Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hate being alone

Options
  • 16-12-2006 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

first off, i dont know if its just me or not but i cant seem to relax when im on my own! im fine when im with people-i can stay out all night or stay in once im with company, but when im on my own i get agitated and really quite down! i havent got the money to go out every night , and i dont live really close to friends,.. any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Well you should be able to survive without others around you all the time. Maybe you are too dependant on them. Are you a reader? A good book is one way of passing the time and can be enjoyable. Like the poster below, I enjoy being alone a good amount of the time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'm the opposite, I love being alone. Maybe you're just very extroverted. How old are you? Have you always been like this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

I live in Maynooth area too, and it's not a bad place to be alone in!

Lots of things to do, just get out there - it doesn't have to cost anything!

Volunteer for something, VdeP maybe??

S

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

its not that there is nothing to do around the area-its the fact that there is nobody to do it with! i would consider myself quite extroverted, and its not specific people i have to be around to feel myself, it can be anybody so would that count as being dependant on people ? i dont know, and i would love to be able to relax alone! but i get agitated and cant for some reason its strange! i am 19 by the way. thank u for your replies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It's perfectly normal to want to be out with people, socializing. I don't think your problem is with being alone but rather perhaps spending too much time alone. As an extrovert being around other people "recharges your batteries" so to speak, which are drained when you're alone. Introverts are the opposite.

Maybe joining a club or a job might help. You don't have to go out drinking to be around people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Think about why you feel insecure without people. Perhaps you don't know yourself enough? That sounds weird, but think about it. Do you reflect much? Are you creative? etc.

You need a solitary hobby. Music? Movies? Reading? Writing? Playing an instrument? Anything that interests you really, just to stimulate your mind and relax you while alone.

Idly browsing the web or flicking through TV channels even makes me, pretty much an introvert, frustrated and agitated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Aoife-FM104

I used to be like you. Then I was forced to spend a good bit of time alone, so I became the opposite (started disliking being around people!)

At the moment I'm back in the don't like being alone phase. So I know how you feel.

Feel free to hit me on messenger anytime. Just send me a PM!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

We all get lonely at times. That's normal. Read a good novel as suggested by Ruu. I do and it transports me to someplace else in my mind. Chat on boards and make friends here. Join a social group that does something you enjoy doing. Join a voluntary group that helps others in need. Or heaven forbid, become a mod and chase people like me around on boards ensuring that I'm not being naughty (a real challenge sometimes!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭carryboy

It's healthy to be alone sometimes. You've time to ponder on things you don't seriously think of when you're with somebody. You also learn to prioritize. Give it a try without fear. You'll learn the value of it.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i do have a job, i am usually busy-its not that i am often alone, its when i am that i just become the total opposite of my usual self. my hobby is horse riding which i love and am very dedicated to-but it is not something i can just pick up and do when i feel like i need to keep occupied. i used to read but i find i cannot concentrate for long enough when at home alone to do it, whereas i read a lot when on the bus into work.

• Advertisement
Advertisement