Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hdtv for xbox 360 - completely clueless

Options
  • 17-12-2006 10:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭

Hey gang.

I got my hands on a 360 and tbh it looks muck on my bog standard tv so I'm thinking of shelling out on a hdtv. I really don't want to spend any more than e950, a great deal less if possible.

I'm kind of baffled when I look at the specs and see the likes of 480, 720, 1080 i's & p's. Essentially what do I need to get a really nice picture from a 360? I suppose its primary use would actually be for ntl digital. Will I need to buy additional cables for connecting up the xbox? I bought a premium 360 which came with a tv / hdtv cable, is this all I need?

Feel free to recommend tvs within my price range, either online or in Dublin.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

All you need is a HDTV that supports 720p minimum which is really just the resolution of 1280x720 almost all Xbox 360 games are rendered at this resolution anyway so 1080 isn't that big of a deal as it scales the image to the display (not actually rendering at 1920x1080).

The HD cables that came with the 360 are called component cables and most HDTV's come with component. The 360 also supports HD resolutions over VGA so a regular computer monitor or the VGA connection on a HDTV (also common these days) can be used if you get the 360 VGA cable.

Important to note there is a little switch on the side of the component cable that must be flicked to HDTV mode to enable the HD resolutions.

As for recommendations Samsung are near the top of the list for me in terms of price/performance.

Also LG and Sharp are worth a look.

Sony are generally considered very good as well but you pay a price premium over the others which may not always be worth it.

For about €950 you should be able to get something in the 26-32" range.

Komplett & Pixmania are worth checking out.

32" HDTV Samsung for €950 on Komplett. Or this slightly older model for €829 which I have the 26" version for my 360 and it works great no real complaints.

This Tosh 32" display for €881 on Pixmania also got good reviews on a German AV magazine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Thanks for the advice.

I was actually looking at that 32' samsung earlier. I was also looking at a 32' philips http://komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=325334&view=detailed

Which do you think is the better of the two?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Can't say I've seen Philips widely recommend but that's just my own personal opinion maybe others have seen differently.

Advertisement