Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Booze From Work?

Options
  • 19-12-2006 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭

After reading the thread about odd things given out at work, I was wondering how many people work in places where they hand out drink at the end of the year?

My last job was in an office with a company that had lots of subcontractors and the like, who'd always send in a couple of bottles of wine and spirits at Christmas, and during the last week we'd each get to go up to the PM's office and pick a bottle of wine and a bottle of spirits each (which was particularly good when I managed to swipe a bottle of Middleton before anyone else got to it! :D ).

But in my current job (again in an office), we are getting hundreds of bottles and hampers in, but they're going to the various directors who are wach taking home easily €500 worth of booze and food, and us poor plebs who do all the work get sweet FA!

So anyone else here have a good boss, or a nasty mean grinch like boss?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

we generally get a crate of whatever we want around the festive season... mid-size IT company...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

We raffle it all. Once you win something you're out of next round. That way everyone gets something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Just Say Know

We get it, all names in a hat and you get first pick for first out etc, only fair. One sneaky fecker was snared with a boot full of booze one year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

i worked in concrete one of the cement plants and each office owrker there got about 6 or 7 varied bottles, nothing in this new job yet.... dont relay care tho its only a 25 euro bottle of whisky

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Ours is the same humanjii, whoever's name is on the label, gets the gift. Not that we'd get a huge amount to be honest. My manager gave me a bottle of wine last week, that's about all I'll get. And that's only cos I wasn't talking to him :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Kenjd

We get a crate of beer, 2 bottles of wine and a bottle of spirits. My boss just says take what you like!! Medium sized pub , well, only about 6 bartenders. Only the bar staff get this treatment though. I've been there 12 years and he also gives me a double wage packet Christmas week!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

I generally get biscuits, vodka, wine and Baileys from various customers who I have dealt with over the past year.

We do give wine and chocolates to customers who we have got a lot of work from as a token of our appreciation too.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Sengoku79

we get a bottle of spirits of our choice, a few years back a group of no-longer employee's sat at their desks and drank their lot over lunch, it got very messy afterwards :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

My Dad gets a heap of stuff from work but mainly from different sales reps who have been around to see him during the year. Biscuits, Roses and many, many bottles of Paddy Power and Jameson (which he is very happy about) and doesn't eat chocolate so I win. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

Kenjd wrote:
    We get a crate of beer, 2 bottles of wine and a bottle of spirits. My boss just says take what you like!! Medium sized pub , well, only about 6 bartenders. Only the bar staff get this treatment though. I've been there 12 years and he also gives me a double wage packet Christmas week!!!:D

Glad to hear your treated so well. A little appreciation goes a long(12years) way!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I usually come away with a couple of hundred quids worth of booze at xmas.. Customers bring in drink and chocolates etc for the month coming up to Xmas and its divided out among the 9 office staff... :p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I work for a company of over 220,000 peole and we get nothing.

I think it was the "normal" way of doing xmas until I saw this thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The year I worked security in a brewery was the best EVER :)

Now though we'd usually come away with a couple of bottles of wine each.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Brought home two bottles of wine, a bottle of vodka and a bottle of Jameson tonight. There'll be more before Saturday too. Whatever gets sent in is just divied up between everyone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Got a fine bottle of Asti from my director. His administrative assistant gave me a bottle of Bushmill's Irish Cream (Yummm!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Got a bottle of wine from work even though we have a no alcohol policy at work (ie, it is forbidden to bring alcohol into the workplace, regardless if you consume it or not).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

the suppliers to my place of work bring in lots of drink,i spread it out evenly to the people in my department but some of them wouldnt be mad drinkers so its more alcohol for the rest of us

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Ponster wrote:
    I work for a company of over 220,000 peole and we get nothing.

I think it was the "normal" way of doing xmas until I saw this thread :)

I'd say that is fairly standard practice for many large companies... You'll have to get a job in a smaller company :D

• Registered Users Posts: 47 mikelmessi

Used to work in a job where supplier etc would drop a lot of booze in over Christmas. Thing is us workers (five of us) wouldn't get much. Our boss would nab it all and maybe give us two or three each after receiving about 60 odd bottles etc. He was like a big kid grabbing everthing that came in and the man was 60 years old. With some of the more generous donators he would get them to meet him in the car park and transfer the booze straight to the boot of his car.
    Some of suppliers knew what he was like and would sneak in bottles for us when the boss wasn't around.
    The worst thing, the boss didn't even drink alcohol. The scabbiest b$stard I ever worked for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

Factory I used to work in gave out xmas hampers.

Bottle of Bushmills, bottle of Baileys, crap Terry's All Gold, tin of bicuits, voucher for Ham in a butchers. Except for the drink, it was mostly stuff you'd get in Lidl for nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I run 9 week training courses, usually several at a time and I always get goodies given to me at the end of them all year round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

Absolutely nothing.

We see the hampers going in and according to civil service regulations they cant be accepted. They dont go back out though.

No Party, the christmas meal we organised ourselves for tomorrow lunchtime as some gesture.

No thanks either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Lexus1976

Just got a massive hamper, practically up to my waist.

Bottle of Moet
    Bottle of Red and White Faustino
    2 bottles of Baileys
    Christmas Cake
    Christmas Pudding
    Phone charger
    Bottle Openner
    Large box of Leonards Chocolates

Not even half way through it yet :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Damn it I thought this thread was going to be, y'know, "getting" booze from work.

I was about to confess all about the couple dozen bottles of Jameson stashed in my wardrobe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

This year we got a bottle of red wine and a bottle of white wine... And a box of chocolates... And free Christmas lunch tomorrow... That's about it. Happy enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i (a chef) usually get a few bottles of cheap whiskey and wine from suppliers around this time of year. a few years ago cuisine de france gave vouchers for petrol, that was very good.

Advertisement