Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TomTom One VS Garmin Streetpilot C510

Options
  • 13-12-2006 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

In a bit of a fix at the mo and would appreciate any comments. The wife is buying me a GPS for Xmas. Ive never owned one before and am only looking for an entry level one. I was gearing towards a TomTom One until I rang Halfords, where a very helpful guy was saying to get a TomTom if I really want it, but I would be better of with a Garmin, due to the Navteq mapping!

Has anybody any experience of both. To be honest the street pilot doesnt look as streamlined as the TT, it looks quite chunky?

Any comments, as shes gonna have to buy it in the next few days!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Colly

wiseolsham wrote:
    In a bit of a fix at the mo and would appreciate any comments. The wife is buying me a GPS for Xmas. Ive never owned one before and am only looking for an entry level one. I was gearing towards a TomTom One until I rang Halfords, where a very helpful guy was saying to get a TomTom if I really want it, but I would be better of with a Garmin, due to the Navteq mapping!

Has anybody any experience of both. To be honest the street pilot doesnt look as streamlined as the TT, it looks quite chunky?

Any comments, as shes gonna have to buy it in the next few days!
    What is the budget?

I would agree with the sales assistant not much point having a device that is no good as the maps are inadequate. I would stick with a navte map based system there are a few, There are other garmin devices which have the new maps which is why i asked your budget if you let me know i can suggest a device. Garmin are more streamlined than tomtoms these days you maybe looking at the wrong device.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭wiseolsham

Colly wrote:
    What is the budget?

I would agree with the sales assistant not much point having a device that is no good as the maps are inadequate. I would stick with a navte map based system there are a few, There are other garmin devices which have the new maps which is why i asked your budget if you let me know i can suggest a device. Garmin are more streamlined than tomtoms these days you maybe looking at the wrong device.

€300 is her budget for this. The sales guy said the C510 comes with V9 mapping. So its either the C510 or the TomTom One. Both are around 300, think the TT is 290.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Colly

wiseolsham wrote:
    €300 is her budget for this. The sales guy said the C510 comes with V9 mapping. So its either the C510 or the TomTom One. Both are around 300, think the TT is 290.

The nuvi 310 deluxe with full Europe coverage is a very good unit for 377Euro on pixmania. Garmin are high quality devices and probably the lest buggy with frequent updates of firmware. The map updates are slow due to testing but are released every two yrs in my mind is fine as we now have full coverage of ireland with there newest map release v9 which it now ships with and if not can be ordered free as an update as you bought your device after the map update was released.

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/316482/art/garmin/nuvi-310-autonomous-gps-d.html

Alternately you could get her to buy you the AIRIS Autonomous GPS T920EF Europe as it is 236Euro so it is well within your budget, thin and small and has the navteq maps for ireland with full coverage. Have heard it is a lil buggy but a good price for a device with full coverage of ireland.

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/322094/art/airis/autonomous-gps-t920ef-eur.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭wiseolsham

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Pataman

I use the garmin and couldnt fault it. Most back roads are on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,910 ✭✭✭kirving

Does the Garmin C510 Deluxe come wit all european maps loaded on an sd card, or on a dvd so that you can load one country on to the SD card at a time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Pataman

Didnt get the deluxe version.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭byrnefm

Out of curiosity, does the TomTom ONE cover Ireland with the same level of detail that Garmin (which uses NavTeq) does? I asked in Peats on Saturday and the sales guy I spoke to said it does but I haven't seen any announcements that TomTom has improved their coverage beyond the cities and the main roads for Ireland. And yet they're the only system that Peats sells (that I could see) and is even shown in today's Irish Independent's business section supplement...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 focusman

Garmin now have the most up to date and complete maps of Ireland to my knowledge, TomTom has only limited detail in it's coverage for Ireland.

The Garmin Nuvi 310 is available for €389 from Harvey Norman, comes with v8 maps but the free v9 update has just been released which you can order direct from Garmin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Tom Tom use Navteq mapping.
    Route Planning and Calculation
    Once entered, routes are calculated very quickly. TomTom uses the latest edition of Navteq’s UK maps, which seem to have finally fixed a number of long standing inaccuracies; they provide as up-to-date coverage as can realistically be expected.

A welcome addition, and one that has been missing for too long, is the new routing algorithm letting the ONE offer calculations for fastest, shortest, avoid motorway, walking bicycle and limited speed, making this a very versatile GPS indeed.

Also since Dec 4th they have improved their mapping for ireland:

http://www.tomtom.com/news/category.php?ID=4&NID=320&Language=1&TT=7a1281a3%3Ababa37bd%3A00000000%3A00000000%3A00000000%3A00000000%3Ailqffchi0bvs0t1e0q84uqm4l4

Saying that Route66 navigator is supposed to be good for Ireland.

John

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 eannakennedy

Went to Halfords where guy explained that TomTom One (UK and Ireland) does not use Navteq, however, TomTom One (Europe) does. Didn't know whether to buy the Garmin Nuvi 300 or TomTom One Europe. The Nuvi has an MP3 player if you need that but he said the TomTom was much easier to use. Since they both use Navteq I went for the TomTom. Also Dec28th price reduced on TomTom from 399 to 319 euro. Also Route66 half price from five hundred and something to 250 or so. Halford staff were great. I went to Dixons and PCWorld and they didn't have a clue so my advice is to go to Halfords if you are looking for one of these.....

Advertisement