engineer we'll be able to get it, regardless of eircoms exchange, I presume it will come through their satellite...

Im sure I checked BT Broadband already...

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

Sky fitter is talking out his arse. Sky have launched themselves as a broadband isp in the UK, but it is a DSL service still relying up the phone line.
    They have stated already that this service will not be available in ROI.
    Are you sure that there are no wireless providers in Macroom?
    If that is the case I will talk to a wireless provider that I have business dealings with. They are always looking for new market opportunites.

Rippy wrote:
    They have stated already that this service will not be available in ROI.
    Are you sure that there are no wireless providers in Macroom?

Definitley NOT where I live, which is just on the Millstreet road, have rang EVERY potential provider in the area and Im not in coverage, eventhough Im in the town itself! Its a pain in the arse, my only option is satellite which is way overpriced!

If a wireless service opens I'll definitely take it, Im sure there will be plenty of other takers in the estate too, the estate (The Hermitage and the Glenties) is fairly big...I dont understand why some wireless provider hasnt snapped it up...

Please have a word with your mate...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 v1ck

Hi.
    i live in macroom too, at The Glenties, and im looking for some broadband in my area.. i know that there is no Wireless avalible so my only way to use the internet is vodafone 3g card..

right now im waiting for eircom suitable line for boradband for some DSL..

anyone know how long it would take?

• Advertisement

v1ck wrote:
    Hi.

right now im waiting for eircom suitable line for boradband for some DSL..

anyone know how long it would take?

They told me that they've "no plans" at the moment to upgrade the exhange! So my guess is a year at least...they've been telling me that since last July!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

Sorry for jumping in.
    A sky salesperson called to mallow lately (about 2 weeks ago) pimping sky upgrades (movies / sports etc.)
    I've already got sky but she did say that sky broadband is being launched here sometime around the end of February.
    I asked here for more info but she wasn't too sure about it.
    She did however say that she had received a memo or something about it but as it wasn't active yet they (sales) weren't given too many details.
    I'm guessing they're freelance as normally I get offer phone calls from Sky, so it might be pie in the sky, haven't seen a sky rep for over four years until this time.
    By the by, I'm on a 2mb Eircom connection here in Mallow and since the estate was enlarged, and I'm guessing more people took broadband, my max download speed has dropped to a paltry 650kb and upload is down to 170 ish, I cant even get on xbox live anymore without getting booted. (actually I can but lag sucks, I can't even join games on xboxconnect (for the modded one).
    Has only been a problem the past month or so, have been on to Eircom but they're no help.
    Sorry for going off topic.

According to Michael Moynihan TD Eircom are planning on upgrading our exchange in the coming months (think it said 3 months) so that's good news as long as its true...

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭squire23

According to Michael Moynihan TD Eircom are planning on upgrading our exchange in the coming months (think it said 3 months) so that's good news as long as its true...
    Yeah right.... just after they finish the Bypass I suppose.

All the houses from Millstreet Rd Cross up are served by the Excahange in Carriginima which is not broadband enabled rather than the main Macroom Exchange. Recently I was told by an Eircom Engineer that the only way they would upgrade the Exchange there is if someone drove into it & destroy the thing. It's a joke but face it, anyone living up the Millstreet Rd will never get broadband - Eircom have no intention of ever upgrading remote Exchanges like Carriginima.

The only hope would be if the bypass did come in that the work then would also include upgrading the existing telecoms lines from Carriginima as one of the roundabouts and access to Macroom is planned to be just up the road.

......but I won't hold my breath.

b.harte wrote: »
    Sorry for jumping in.
    A sky salesperson called to mallow lately (about 2 weeks ago) pimping sky upgrades (movies / sports etc.)
    I've already got sky but she did say that sky broadband is being launched here sometime around the end of February.

Sounds like the same guy I had :) He was in my place 16 months ago and if what he said was true then we all should have had Sky Broadband well over 12 months ago.

We're using the 3 Mobile Broadband, speed is fine during the day but at nightime when more people hop on the network then it's quicker to use dial-up.

Bloody annoying!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭squire23

Sounds like the same guy I had :) He was in my place 16 months ago and if what he said was true then we all should have had Sky Broadband well over 12 months ago.

We're using the 3 Mobile Broadband, speed is fine during the day but at nightime when more people hop on the network then it's quicker to use dial-up.

Bloody annoying!
    I'm using Voadfone 3G & it's completely useless. As you said, you'd be better off with dial-up

squire23 wrote: »
    I'm using Voadfone 3G & it's completely useless. As you said, you'd be better off with dial-up

In fairness to 3 it's perfect for my wife when she's working at home during the day, speed is really fast and she never has any problems connecting. But like I said I never bother using it as by the time I get home the speed is really slow.

Contention rate on the connection is 42 according to 3.

Advertisement