Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garage open on Sunday + car start issue

Options
  • 17-12-2006 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi there,

My car won't start at all today and I have no clue where it comes from. It does a rather strange noise @ startup and the clock in the car has gone to O:OO so I thought it could be the battery. But the light inside the car works fine...
    Help !

Would you know how I can get someone to look at the car and fix it - on a Sunday ??

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Definatly sounds like the battery to me. The battery would have to be completely dead to stop the light working. Get a pair of jump leads and try jump starting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Turbidine

thanks for the tip! where can i find jump leads? ;)
    also, at startup, there is a noise like "klak klak klak" - would that still be the battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Turbidine wrote:
    thanks for the tip! where can i find jump leads? ;)
    also, at startup, there is a noise like "klak klak klak" - would that still be the battery?
    Yes, the starter moter solenoid can make that noise when there's not enough current to turn the car over. Do any of your friends have jump leads? If not, i'd get on the phone and see if any car accessory shops are open near you today. Some petrol stations also sell them, but try to avoid buying cheapo ones as they don't work as well. Another alternative if the car's on or near a hill or if you have strong friends is to push start it.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Turbidine

Thanks! We tried pushing it already - didn't work...will see if I can find those jump leads then! Once I have them what do I do with them ? sorreyy, am a newbie, have to ask those silly questions....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Turbidine, check your PMs (Private Messages) - might be able to give you a jump start, depending where you are.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,141 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

When trying to push start the car, get your mates to push the car, put the car in second gear with the clutch in, have the ignition on and slowly let the clutch out. The car might jump and start for you then. If it does take the car for a good spin for about 15 or 20 mins, this will give the battery time to build up a charge.

If the battery is not the issue then it could be your alternator which charges the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

bazz26 wrote:
    When trying to push start the car, get your mates to push the car, put the car in second gear with the clutch in, have the ignition on and slowly let the clutch out. The car might jump and start for you then. If it does take the car for a good spin for about 15 or 20 mins, this will give the battery time to build up a charge.

If the battery is not the issue then it could be your alternator which charges the battery.
    If it's the OP's first time doing this, then i'd suggest letting the clutch out sharply (ie, "with a bang"). If he lets the clutch out too slowly, the car will just come to a halt without the engine turning over at all, or quickly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,141 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Anan1 wrote:
    If it's the OP's first time doing this, then i'd suggest letting the clutch out sharply (ie, "with a bang"). If he lets the clutch out too slowly, the car will just come to a halt without the engine turning over at all, or quickly enough.

Good point.

Advertisement