Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appeals on decisions

Options
  • 17-12-2006 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭

I got my Illness benefit taken from me about a month ago, and have appealed the decision (2 weeks ago), does anyone know how long the appeals take? I can't find any information about it on any of the government sites...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

nothing wrote:
    I got my Illness benefit taken from me about a month ago, and have appealed the decision (2 weeks ago), does anyone know how long the appeals take? I can't find any information about it on any of the government sites...

Some info here: http://www.socialwelfareappeals.ie/faq.html ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

Thanks, but I've looked there already, and it doesn't have the info I want :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Did you get sent to a medical examiner before the benefits were withdrawn ?

Did you get sent to a medical examiner before the benefits were withdrawn ?

Yep and after a 3 minute interview, without any relevant questions, she decided to take it away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

nothing wrote:
    Yep and after a 3 minute interview, without any relevant questions, she decided to take it away.

That doesn't sound thorough at all. Did you base your complaint on this ?

[EDIT] This was definitely a medical examiner (i.e. a doctor and not a civil servant?)

• Advertisement

Yes, I also sent along a letter from my doctor which contradicts the decision and details for my psychiartrist and psychologist if they want to contact them.

nothing wrote:
    Thanks, but I've looked there already, and it doesn't have the info I want :(

How will I get the decision?

You will get the Appeals Officer's decision in writing usually within three or four weeks if there has been a hearing. If your appeal is not successful the Appeals Officer will explain why.

Is that not whay you are looking for?

Nope, it doesn't say how long you have to wait to hear about a hearing, or how long you have to wait for a decision if there is no hearing, or even an average waiting time.

nothing wrote:
    Nope, it doesn't say how long you have to wait to hear about a hearing, or how long you have to wait for a decision if there is no hearing, or even an average waiting time.
    Why not telephone them and ask?

Why not telephone them and ask?

Well if I hear nothing tomorrow, I am going to ring them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 mattDL

You can claim Jobsekeers Allowance or benefit (depending on PRSI paid in 2004) while awaiting the result of your appeal. You will not be subject to the "seeking work" condition while your appeal is bein dealt with. This would (or should) have been pointed out to you on the notification you received from Illness Benefit section). You should go to your nearest Sicial Wlefare office and apply as well as looking for it to be back-dated to the date you were last paid on IB.

Failing that, claim Supplementary Welfare Allowance from your local CWO in your nearest HSE office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 mattDL

Forgot to mention: Appeals can take anthing between 2 to 6 months to be dealt with. I've seen cases take over a year to be processed, so don't hold your breath !!

Can't get jobseekers allowance because I don't meet the seeking work condition and I'm a student.

mattDL wrote:
    Forgot to mention: Appeals can take anthing between 2 to 6 months to be dealt with. I've seen cases take over a year to be processed, so don't hold your breath !!

Oh balls... Note to self... Call them every day...

Called them today, I have a second assessment on the 17th January... So it's not too bad, because I'll hear back about a week later.

On the plus side I also rang about my disability allowance today, it should be through in early January.

Now I just need to find out who's going to backpay me for the two months without moneys....

OK, so had some bad news, didn't get my first appeal, but I did appeal it again, also didn't get the disability allowance because of it, so had to appeal that too.

Had my third assessment today, it was for disability allowance, and the assessor said he's going to say I'm suitable! :)

Finally, it took 4 months, but it's done...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

A friend of mine had similar problems a few years back with Disability Benefit which was stopped after examination by the Medical Referee. Got it reinstated by sheer persistence.

However, my friend's medical condition was a long term one. She was called for a follow-up medical examination and the nonsense started all over again. Be aware that you can be called again by them for examination at any time.

Also, after a few years on benefit for the same problem she was called up again for examination. She tried to get copies of the previous medical reports that they prepared on her by way of a Freedom of Information Act (FoI) application only to be informed that the records were destroyed after a certain period of time ! So, it might be a good idea to get a copy of your Social Welfare records including everything to do with your recent dealings by way of a FoI application which should cost you nothing.

Thank you for the advice, I think I will do that this summer when college stress is off me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

The FOI application is free if it's just in relation to your own presonal records. But it helps the FOI Officer if you spell out what it is exactly you are requesting.

Well after months and months of this... Got two nice fat cheques last week :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

As a matter of interest what is wrong with you that it is not distinguisable enough to be seen by 2 out of 3 examiners. Tell me to bog off if I am being nosey but I am nosey. I did not know you could collect disability while being a student? Is it stress?

I suffer from depression and agoraphobia, so most of the time I can't even attend lectures, let alone have a job. Have to repeat this year because of it, as I did in third year. So 6 years to do a 4 year degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

Good luck for the future mate.

However, don't forget to do what Nutley Boy suggested and get copies of all of the medical reports and associated papers now by way of a FoI Act application.

BTW I think that when the medical referee wants to see you they get some notes or a form from your GP beforehand. I am aware of some people who got those notes by FoI Act applications and were shocked by what they read about themselves !!

Be sure for your own sake to get copies of all that they have on you as you might well need it for future reference.

Going to do that soon. Can't believe I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Advertisement