Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ice Skating

Options
  • 14-12-2006 11:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭

I've just gotton up after a work night out. "Let's go Ice Skating" someone suggested. I now feel like I spent the night getting anally pummelled by two grizzly bears. I'm not an ice skater, I know this now...I did think while I was putting on the skates that it might be something that I might just take to, like a duck to water if you will, but I was wrong, horribly and tragically wrong.

I don't have any video of the event but if you look at the video on this page you'll get some idea of my skating skills.

Within 2 minutes I was on the floor and did the first bit of damage to myself. This won't be the same for a month or so. For some reason, my right calf is in some pain also, I think it was all that "push out the way" that people were telling me to do. Somewhat unnatural in boots that almost tie up to your knee. Somewhere along the journey I also cut my elbow - a nice physical scar to remind me of my fun evening.

I really am a shadow of the man I used to be....and I paid €16 for the privilege.

For god's sake people, don't do it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Haha, I told you not to do it! Look at it this way, at least you can get your other half to look after you now. Put the feet up over the Christmas period!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Just to momentarily divert the thread for a sec fade2black, was it down at peoples park you went ? Is it a large area ? Nice ?

Back on topic - Went once, spent most of the time trying to stand up again, dont remember much of it so i'm willing to go again, although I may regret it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

(c-13- yep the one down by the park...large enough, "nice"...you know I really don't have anything positive to say about it but you know...if you can skate...it's grand. One thing though...I handed in my jacket and they gave me a number...no ticket or anything...that's decidedly dodgy)

And Jonesy....you really should have spent a bit longer telling me not to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Backtoblack

I went last year at the RDS, I was useless..
    I had roller skates when I was younger and thought how difficult could iceskating be.... its pretty godam tough!
    Good fun though, if anyone hasn't tried it , its a good laugh!!:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I have a feeling my friends are going to try to convince me to go tonight. We're going to the Winter Wonderland on Princes Street and there's a massive rink there... I can't, and never could master it, rollerblade, so I assume I won't be able to iceskate!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

fade2black wrote:

And Jonesy....you really should have spent a bit longer telling me not to go.

Well when you have your mind set on something!! Hehe. Just put it down as experience now fade.. It's nice to experience things. Now you know why not to go ice skating again and you can help me in my anti-ice skating terror campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

... and as if you didn't feel bad enough about how crap you are at skating - there are always some little shytebags who are smaller, faster and 100 x more skillfull than you are on the ice. And they always insist on 'whoooossshing' by you at 200mph. Bakstards :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

Ooh, now I'm well scared of going iceskating...myself, my two mates had planned on going with our respective gf's sometime soon. Haha dunno if I wanna put myself through that kind of embarrasment :\

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭sioda

You've gotta try it at least once I love it one or two whiskeys b4 always lessens the pain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

i went ice skating when i was 14 in london, thought i was great, i did it like a pro. went to the exact same place 12 yrs later...not so good.....i wasnt very bad, but i wasnt very good either. i almost killed Dev from corrie's son too...he was in my way..and i still hadnt mastered the art of "turning on skates"......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Daily, I'd hear the idiot announcer screaming for people to move to the side of the Smithfield ice-rink because somebody had fallen and had to be carted off. Last Saturday someone was carried off in an ambulance...

Don't do it folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Going ice-skating at Somerset House in London in the new year. Hopefully the extra 'padding' gained during the festive period should cushion any falls :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I've been three times over the past 8 years or so, a bit of fun but definitely something to start slowly at...of course after a while you get a bit cocky because you haven't fallen over in the last five minutes...then you try to go a bit faster...ouch :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

I've never been ice skating yet, but may end up going this year. One thing I need to know is, how easy is it to wind up doing the splits? (I'm a guy) That scares me like nothing else. :eek:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

OctavarIan wrote:
    I've never been ice skating yet, but may end up going this year. One thing I need to know is, how easy is it to wind up doing the splits? (I'm a guy) That scares me like nothing else. :eek:
    Legs together man and if all else fails just fall over backwards... worked for me the two times ive gone.

Damn, now i want to go along to that Smithfiled thingy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Went a few times last year when the whole "Christmas in Killarney" (year two of three, folks -come along before the local businesses get bored with making money again) thing kicked off. Great craic when you get going, but like connundrum says there do tend to be people around who could care less for other people on the ice.

Probably get back on the skates again some time this season too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Same as you Faith, I tried rollerblading during the Summer and that ended with me having many, many bumps and bruises so I won't be trying ice skating in the near future. I don't want my legs ripped apart or arsh bones broken. :)

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I went skating at the ice rink at Chelse Pier in New York a good few years ago, and I definitely would not recommend a few scoops beforehand. I'd imagine I would have been terrible anyhow, but on the upside a few american girls felt sorry for the poor paddy's who looked like they were imitating Bambi's first steps. My bloody arse hurt something rotten after it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭Naos

I went last year with a few of the lads. I found the secret to be.....

Go as fast as possible. I'm sure theres a physics formula out there, the reason why motorcycles dont topple over... I'm just to lazy. Anyway it worked.

Of course stopping and other people may pose a potential threat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Backtoblack

ixoy wrote:
    Daily, I'd hear the idiot announcer screaming for people to move to the side of the Smithfield ice-rink because somebody had fallen and had to be carted off. Last Saturday someone was carried off in an ambulance...

Don't do it folks.

Ixoy : bringing reality to the masses.

And try not to go out too much either if you can avoid it at all
    - them buses are killing machines out to get you!!!!

har har! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Shards

When I went ice-skating last year I got a severely bruised coccyx, if that wasn't bad enough I had to deal with my lad mates looking taken a back (then sniggering) when they overheard the paramedic telling me to put ice on my coccyx to stop the swelling(I'm a girl), immature bastards :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

I feel like I've been hit by a train.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

I went in the rockafeller centre in new york, it was actaully the most fun ever. Brilliant.

Some guy proposed to his girlfriend in the middle of it.(It was the day after valentines day)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

The other half has booked the RDS for the 20th, now I'm scared.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

And you should be!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭BlueSpiral

One of our friends feel during a class trip, but she was taken off in an ambulance just to check her out, but she was fine. But a few passerbys looked a little confused and weirded out when they saw about 70 odd students waving at a blearing ambulance that went rushing past.

Ah I love ice skating, can't wait to go back. but I don't know if I'll be going again this year as I still haven't organised my birthday celebrations yet and some of my friends wouldn't, well don't want to, be up to it. :/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Sweet wrote:
    And you should be!
    Break up by assination!?
    Nooooe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

connundrum wrote:
    ... and as if you didn't feel bad enough about how crap you are at skating - there are always some little shytebags who are smaller, faster and 100 x more skillfull than you are on the ice. And they always insist on 'whoooossshing' by you at 200mph. Bakstards :mad:
    That would be me!:D

I'm deadly at ice-skating. It just comes naturally to me. I did have roller blades when I was younger so that might have contributed.
    But yea, I find it so much fun. My brother is good too, and whenever we go, we have a game, who-ever can cause the most people to fall wins. It's so cruel, but UNBELIEVABLE fun!

Can't wait to go again.

Advertisement