Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

16/17 too young to be "tied down"??

Options
  • 13-12-2006 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

just a curiosity . . . im 16/17 been in a relationship with my bf for bout a year and sometimes i kinda wonder should i not be out like most other people my age havin fun. and i dont mean getting off with every other guy just not so much "tied down" (if that's what you'd call it) / stuck to one person.

what do you think?

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

what do you think?

At your age it's probably not a good idea to get tied down.
    I believe that you have to go a bit wild at some point in your life and if you don't do it in your late teens early twenties then you'll end up doing it later. It's kinda like something you just have to get out of your system at some point in your life.
    You've plenty of time yet though.
    I presume if you are even thinking this then everything is not fantastic with your current b/f? At the end of the day, the decision is yours.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,220 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Everybody is different. For some 16/17 may be too young, for others not. There are people in their 20s who still are too young so to speak, while others are married.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Honestly do what ever makes you happy. If you are happy in your current situation stay at it if not or semi-happy then consider being single.

Dont let it bother you, not to be condescending but you are still young so you have loads of time left to breakup/makeup with new BFs.

If its starts to bother you break up with your current Bf but try to stay friends that way if you like him again in 3, 6, 12 months down the line you can get back together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

You can always go out having wild times with your boyfriend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

If its starts to bother you break up with your current Bf but try to stay friends that way if you like him again in 3, 6, 12 months down the line you can get back together.

Ah now, thats horrible advise. Think of the poor chap. 16/17 living in hope of getting back with her.

Dont "cover your bases". If you breakup you breakup. Make it definitive. Dont sting someone along. No, you cant just be friends, not untill you've been apart (with no contact) for a good long period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

The amount of times I hear people say your to young, dont get tied down etc etc is amazing, they have these opinion because they didn't find the right person for then at a young age, it doesnt apply to everyone and only you know if it applies to you.

I started a relationship when I was 16 and never felt the urge to move on or try something differant. Prior to meeting her I had a strict 2 month and move on rule but for some reason I just didnt want to "not be with her"

Everything felt right, so to cut a long story short 12 years later we are happily married.

So my advise would be go with your gut feelings, don't move on for the sake of it or because other people tell you to try option b, c and d, you may just be walking away from option A1 and certainly dont stay in a relationship you are not 100% sure about if its not what you really want.

"Know thy Self"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,905 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Eh, aren't you 16 yourself? I think it might be a bit too soon to be saying 'never' tbh. Give it a year or two maybe, you're young yet :)

OP, don't tie yourself down - just stay together for as long as your happy.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I went out with a girl for three years starting at 17. We're not together now, but I was vwouldnt trade those times...

You only got one shot at your life, so just do whatever is making you happy. If he makes you happier than you think being alone would, stick with it. Otherwise, you shouldnt really be with him, anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Don't worry your head about the future just yet OP.:) If you are happy now then go ahead with that and see what happens around the corner. Enjoy life with your partner, travel and take care of each other. Have fun now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I've been going out with my boyfriend since i was 15, i'm 20 now and nearly finished college, i don't regret it because we have so much fun. Don't worry about being "tied down" if you're happy. Some people have told me that i'm mad but i don't really care, at the end of it we have loads of fun together so who cares what age i am?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭onemanband

I started going out with a 26 year old girl when I was 16 and it lasted 7 years. The older I get the more I regret being tied down during this period and missing out on more experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

yeah it's way to young to be tied down. Go out and see the world have a career a social life and travel a bit you have loads of time to be in a long term relationship. these are years that you wont get back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

I think life is what you make of it. I was single for all my "youth" but I think I would have had just as much fun if I was going out with someone who's company I enjoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I think at 16/17 you have so much personal development to do and independence to gain that being in a long term relationship is a bad idea.
    Just my two cents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

just a curiosity . . . im 16/17 been in a relationship with my bf for bout a year and sometimes i kinda wonder should i not be out like most other people my age havin fun. and i dont mean getting off with every other guy just not so much "tied down" (if that's what you'd call it) / stuck to one person.

what do you think?

thanks
    You sound like my Girlfriend two weeks ago! She was feleing the same. We broke up and ended up getting abck to gether because we both didn't like being apart!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,905 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

'OP, you make it sound like being with your current partner is a chore!

Im 19, been with my girlfriend for 18 months and couldnt be happier. We've made many, many plans for the future.'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Yes. You cant get out on your own if you're taking someone with you.
    If you actually in a proper relationship then your partner should feature a lot of your decsion making process. You cannot fully develope your independance when you have a duty of care to another human being and are being doted on by them.

Relationships can interfer with traveling and choice of university.

You might be happy enough in life, content, and just fall into a routine. At 16/17 you could be a quite passive individual. A monotonous bore. Be like this for 6/7 years. Most likely you'll end up breaking up (because statistically, you're first partner wont be the one that end up with) and you'll look around and say
    A)God, look at all the things Ive missed. What other ppl did and I didnt
    B)Oh no, Ive lost contact with my friends
    C)Better go onto PI on boards.ie and ask if theres any hope for me, my heart feels like it has a dagger in it, I lost my one true love etc etc

Youth is for gaining independace, experimenting / developing. Dont let it pass you by.

If you are madly in love great. Stick with that person untill the feelings change.
    Relationships usually go in stages, lust, infatuation, love. Chances are that at 15/16 you will not be in love.

But just from browsing the bebo of younger relatives I see the utter stupidity of puppy love. People making fools of themselves who have no idea what it is they are talking about. Then again I know that others do.

Im not going to advise anyone that they beak up for the sake of it. But be aware that there is so much more to life than being simply content. You're too young to fall into a routine. Explore the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

the fact that you're having these thoughts makes me think you're not entirely happy with your boyfriend. If you're feeling trapped, maybe it's best to take a break from him for a while.

• Advertisement
Advertisement