Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OU Psychology Degree

Options
  • 17-12-2006 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hi,

I'm set to start my second year of the psychology degree with the OU in february and was wondering if anyone here has already completed it? I'm doing two modules a year to get the 360 points needed..just wondering what people have went on to do with their degree..

I hope to go on to do research, maybe behavioural psychology..

Also would anyone have info on what is involved in doing a masters degree..any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

you'll need a 2.1 to do a Masters in psychology. There are 2 kinds, a taught Masters or a research Masters. Even in the taught MSc you'll need to produce a research dissertation. Taught MSc's will be in the usual courses, but you'll have to look through the sites to see what they can be in. There's a long list! Health Psych, Occupational Psych, Counselling Psych etc. Try PSI (www.psihq.ie) or the BPS (www.bps.org.uk) With a research MSc, you'll need to find a supervisor with an interest in what you plan to research. Have a look at some of the past threads on this forum, quite a few people are doing behavioural work.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

LeoSeine - are you working full time and doing 120 points? You'll find that *extremely* hard to keep up at level two, and virtually impossible at level 3.

I am in my 2nd last year (hoping to work part time for my level 3 courses so I can do the two in one year), hoping to do clinical or neuro psych masters, or a phd if i can get into one. Very interested in working with brain injuries/mental illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

i did a placement in the NRH in the brain inuiry unit, they have a great psychology department there and they seem to take people on for work experience sometimes in the psych department. the clinical neuropsychologist used to run behavioural meetings etc and had a few assistants. NRH is a good place all the for work experience :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Elainew

I completed a Bsc hons psychology degree with Ou in 2003. For the past 3yrs I have been working in residential care to get experience with working with children with behavioural problems. My goal was to go on to do a phd in clinical psychology. I began a msc in psychology with the OU in 2004. I am currently taking time out from the above due to work constraints. If you are thinking of continuing your studies with the OU into masters level, be aware that taking two modules at a time is difficult to say the least. My advice to you would be to take the course full-time and not part-time as I had. If you have any more questions, dont hesitate to PM me.

Advertisement