Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Instructor/Client...

Options
  • 12-12-2006 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Jus lookin for a general opinion. I'm a fitness instructor and I teach a class once a week for an hour and have the hots big time for a guy I instruct..what to do? Im not usually shy but in this situation the dynamics are different because I'm the instructor and although hes older than me hes under my instruction(along with a good few others) so I jus dont know how to get to know him! Hes quite friendly to me but beyond the usual hello/goodbye thats as far as we've gotten! Any suggestions?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,220 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Offer him a special on individual instruction?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

Depending on how shy you are:

Ask him has he any plans for Christmas, it's an easy enough way to start a conversation. When he answers, offer some info of your own, and ask another. Convo started - it's up to you to move it to going for drinks.

If you don't want to single him out talk to a few after a class. As an instructor you'll naturally have their attention (and they'll be more forgiving if you stumble!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Don't mix business with pleasure, in this case where you're offering a service it would be bad form to approach one of your customers, very bad form. You could do untold damage to your reputation were it not to work out.

Consider it carefully it's your livelihood and I think you maybe losing focus on that a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

i don't think there's any problem with you going out with this person, but as the above poster points out, there's a lot at stake.

i don't think there is anything you can do to move the situation along, unless you are willing to risk your job, no employer would approve of it. all you can do really, is cross your fingers and hope that he goes for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Ye I would have to agree with the above 2 poster aswell, in that this could untold damage to your reputation if it got out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

I would agree with the above. The instructor /Client Dynamic is very tricky. Just adapt it slightly to Teacher/Pupil and you may get a little idea of what MAY happen (not will, may)
    However, how long will they be your client?
    Possibly if it is not for much longer, then wait until the classes are finished

Advertisement