Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music, Media and Performance Technology

Options
  • 14-12-2006 9:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭

Is anyone here doing this course? If so, whats it like and what do you hope to get out of it? I'm strongly considering it and need some first-hand opinions. Or if your doing any of the computing courses (Computer games development, Digitial Media Design etc.) let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Steve01 wrote:
    Is anyone here doing this course? If so, whats it like and what do you hope to get out of it? I'm strongly considering it and need some first-hand opinions. Or if your doing any of the computing courses (Computer games development, Digitial Media Design etc.) let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

Computer Courses? In UL? On the UL Forum?

Well I NEVAR!?!

Heh, a good few of us are doing the 'old' Computer Systems course. By old, it changed around a bit since we started, modules and co_op time changing for eg.

As a course, CS is grand. Put in the ground work in first year and you'll be fine.
    Maths do play a big part and be prepared to put work into them.

Glad I did it? Hell yea, honestly wouldn't trade it for a similar course or college.

Games Dev and CS overlap in year1 for a lot but branch off in year2.

I know there are a few doing Music tech aswell, they can answer for that.

And I'm sure the rest of the CS crowd will reply forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Steve01 wrote:

There's a society to back this course up too...it's only new...Digital arts soc... so there's a social side to the courses like this too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 corbo

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

first of all

i dont do this course but i have done other music tech courses and production courses etc

but i think its worth a mention that even though these courses are great fun expecting to get a career in the immediete field is fairly naieve and maybe 5 of the 70 ppl doing the course will get a job as say a sound engineer / music producer / tv producer for example

as long as you dont mind this then the courses are great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

PeakOutput wrote:
    first of all

i dont do this course but i have done other music tech courses and production courses etc

but i think its worth a mention that even though these courses are great fun expecting to get a career in the immediete field is fairly naieve and maybe 5 of the 70 ppl doing the course will get a job as say a sound engineer / music producer / tv producer for example

as long as you dont mind this then the courses are great

Yeah I'm under no illusions regarding the odds of getting the cool jobs. what about the other 65 people, is there anything they can get out of this degree? I hate to think of people spending 4 years doing a course (enjoyable though it may be) and ending up stuck in McDonalds for the rest of their lives.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 corbo

corbo wrote:

I believe you're the poster who sent me the private message regarding the course. Thanks for that it was very helpful. I'm focusing more towards Multimedia at the moment since it delivers a lot of the same modules and offers a broad range of jobs. There's a course in CIT which is closer to my home (Dungarvan) than UL, which is a factor I'm bearing in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

What sort of career are you after? If you're interested in audio engineering I'd look elsewhere, if you're more interested in computing, programming and audio/multimedia research it would probably suit you a lot better. This course plus other courses in the CSIS at UL such as Computer Games Development are derived largely from the Computer Systems course. As regards getting a job, it can be tough but once you land something it can be an incredibly interesting field to work in.

personally going into this field (from a general point of view) i would consider it a must to want to be self employed and set up your own business.

i personally love the area and although i originally wanted to only be a sound engineer/ producer over the courses iv taken i found a much wider choice for what id like to do. for example multimedia software development etc etc

i do think the "wide open" jobs you are talking about walking into are probably the jobs you could get weather you did this course or not as there is simply not a huge number of jobs anywhere in the sound/video/television world (in ireland) the one place i see as a guaranteed job would be web development but dont know how much of it is covered in this course. but like you said your not under any illusions in that regard so we can leave that out as a reason for not doing it because with any sort of a degree you should not end up in mcdonalds.

"would you like a career with that?"

PeakOutput wrote:
    with any sort of a degree you should not end up in mcdonalds.

"would you like a career with that?"

With the exception of an Arts degree (I think they should rename it 'general college degree')

• Advertisement

if you look at most recruitment agencies there are just as many jobs that ask for "some 3rd level degree qualification" instead of a degree in blah blah blah........so if an arts student has 2 brain cells to rub together even they will be on a decent salary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 crimbob-

whas d quawk!!! wel corbo, hows tricks!!haa!!

Im thinking about doing this course next year. Im a music head and im alright at using an ol computer. Im looking to do a course anchored around music, not computers. Sounds like you'd want to seriously love using the computer for the music, media and peformance tech course. True??
    Someone point me in the right direction. Music course with other new things thrown in is what I want. Is this course suitable??
    Music, im cool with that. Media, Cool with that too. Performance, cool with that. But its this "tech" thing kind of throwing me off.

Cheers, hows d knee corbo??,

haha,
    Crimbo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

From what little I know about this course, you'd need to be fairly computer literate to do well in it....if I'm not mixing it up with another course it has whole modules based around creating music synthetcially on a MAC

ninty9er wrote:
    creating music synthetcially on a MAC

you make that sound more abstract then it is............

youll need to know your way around a computer alright but there will be two types of people on the course......the tech heads(me) who are better at using the technology ,in my case to make other peoples music better, and then there are the music people who arent great with technology but could compose a good tune in a few mins

dont worry about having to use macs(i dont know if you have to on this course but it dont matter really) youll pick up the technique to using them fairly fast

crimbob- wrote:
    Music, im cool with that. Media, Cool with that too. Performance, cool with that. But its this "tech" thing kind of throwing me off.

I'd say forget about this course so, its based in the computer science dept in UL and pretty much focuses entirely on music and media computing applications. Well, at least if the masters course is anything to go by.

cornbb wrote:
    I'd say forget about this course so, its based in the computer science dept in UL and pretty much focuses entirely on music and media computing applications. Well, at least if the masters course is anything to go by.

hey corn are you doing the masters???? i was talking to the director of the degree course and he said even though i havnt a degree i should apply for the masters as my other qualifications might get me in just wondering how did you find getting into it and what is the course like(1 year as far as i know sounds intense)

also i assume theres an interview whats that like??

Hey, I did the course last year. I thought it was savage, loads of hard work but loads of fun too. Its not what a lot of people expect, the focus is on computers, electronic music and composition much more than studio based stuff, but you do get the oportunity to do whatever you like in the studio and its all really interesting stuff anyway. The interview process is fairly straightforward, they basically want to know that you're really really into music and fairly open-minded about new, weird types of music. You might have to submit a portfolio if you don't have a degree but thats not a big deal. Send me a PM if you want more info or interview tips or listening recommendations. Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 red_osama

Hi I was wondering if anybody on here is doing this course and could tell me what its like, my younger brother is starting it in september and wanted to know what the modules and timetable etc. are like.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Merged with same thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Yea the hours and all that jazz would be handy for me too as im thinking about switiching this with arts(my current no 1 choice)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Cmon you lot, you cant base the decision to do a course based on the hours!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Course you can.

Some people base their decision on amount of women!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Some people base their decision on amount of women!

Damn right Petee, :D:D

Advertisement