Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rover 75

Options
  • 14-12-2006 4:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I am thinking about buing a Rover 75 and I am wondering if I am mad......
    Any views on the car, servicing, getting spare parts etc. I am not a car buff so any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Neighbour has had one from brand new (about 2 years old now). He's had it to the garage for repairs a few times, but whether that was a fault of the car or the driving I couldn't say.

Apparently there's some arrangement for parts servicing etc., so there should be no problems there.

Unless you're getting a great deal, I'd look at something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

You would want to be getting a really really good deal ... otherwise walk on bye.

Funnily enough (aside from the clergyman's car type looks), it was one of Rovers better efforts in more recent times.

Years ago my cousin bought a 620ti brand new for half price, off a dealer in the North. Seemingly, a certain boy scout organisation had set off a few crackers nearby, and the windows of the dealership were blown in, with very superficial damage to the cars in the showroom. Good motor in its day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Unkel has one he'll give you the low down when he comes on later.

Mike.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Rover 75 is a beautiful car and with what is classed as one of the best ride qualities in any car. You can get some really great value at the moment, if you want something a little sportier have a look at the MG ZT, my next car will be a MG ZT 260 V8, now that is some car. I would so agree with a 75

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

They're not a bad car in fairness and there's no problem with parts availability either. I sold a 2000 one a few weeks ago and talked to the parts department and he told me the 75 doesn't give much trouble and is well built, I'd go for the diesel one as its got a BMW engine though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,141 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The diesel is the one to go for. It has a 135bhp version of the 2.0 litre turbo diesel unit found in the BMW 3 Series. Also try and avoid the Classic spec model as standard equipement on this is fairly basic. Higher spec models will not cost you any more.

The 1.8 litre Rover K Series engine is prone to head gasket failure if the coolent level is not watched regularly so you are at the mercy of the previous owner on how they cared for the car. Other than that they are pretty solid, well put together, parts are widely available and you get alot of car for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I'm also considering a 75 ATM, can't go wrong with the BMW diesel engine and they can be bought for peanuts in the UK... Happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

TomMc wrote:
    Years ago my cousin bought a 620ti brand new for half price, off a dealer in the North. Seemingly, a certain boy scout organisation had set off a few crackers nearby, and the windows of the dealership were blown in, with very superficial damage to the cars in the showroom. Good motor in its day.

The 620 is a rebadged Honda accord. Bar the shape of a few body panels (longer boot lid, higher bonnet, every other component is the same) We have one of each in the family, great cars.

RE the 75 I really like it and will be looking at maybe getting one in a couple of years, probably to use as a comfy work car.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,864 ✭✭✭✭unkel

mike65 wrote:
    Unkel has one he'll give you the low down when he comes on later

Which is now :)

Bazz said the most important things already:
    bazz26 wrote:
    The diesel is the one to go for. It has a 135bhp version of the 2.0 litre turbo diesel unit found in the BMW 3 Series. Also try and avoid the Classic spec model as standard equipement on this is fairly basic. Higher spec models will not cost you any more.

The 1.8 litre Rover K Series engine is prone to head gasket failure if the coolent level is not watched regularly so you are at the mercy of the previous owner on how they cared for the car. Other than that they are pretty solid, well put together, parts are widely available and you get alot of car for the money.

I got an '01 1.8 Club (all electric, multi airbags, dual-climate) with partial Rover SH and 64k miles for €6k recently for Mrs unkel. For that money you'd struggle to get a similar condition/mileage/year Skoda Octavia, VW Golf or poverty spec Ford Mondeo. Need I say more?

Our car is going to cover a very low annual mileage, so petrol was the one to go for. The build quality and the ride are impressive compared to most, if not all other cars in this class. If you're going to cover highish mileage, the best of the bunch is the diesel, which is a de-tuned BMW engine from the 320d/520d. Oh and for the few of you that don't know, the Rover 75 was designed and built by BMW

All in all, there are some issues, but the value for money is spectacular!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,141 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Rover 75 prices are holding quite steady at the moment especially high spec diesels as people realise that they are generally a good car.

Maybe well worth a trip over to the UK and pick one up dirt cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 BCHP

thanks for all your advice on this one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

Pretty thing too, in a stately old maid kind of way.
    My missus is DYING to get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

TCP/IP wrote:
    my next car will be a MG ZT 260 V8
    Is that the 4.6 V8 from the old Mustang & T-Bird engines from the 90's they used in the states?

Advertisement