Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old foot organ

• 13-12-2006 10:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭

I have an old foot organ if i post a pic would anyone here know anything about it :confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

You never know who might see it, so throw up a pic if possible, they say a picture paints a thousand words, so its worth a try ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

What you fine people think off this stuff Organ 2.jpg

Piano.jpg

Side board.jpg

The side board has a stone top & piano has inlay on the front and candle stick holders also the organ look,s like it is 1000000000 years old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I have seen a side board like that before somewhere. I think it was in Holland.

Have you any idea of the history of it?

boneless wrote:
    I have seen a side board like that before somewhere. I think it was in Holland.

Have you any idea of the history of it?

No sorry i do not it was left to me in a will and no nothing about old stuff wish i did LOL

Any help would be super ;);)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

I'm out anyway, I have no idea at all....:o

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'd agree with boneless, they look European. I'd say it's Victorian stuff by the look of them. No earlier than 1850 IMHO.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Hi
    Where would i go to get a rough value on this stuff would any off you nice people know by the way thank you all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭RaiseTheBlinds

hi,...
    1. the mahogany cased organ is very interesting, and have not seen one like that come up at auction before. I dont think its of any great value, because it is quite impracticle as organs go. I mean how many houses or families do you know that could adopt a piece like that into thier homes ? sorry to be pessimistic btw, but furniture is on a dip at the moment because of the lack of spacious houses been built etc. , the bigger the piece the cheaper it is (usually)
    anyway it is early 20th century by style,... just leaving the Victorian style/period and heading into Edwardian design. nice object , could be a gamble at auction. or talk to pigotts down there on ...cant remember the street, near BREAK 4 the BOARDER

2. the upright piano is not terribly valuable either, the problem is the cost of moving pianos is so expensive, and the quality produced from modern pianos is so much greater today. I have seen pianos go in old auction house clearances for as little as 50 irpounds.
    best advice is to try sell it privately,... buy and sell.
    take note of the makers name and "google" it to see if the maker is noteworthy, then it may have reasonable value. but you rarely have a good works in an average case.
    the case btw is probably walnut veneered, centred with some attractive boxwood marquetry inlay, copying the old Dutch design .
    possibly mid 20th Cebtury.

3. the sideboard is actually called a "washstand" , and as somebody suggested - is most definately Victorian(1837 - 1901). late Victorian and moving into a Period called Art Nouveau (1880 - 1914)
    the curved moulded design is the Victorian part, and the bright Inlayed panel under the mirror is the ARt Nouveau style.
    so lets say then the date is somewhere between 1880 and 1901.
    the top if original is usually a grey or sometimes white polished marble from the continent.
    the marble held a large jug and basin set which the owner used to wash each morning as they arose from bed !! oh how times have changed.
    a beautiful example in its hay day, the condition may be a stumbling block for potential purchasers, it appears the lower cupboard doors are missing, along with 2 mirror panels , which can be replaced cheaply but it should really be fitted with bevelled glass (glass plate wit a slope-cut edge) which would cost a bit
    btw it is most definately mahogany, and the inlay decoration will be a variety of expensive and "choice" woods , probably satinwood, olivewood, or maple.

hope i havent been too harsh with my descriptions, and glad to be of help in the identification

anybody that needs help is most welcome, I have good experience and interest, and would be delighted to give my opinions on anything from paintings to porcelain and furniture.

Cheers,
    The Blind Raiser.

hi,...
    1. the mahogany cased organ is very interesting, and have not seen one like that come up at auction before. I dont think its of any great value, because it is quite impracticle as organs go. I mean how many houses or families do you know that could adopt a piece like that into thier homes ? sorry to be pessimistic btw, but furniture is on a dip at the moment because of the lack of spacious houses been built etc. , the bigger the piece the cheaper it is (usually)
    anyway it is early 20th century by style,... just leaving the Victorian style/period and heading into Edwardian design. nice object , could be a gamble at auction. or talk to pigotts down there on ...cant remember the street, near BREAK 4 the BOARDER

2. the upright piano is not terribly valuable either, the problem is the cost of moving pianos is so expensive, and the quality produced from modern pianos is so much greater today. I have seen pianos go in old auction house clearances for as little as 50 irpounds.
    best advice is to try sell it privately,... buy and sell.
    take note of the makers name and "google" it to see if the maker is noteworthy, then it may have reasonable value. but you rarely have a good works in an average case.
    the case btw is probably walnut veneered, centred with some attractive boxwood marquetry inlay, copying the old Dutch design .
    possibly mid 20th Cebtury.

3. the sideboard is actually called a "washstand" , and as somebody suggested - is most definately Victorian(1837 - 1901). late Victorian and moving into a Period called Art Nouveau (1880 - 1914)
    the curved moulded design is the Victorian part, and the bright Inlayed panel under the mirror is the ARt Nouveau style.
    so lets say then the date is somewhere between 1880 and 1901.
    the top if original is usually a grey or sometimes white polished marble from the continent.
    the marble held a large jug and basin set which the owner used to wash each morning as they arose from bed !! oh how times have changed.
    a beautiful example in its hay day, the condition may be a stumbling block for potential purchasers, it appears the lower cupboard doors are missing, along with 2 mirror panels , which can be replaced cheaply but it should really be fitted with bevelled glass (glass plate wit a slope-cut edge) which would cost a bit
    btw it is most definately mahogany, and the inlay decoration will be a variety of expensive and "choice" woods , probably satinwood, olivewood, or maple.

hope i havent been too harsh with my descriptions, and glad to be of help in the identification

anybody that needs help is most welcome, I have good experience and interest, and would be delighted to give my opinions on anything from paintings to porcelain and furniture.

Cheers,
    The Blind Raiser.

Thank you
    I might just sell the lot and see what i get thank you again good sir.
    Any idea on a price for the sideboard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Saw something similar go for auction in cork for E460, so if it was jazzed up a bit it might fetch more (bearing in mind the auction i was at was a house and farm clearance sale!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 xbox-face

what the hell is wrong with u friend? kill these horrible creatures, they are of zero value to anyone except a graveyard man

xbox-face wrote:
    what the hell is wrong with u friend? kill these horrible creatures, they are of zero value to anyone except a graveyard man

Hay xbox-pus dont call me friend it,s being in the family years

Let the lot go cheap now

Advertisement