Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

broadband in craughwell area

Options
  • 19-12-2006 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

I'm living in the craughwell area and cannot get broadband through phone line as its not available. Is anyone in the area in same situation. If we had enough people showing interest, maybe eircom would get us connected up..

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

craughwell has dsl but is a big parish, try the athenry group bb scheme who cover n and w craughwell

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=570

airwire cover s and w craughwell

http://www.airwire.ie/

digiweb cover the extreme west of the parish with Metro

HTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 AIRWIRE_SUCKS

Stay away from airwire. They are pirates, Operate off DSL lines, have no proper backhaul, and use very unscrupulous business practices.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 winit

thanks for info.
    I'm one mile from Kilcreest. and hoping to get bb from somewhere. athenry-craughwell bb has a 300e installation charge and then 35 per month. not sure if i'm even in the coverage area. Paying upfront the installation charge is a bit difficult at this time of year
    will check out digiweb metro tomorrow and see if they have coverage.

wrong end of Craughwell, you are s/e of the village where the options are most limited.

Have you tried eircom FWA, 1890 457 048, which may operate from the large eircom mast to your south on the hill. The install charge is double everyone else but as you are 2-3 miles from the nearest exchange with DSL your options are, as you have noted , limited. Do any of your neighbours pass for DSL ??

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

There are 2 i would highly recommend

Craughwell Broadband (Ken C)
    And
    Lightnet.ie

Trig

• Advertisement

Lightnet are very good but I dunno how much of Craughwell they cover, they seem to be either side of it

http://www.lightnet.ie/coverage_map.jpg

Is KenC a boards user ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Sevenstar

AIRWIRE_SUCKS

You seem to have an issue with Airwire, were u ripped off or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Sorry i should have posted the links

Craughwell broadband

KenC is a Boards User and also an Irish Wan user. He's quite busy but is really helpful.

Lightnet.ie are easier to get in contact with. Enda is the guy that you'll probably be talking to. Again really helpful.

Lightnet have far more coverage than their map says. I live in craughwell and rang them up on the off chance and am now connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Sevenstar wrote:
    AIRWIRE_SUCKS

You seem to have an issue with Airwire, were u ripped off or something?

Whoever "AIRWIRE_SUCKS" is, is unknown, but he/they have been running a mudthrowing contest here on the forums before.

In questions in regards to Airwire, feel free to contact me personally.

Kind regards,
    Martin List-Petersen
    Technical Manager, Airwire

Stay away from airwire. They are pirates, Operate off DSL lines, have no proper backhaul, and use very unscrupulous business practices.

I would like to correct that. Airwire is operating of 2 fiber trunks in two seperate locations in Galway and with two different backhaul providers. A third fiber trunk is in the plans within the next couple of months.

Whoever you are, you should get your background information right, before you start throwing with stones in a glas-house.

Kind regards,
    Martin List-Petersen

• Advertisement

Try the dsl test again, it can now work over 3 miles from the exchange in some cases ,.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 stefan zalewski

hello all.

'marlow' has tried to damage the activities of irishwan.ie,
    a volunteer's organization based on mutual cooperation.

he was subsequently thrown out of irishwan.ie, we since tried
    to prevent his access to irishwan.ie, only with partial success.

he was thrown out of irishwan.ie as a result of a majority vote, unopposed.

he has has abused my trust and the trust of friends i introduced him to
    in good faith, trying to further his 'business' using ruthless methods
    and a dirty whisper campaign amounting to a character assasination
    since i was not prepared to submit to him.

i have only signed up here to make this one comment.
    i also want to make it clear that is is no reflection on the
    good character and integrity of people that still deal with him.

stefan zalewski
    'marie curie'
    ahish
    ballinruan
    co. clare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mapone1

Marlow wrote:
    Whoever "AIRWIRE_SUCKS" is, is unknown, but he/they have been running a mudthrowing contest here on the forums before.

In questions in regards to Airwire, feel free to contact me personally.

Kind regards,
    Martin List-Petersen

Great , could you provide a proper postal address ? there needs to be more after " Airwire " unless you have declared it a count(r)y or bought Sealand and renamed it .

While we are at it ... why is the " installation fee" 300 euro exactly ( from http://www.airwire.ie/index.php/products ) ?

Especially when ye retain ownership of the equipment ?

Especially when much of the client equipment was just a cheapo router with dd-wrt on it ?

When (better) client equipment is available to purchase for ~ 220 euro ?

I feel sorry for people who really have no other choice than pay such a fee, and "you can go to another provider " is not an answer for many .

So why is it 300 euro now that Airwire is a provider with multiple fibre connections , when free or ~99 euro installs are common ?

How can ye guarantee service when ye are operating on radio bands shared with everything from household routers to a camera in a cowshed ?

EXACTLY how would you approach that problem ? Say the farmer nearby needs to keep an eye on his cows in for calving , what do you do then ?

What do you do if some teenager decides to follow plans he found on the web and make a wireless link to his mate so they can play head to head games and it bothers one of your links ?

How can you possibly base a business on this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Psychobiker

mapone1 wrote:
    How can you possibly base a business on this ?
    :rolleyes:. Irish Broadband had to change due to interference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭matdabomb

You are all being ruthless. Airwire is there if you want to use it or not, But there is no need to slander people and companies when you know very little about them.

Also on a side note Mapone1 asked "So why is it 300 euro now that Airwire is a provider with multiple fibre connections , when free or ~99 euro installs are common ?"

I myself would rather have the company responsible for equipment as say during this storms period your equipment got damaged that is another 200-300 more you have to pay for repairs but this way the company pays for it. Also if in the future the equipment needs upgrading you wont have to pay 200-300 euro aswell.

These are my opinions and comments and thus have no guarantees on my words.

Regards
    Matthew

matdabomb wrote:

I myself would rather have the company responsible for equipment as say during this storms period your equipment got damaged that is another 200-300 more you have to pay for repairs but this way the company pays for it. Also if in the future the equipment needs upgrading you wont have to pay 200-300 euro aswell.

Perfectly valid point. I'm just concerned re frequency overlapping from 'dirty' sources....video senders, microwaves and the like

matdabomb wrote:
    You are all being ruthless. Airwire is there if you want to use it or not, But there is no need to slander people and companies when you know very little about them.

Also on a side note Mapone1 asked "So why is it 300 euro now that Airwire is a provider with multiple fibre connections , when free or ~99 euro installs are common ?"

These are my opinions and comments and thus have no guarantees on my words.

Regards
    Matthew

I should have explained a bit better ,what was meant , since they are now a bigger concern with " multiple fibre feeds " , why are the install fees 300 euro ?

When a similar type/size/area covered company can offer free installs ?

Of course its better from a customers point of view that the equipment on the roof is maintained/replaced/upgraded by the company.If you were signed up with IBB , it could be twice that to replace equipment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭matdabomb

Well I dont know but other suppliers of Broadband to that area IE Lightnet.ie charges 200-250€ Installation charges while I cannot find Craughwellbroadband.com installation charges.

You must remember these companies are not backed or on large scales and in order to be able to afford there Firbre lines it does cost money for set-up of those lines and cost each month. So installtion charges would cover initial set-up of fibre, cost of equipment ( mainstance, upgrades etc ) , Cost of initial set-up on masts and aswell labour.

These factors you all have to take into account for different providers and different situations.

Regards
    Matthew

mapone1 wrote:
    Great , could you provide a proper postal address ?

http://www.airwire.ie or Airwire, Moy, Kinvara, Co. Galway.
    mapone1 wrote:
    I should have explained a bit better ,what was meant , since they are now a bigger concern with " multiple fibre feeds " , why are the install fees 300 euro ?

When a similar type/size/area covered company can offer free installs ?

Of course its better from a customers point of view that the equipment on the roof is maintained/replaced/upgraded by the company.If you were signed up with IBB , it could be twice that to replace equipment.

Airwire is not as big a company as for example IBB or Digiweb and has been established without grants from the government or the likes, so we can not subsidise the costs to install our customers in the same degree as they do. The installation fee barely covers the installer and about half what it costs us to provide the service in the first place. We do not have the same population density in the area, that we cover, as IBB or Digiweb have. If you checked our website, you can see, that we cover a huge chunk of Co. Galway and North Clare.

Simple calculation for costs of install:
    Installer = 150 EUR
    Equipment on customer site = 225 EUR
    Assembly of equipment prior to install = 100 EUR

That's a total of 475 EUR ex. VAT. Our installation fee is 265 ex. VAT. And part of that calculation is not even the share that has to be made from each customer to finance the basestation, of which we've so far established 35 around the county. If a kit gets damaged due to storm, etc., we replace it free of charge.

If you now want to go with somebody that installs for less or nothing, I would check the conditions that you sign up for. Airwire has no cap for example and symmetric speeds, at a price that certainly can compete.

Now, if you absolutly want to own your kit, there are ways of getting broadband that way. Check out http://www.thewan.net/
    mapone1 wrote:
    Especially when much of the client equipment was just a cheapo router with dd-wrt on it ?

Don't know, where you have that information from, but even a client kit based on Linksys and DD-WRT will get your equipment cost up around 185 EUR. Don't forget antenna and steelwork. We have tried if these kits were suitable and they are not. They haven't been deployed anymore for the last 6 months and most of the ones deployed before that have been replaced with other kit.
    he has has abused my trust and the trust of friends i introduced him to
    in good faith, trying to further his 'business' using ruthless methods
    and a dirty whisper campaign amounting to a character assasination
    since i was not prepared to submit to him.

Character assasination ? I would try to look at your own doorstep first. Mud throwing contest, spreading lies that nearly are going into criminal corner and then trying to badmouth me personally and everything that I work with in the public. People will make up their own mind and it's not looking good for you. Talking about the Irishwan, why is it now, that nearly EVERY active person in Co. Galway moved into a new community network ? You still haven't realised the fact, that this new network is not a one person gig.
    mapone1 wrote:
    What do you do if some teenager decides to follow plans he found on the web and make a wireless link to his mate so they can play head to head games and it bothers one of your links ?

There are ways of dealing with that. Matter of fact, a lot of our customers can roam between basestations if necessary. If it becomes financially viable we'll be moving into licensed band and we are trialing that already. The kit we're using for our customers can be upgraded for doing that.

Kind regards,
    Martin List-Petersen
    http://www.airwire.ie

• Advertisement

Marlow wrote:
    .........Airwire, Moy, Kinvara, Co. Galway.

Grand so say a letter addressed to Martin List-Petersen etc would be received by you ?
    Marlow wrote:
    Simple calculation for costs of install:
    Installer = 150 EUR
    Equipment on customer site = 225 EUR
    Assembly of equipment prior to install = 100 EUR

Assembly of equipment = 100 euro . 100 euro for 15 - 20 mins ? If it takes any longer you need to look at what wrong .

So a bit of waffle about relative company sizes for a bit and then slip in that beauty ??

As for the initial cost setup for fibre trunks , i don't think magnet charges that much for 8/8.
    Imho the closest you got to real fibre trunks was nylon speedos at the beach .
    Marlow wrote:
    Talking about the Irishwan .......

Indeed lets have a few words about irishwan especially the relevant bit. And since you were originally connected to it. Of course when you started airwire ( with good wishes and offers of help if you were stuck etc ) there was one small problem .

The main node in Galway had a restriction on it ( that everyone was well aware of ) .

They would not allow other peoples " commercial " type traffic to pass over it.

So your traffic flowed through other nodes. All was well .
    Then one weekend the "alternative" route broke/stopped/died

So you logged into their node , routed your ISP traffic through it and changed the passwords.

If you were that badly stuck , a few words in the "comment " section of the router might have been the way to go.

So of course they noticed the traffic load , but couldn't log in. So they had to climb the tower and reset the passwords. And there it was in black and white , the routes you had added.

Anyway when you were asked wtf you thought you were at , you denied everything.

Days later you came up with " but they run VPNs and and and ... themselves " . Yip , they did . They own it and can do what they like with it.

It is almost the equivalent of borrowing your friends car without asking him , using it as a taxi for the weekend , putting it back in their garage and change the door lock .......then they get in the window and see a " airwire taxis " roof sign.

Marlow wrote:

"Originally Posted by mapone1
    What do you do if some teenager decides to follow plans he found on the web and make a wireless link to his mate so they can play head to head games and it bothers one of your links "

There are ways of dealing with that.

What " ways " would they be ?

The lad in the example has just as much right to his link as you do to yours.

[edit ] I see you changed tack suddenly and did a quick edit , maybe the taxi/car comparison reminded you of who gave you the funds for your van .............

mapone1 wrote:
    Grand so say a letter addressed to Martin List-Petersen etc would be received by you ?

If it's adressed to Airwire, attention me, sure.
    mapone1 wrote:
    Assembly of equipment = 100 euro . 100 euro for 15 - 20 mins ? If it takes any longer you need to look at what wrong .

Your opinion. But even without the 100 EUR for assembly the installation is still cheaper than the cost.
    mapone1 wrote:
    As for the initial cost setup for fibre trunks , i don't think magnet charges that much for 8/8. Imho the closest you got to real fibre trunks was nylon speedos at the beach .

Installing fiber costs the same if it's for 2 mbit or 1 gbit. And you'll be looking at a figure between 3500 - 7500 EUR ex. VAT depending on where you want it brought.
    mapone1 wrote:
    Indeed lets have a few words about irishwan especially the relevant bit. And since you were originally connected to it. Of course when you started airwire ( with good wishes and offers of help if you were stuck etc ) there was one small problem .

The main node in Galway had a restriction on it ( that everyone was well aware of ) .

I'm not sure, who you are and where you have your information from. Airwires network has always been completely independant from the Irishwan and still is completely independant from The Wan. How could we offered a managed service, when we don't manage the bandwidth or equipment ourselfes ?

As for your acusations, maybe you should tell people who you are. I know who Stefan Zalewski (Zed), Psychobiker and Matdabomb are and my contact details are widely available. Maybe you and Airwire_sucks even are one and the same person, just convinient, with creating new accounts every time you need a new identity !

Beyond that, thanks for the free promotion of our company. All publicity is publicity and people that need the service will make up their own minds.

Kind regards,
    Martin List-Petersen
    Airwire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 AIRWIRE_SUCKS

Marlow wrote:
    Maybe you and Airwire_sucks even are one and the same person, just convinient, with creating new accounts every time you need a new identity !

Erm nope.... I'm Airwire_sucks, nobody else, You silly, insignificant, egomaniac.

When are you going to come clean and stop telling lies about your so-called business practises?

You claim fibre backhauls, yet it seems from the people that have met you since Christmas, that you cannot afford to have a wash!. Many people who have come into contact with you have been offended by your smell.

If thats the kind of provider people want to be involved with, then they deserve what they get.

Good luck stinky pants

PS.. Before any moderator wants to just delete this, I can prove my claims. This fella has a personal hygene problem, and I can prove it! If you are going to delete the truth, then shame on you!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

AIRWIRE_SUCKS, your banned for acting liker a child and for abusing others users.

Gentlemen. A time to bury the hatchet, please. I think this has gone on longer than necessary.
    Everybody goes there own separate ways, and have done.

L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

baywatch perm banned for gross abuse.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement