Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony surround amp "protected"

Options
  • 20-12-2006 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭

How are things?

My girlfriends parents recently got a Sony surround sound system installed in their living room. Any time you turn it on, it'll work fine for a few seconds then cut off with "protect" flashing on the amplifier.

Anyone any ideas what might be up? Is there some kind of lock you can turn on?

Any ideas much appreciated!

Matt

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

It couldbe that the mains power eing supplied to it is's very smooth, or that the sound signal you are feeding it is of too high a level (i.e. you didn't plug a line input into a dynamic mic input did you?)

/edit: do have a look in the manual though, in the troubleshooting section

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭mvpr

Thanks for that Sean - will double check later on...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

mvpr wrote:
    How are things?

My girlfriends parents recently got a Sony surround sound system installed in their living room. Any time you turn it on, it'll work fine for a few seconds then cut off with "protect" flashing on the amplifier.

Anyone any ideas what might be up? Is there some kind of lock you can turn on?

Any ideas much appreciated!

Matt
    It's almost certainly a short from one of the speaker connections. Even a strand from one terminal touching another will do this. Check all the speaker connections are neat and tidy - nothing from left side touching the right and vice versa and check the terminals on the amp too - it's just as likely to be the culprit.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

I had this happen myself a while ago. While I had 40watt speakers installed anyway before I was planning on changing them I knew that the amp was too powerful for the speakers. Turning the volume up too loud resulted in 'PROTECT' flashing on the display.

I'd assume it's to do with the amp sensing that there is too much current passing and in affect protects itself from damaging the speakers and itself.

The cure was to use speakers that could take 100+watts :)

The amp in question was a Sony STR DE375

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

No, the amp won't sense the power handling of the speakers. The speaker impedance is probably too low. Try disconnecting the speakers and running the amplifier at at least 75% of full volume and see does it flash. If so you've a short somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 miks

check the speakers impedance!
    there are amps wich cant handle 6ohm speakers(and its called sony, check manual), and there are speaker sets wich has exactly 6ohm.

Advertisement