Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree Lights Poll

Options
  • 13-12-2006 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭

It's that time of year again.
    It's always the same.
    I want the tree lights to weave back and forth from bottom to top so that when Valentines Day comes round I can get them back off before chucking the tree to the curb.

Hubby on the otherhand always wants to go round and round the tree with the lights from bottom to top. Which is an absolute pain when taking them back off.

Some folks weave their lights in a top to bottom pattern all around the tree.

And some just jam them on wherever just so they are on it.

So what is your method of operation when stringing Christmas Tree Lights?

Edit: W00t! This is my first poll posted ever! :)

How do you string Tree lights? 50 votes

Weave back and forth from bottom to top
    0%
    go round in circles from bottom to top
    18%
    D-GenerateWackerNevyniguanacountyfred funk }{SpitfireIVMushyLust4Life 9 votes
    Weave them up and down, up and down
    58%
    KolodnyMakavelineGevRabies[Deleted User]AlunFaithSmellyirishmanUndercoverguyRbrobinphPeteeeNightwishpbsuxok1znja4rflanzerphantom_lordFeral Mutantchickenpoojudas101Heyes 29 votes
    just cram them on with no care
    10%
    byteDoctorEdgeWildsiodaLéanadmiralofthefleet 5 votes
    Atari Jaguar lights are magical
    14%
    Tom DunneMackersnickerpussnetwhizkidCiaran500Sad ProfessorJPA 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

As long as they're not gaudy multicoloured lights I'm happy. traditional white lights ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Lust4Life wrote:

I want the tree lights to weave back and forth from bottom to top so that when Valentines Day comes round I can get them back off before chucking the tree to the curb.

You keep your Christmas tree up until February?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Round from the bottom to the top or vice versa.

Haven't put up the tree yet actually, must get around to it someday soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

Posted by petes:
    You keep your Christmas tree up until February?

It's an inside joke in my house. That's the real meaning of Valentines Day, isn't it? Taking down the tree?

Heck, for the price of a real tree lately, it ought to be up 3 months!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Round from the bottom to the top, they are in a loop...gets a bit awkward near the end of the loop! Traditional whites, no blinkie ones :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Our tree is in a room corner, so I sort of loosely lay the lights out over the tree, weaving them from the bottom to top, then stand back (with the lights on) and try and space them as evenly as possible so as not to have areas with lights......take time :D. And again, traditional white, no color bulbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

miamee wrote:
    Round from the bottom to the top, they are in a loop...gets a bit awkward near the end of the loop! Traditional whites, no blinkie ones :D

Yep, same as me own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

humbert wrote:
    As long as they're not gaudy multicoloured lights I'm happy. traditional white lights ftw.
    Isn't it the other way around? The 'gaudy' red 'n' green etc lights are more traditional while the white ones are more modern??

Gaudy multi-coloured lights FTW

Oh, and in circles from top to bottom. But, eh, OP, will the results of this poll actually have any influence on how you decide to put up your lights?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

My pine tree is small, alive, and in a pot. So I am not putting lights on it, cause it might hurt the branches. Have put lights around the skirt and a handful of very light ornaments and tinsil. Will plant the tree after Xmas. Hopefully it will grow to be big and strong someday, rather than be a dumpster addition.

Awwww! Blue, I am glad you have a tree!

One year I strung lights on my Philodendron. It did end up dying.

As to will this poll have any influence on how I string the lights from here forward? Well it certainly is interesting that the round and round option is winning. But how many of you who do that are actually the ones who must also remove the lights when the tree is dry and crusty?

(Oh how I long for a fake tree! String them however, just leave them on and throw it in storage! But that's a whole other poll that would get plenty of traffic with the title Real or Fake. >_> Dang!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

this is our christmas tree in college:

the signal generator puts a square wave into the LEDs and makes them flash. yes we are nerds

priceless!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

gottA be circles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

the signal generator puts a square wave into the LEDs and makes them flash. yes we are nerds
    Best christmas tree EVAR :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Isn't it the other way around? The 'gaudy' red 'n' green etc lights are more traditional while the white ones are more modern??

Indeed. But tasteful white lights are so much more magical for small children, right?

This year I have a brand new light tradition. My 7ft tree goes in the bay window, with "classy" white lights in the window side to look all victorian, and magical coloured lights on the inside for me to enjoy while I drink my hot ports/cocoa.

With the lights weaved back and forth from top to bottom.

E2A; but the coloured lights have to be the ones with the pink bulbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

I string them around in circles but keep them fairly close to the edges of the branches so they're easy enough to take off again come January. Or April. Or whenever I decide the stench of rotting tree is putting me off my dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Ah yes the Christmas tree lights. A b1tch to get out of the tangled mess they're in from just ramming them back in a box/bag last year. Then the struggle to decide how to put them on the tree - a combination of circles and weaving in my case. And finally ramming them back in a box/bag and not caring as I'll worry about them next year...............

White non-blinky lights FTW!

Oh, I found some totally cool wheels last year on sale after Christmas to roll the lights onto. They are the BEST thing I've ever bought for my Christmas box! It was so easy this year just unwinding the reel of lights onto the tree... back and forth. Heh!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

humbert wrote:
    Traditional my arse(as scouser.tommy points out). White is the pure nouveau stylee of glass topped dining table and tasteful "oak" floorboard land "and we have italian stone floors in the baaathroom you know". It's a toilet. Live with it. That kinda guff only flies in homes where B&Q are the arbiters of taste(Habitat hasn't opened yet). I don't think so. Dammit I've got some lights that are positively ancient(50's) handed down in hushed tones from my forefathers, but rewired (for the firemen out there) and they're of the multicoloured variety. If you want "trad" slap candles on the bugger. Gaelgoir candles naturally, made from the melted ear wax of ruddy arsed caileeens.

As for wrapping. It's a delicate matter indeed. A combination of wrapping and trailing from the top with more than one set of lights to achieve the effect.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Lust4Life wrote:
    Awwww! Blue, I am glad you have a tree!

One year I strung lights on my Philodendron. It did end up dying.

As to will this poll have any influence on how I string the lights from here forward? Well it certainly is interesting that the round and round option is winning. But how many of you who do that are actually the ones who must also remove the lights when the tree is dry and crusty?

(Oh how I long for a fake tree! String them however, just leave them on and throw it in storage! But that's a whole other poll that would get plenty of traffic with the title Real or Fake. >_> Dang!)

Me! I have to do it all...but I have a fake tree :) Getting the lights back off the tree is no problem...getting them to fit back into the bloody box they came in is another story however :mad:

• Advertisement

this is our christmas tree in college:

That's the saddest little Christmas tree I've ever seen :(:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

qft

as far as i'm concerned, christmas is the height of tackiness and thats how it'll stay in my house.

Advertisement