Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coaching Ideas

Options
  • 18-12-2006 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know of a website that would give ideas for drills for training 14-16 year olds. Or does anybody have any ideas themselves?

I was also wondering what you do if you want to practise skills that don't involve using the goal but you have a goalie at the training session. What could the goalie do in the meantime?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

sportplan.com and/or coachinghockey.com are good free resources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

I suppose you could involve the goalies in a passing session...or else set up a goal with cones involving a tackle box resulting on a 1v1 with the keeper. Gotta keep the goalie entertained. I'm a goalie and I HATE when I'm left to stand around when the outfield players are doing stuff, I'd prefer just to be told not to come to training.

As a goalie, I prefer when I have to do some work, like pass in front of the goal that I've to decide whether to intercept or wait for the ball to get to the player and attack it then. A lot of kids are afraid of the keeper so this could be a good chance for these kids to be up against a keeper in a real match situation and not just taking shots from the top of the D.

Hope this helped and wasn't just me ranting :p

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Lisapeep

No thats alot of help! It's great to get a goalies perspective. There are some passing drills that we do and sometimes I get the goalie to join in using her feet. But, like you described, I usually just make sure that most of our drills (eg. tackle boxes etc) end up with the girls taking a shot on goal. Does this get really boring for goalies if the whole session just involves saving shots from the top of the circle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

Well it does for me, but when I was a kid (15 or 16) I didn't mind it as much because school hockey is different to club hockey. As long as I received encouragement I think I was ok.

Another tip I got from someone in the club to stop a kid being detered from playing in goal was to get a different member of the team to look after the goalie gear for each session. As in a different person has to make sure everythings in the bag and its there for the keeper each session. I've never had it happen for me but I heard it's a good idea because sometimes the gear can put a goalie off because there's a long trek to go get it or something.

Advertisement