Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone into Sufjan Stevens?

Options
  • 19-12-2006 9:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭

Started listening to him when I was studying because it's really easy-listening. Has he been around for a while? Anyone a fan?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭-Freebird-

That's not the singer from Sígur Rós is it? Name sounds familiar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

-Freebird- wrote:
    That's not the singer from Sígur Rós is it? Name sounds familiar

No...

Yeah he's a legend. Amazing songwriter. The gig back in November was truly unforgettable.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,089 ✭✭✭mada999

not a fan..... his music should be on broadway...meh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

Pacifico wrote:

Yeah he's a legend. Amazing songwriter. The gig back in November was truly unforgettable.....

Totally agree. He is an absolute genius. The gig in the Olympia was mindblowing. Myself and a friend started laughing uncontrollably throughout his new track Majesty Snowbird because it was so ridiculously sweet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Sufjan Stevens is an awesome musician. 'Majesty Snowbird', whenever it's released, will undoubtedly be the song of that year - incredible stuff. I'd be very surprised if Sufjan isn't the next really big thing in pretentious indie circles and beyond, so I'd recommend joining me in trawling through his already substantial back catalogue and pretending we were there from the start. Illinois is the place to start, of course - what an album. He doesn't seem to have that self-destructive streak of most of the last decades outstanding songer-songwriters, either, so I reckon Sufjan's a keeper. Don't really know how to pronounce his name properly though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

unfortualately i couldn't get tickets to the gig we shouldn't mention on here.

but he's a great singer and songwriter.

it's great to see him release so much stuff, like this year alone we have gotten "tha avalanche" and "songs for christmas" which are two solid albums, along with illinois and michigan.

seen a couple of videos of him preforming on youtube and i think it's hilarious that he sometimes needs lyrical sheets infront of him as he has so many songs.

ohh and the way i pronouce his name - don't know if i'm wrong or right - is suff jan (imagine saying cuff only with a s).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

Huge fan here, get Illinoise, its one of my favourite albums. Was so annoyed when i couldnt get tickets to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

over-rated sub elevator music

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Lunar Junkie

My experience with his 'States' albums is that they sound amazing for 4 or 5 songs and then you start you realise that he's essentially reusing the same handful of melodic\arrangement tricks and same narrow sonic palette over and over again (plus, his voice seems to maintain the same drab inflection all the time, which gets grating).. The one, on the other hand, that I really like is 'Seven Swans'.. beautiful, intense folk music.. it seems to have a personal feel to it that the more heavily arranged albums lack.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Yes. Yes I am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Please no discussion of MCD events you may or may not have gotten tickets for, thank you. I really don't want to ban people on Christmas week, it's not good for my Santa rating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭LFC5Times

Hi, this is way off topic but does anybody know why the following message comes up when i go to post on the Soccer Forum. Iv only just signed up.

"LFC5Times, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

LFC5Times wrote:
    Hi, this is way off topic but does anybody know why the following message comes up when i go to post on the Soccer Forum. Iv only just signed up.

"LFC5Times, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation".

Way to randomly post :)

You have to ask for access to the forum. Funnily enough it's called soccer access requests. Post there and you'll have your answer in a bit. There's also a Newbies FAQ and help desk section to be found here. In future it would be better to post any questions in their appropriate sections.

Back on topic...

He's good alight, but not to everyone's taste. Some think he's a genius, others think his music is repetitive and pretentious. Coincidentally as i type this one of his songs has just stared playing on random play (from over 3500 songs). Anywho, get Illinois and see what you make of it. If you don't like then don't bother buying more stuff.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I like him alot. I saw him play in the past and he prounces his name Souf-jan stevens. As in not rhyming with cuff and in rhyming with aloof or pouf or roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

My experience with his 'States' albums is that they sound amazing for 4 or 5 songs and then you start you realise that he's essentially reusing the same handful of melodic\arrangement tricks and same narrow sonic palette over and over again (plus, his voice seems to maintain the same drab inflection all the time, which gets grating).. The one, on the other hand, that I really like is 'Seven Swans'.. beautiful, intense folk music.. it seems to have a personal feel to it that the more heavily arranged albums lack.

I'm a big fan but I can see where you're coming from. Seven Swans is probably my favourite of his albums too, so I'd recommend it to anyone who hasn't heard it yet. Though it was amazing to see the minimalistic folk songs from that album getting the full orchestral makeover on his current tour.

The Transfiguration + String Ensemble + Brass Section = :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Brilliant artist. Probably my favourite singer song writery type at the moment.

Advertisement