Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tag, you're it

Options
  • 14-12-2006 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭

BBC News
    A $50,000 (£25,000) competition has been launched to find the best way to tag a 400m-wide asteroid.

Well smart people of Boards.ie. Any ideas?

If your idea wins I demand 90% of the prize money.

Could we not just nudge it a little and get it trapped in orbit around earth. Then get a few more asteroids. After a while we it might be possible to play are real life game of Asteroids.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,265 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The Apophis space rock is set to make a close pass of Earth in 2029 and scientists would like to confirm that it poses no danger to our world.

What's the point? Global warming will have killed us all off by then anyway...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Tie all the Feedback-posting-"Where's my free speech?/Mod are nazis!"-type whingers into a big ball, then make a catapult out of the elastic from their trouser waistbands & fire them into space at the asteroid* to knock it off course.

* - Asteroid may not actually be required for this solution to be executed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    What's the point? Global warming will have killed us all off by then anyway...

The $50,000 would be the point! You'd live like a millionaire until 2029 with that sort of money!

My Fool Proof idea. Make my cheque out to cash ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Spastafarian

Here's what we do:
    First, we make a giant triangle shaped spaceship which can be controlled with only a stick and a 2 buttons (one to shoot a blob of white stuff and the other to go into hyperspace).
    Then we send our spaceship into space to hunt down the asteroid and break it up into more manageable chunks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Is your name not connundrum ? :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Rabies wrote:
    Is your name not connundrum ? :/

Yes, but some fools seem to have a problem with me lodging a cheque with 'connundrum' on it..

Maybe it has something to do with me whispering 'Boing boing boing boing' to myself as I hand it over. Who knows :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Rubber cheques not ftw /0\

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Wow that is kool i didn't know that the "29" had a name yet apophis eh? i like it my fav character in SG1 as well.

Ye apophis will be close one in fact about a year or so ago was there not a report up that it may even pass between the earth and the moon visible from Ireland ? such a close pass will defiantly effect the tides in both the Atlantic and the Irish sea hope it does not do anything to bother our good friends the dutch i love Amsterdam.

anyway who is up for a big pissup the night it passes over? party in my place we can get locked and watch the whole thing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭Archeron

Simple methods are always the best. Just make the worlds largest tranquiliser gun, say about the lenght of the port tunnel. Lodge one of those giant industrial deep sea oil drill bits into it (which of course will have a luminous orange tag on it) and just shoot the asteroid at your leisure. It may be advisable to have a spare gun ready on the off chance that the first one misses though. (it may also be advisable to have a large army at the ready in case the aforementioned miss causes some sort of unfortunate intergalactic war)

And if we really want to have fun, make the line out of Grandma's antique diamond tether and see if we can get the asteroid to pull the whole planet on an exciting space adventure.

Stick someone up there and whenever he sees Earth getting closer tell him to yell very loudly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Well it's clear none of ye mongs will win the prize "TAG IT" not blow the fupping thing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

First, we make a giant garbage ball, then we fire it at the asteroid, knocking it off course. Thus solving the problem forever. FOREVER

Alternatively, nuke it to hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,758 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Here's what we do:
    First, we make a giant triangle shaped spaceship which can be controlled with only a stick and a 2 buttons

...out of cornflakes!?!

Sounds like a plan alright

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Maybe we should get this guy to place a tracking device on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,758 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Gordon wrote:
    Maybe we should get this guy to place a tracking device on it?

hee hee big tall cornflakes man

Advertisement