Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remainder of the year to be mainly mild

Options
  • 12-12-2006 8:47pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭

White Christmas very unlikely........

Hi, those of us who would have liked to see a white christmas this year are set to be disappointed as the mild weather continues for the forseeble future. Indeed we have not had one credible cold snap since Autumn began. This has been largely due to the presence of a so-called 'Bartlett' High over Europe. This ensures that LP after LP just consistently drifts over us from the southwest. It can also lead to very stormy and exceptionally wet periods at times. So is this setup likely to change before Jan 1st? - well yes and no so to speak. This weekend will provide a rare breather from the Atlantic onslaught but this will only be temporary. High pressure will come north but wont make the crucial link with GL where the Polar Vortex continues to be the stuff of nightmares for those you dont want to see an exceptionally mild winter. The prognosis could not be worse because inevitably the hp will just sink south into the continent again and we are right back to square one with a reinvigorated PV over GL. This revamp of the setup can and will, im sure, take another week at least to change. These setups can last literally for months and were very much the backbone for the late 90's winters which saw very little snowfall and frost. It would seem the bad old days have returned and there is absolutely no sign that this will not be one of the mildest Decembers on record. Winter is not over of course by any means and im hopeful but not optimistic for the new year. I would say chances are the current setup will remain in place for a few weeks yet.

As for Christmas day, ive absolutely no doubt that whether or not its a wash out - it will be mild.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I knew this would happen, its been mild now since 1993 with very little measureable snow in my area since my childhood yet over the last few years the rag papers continue to issue alerts in October/November warning us of 'today after tomorrow' style winters which never materialise. Global warming has truly taken a firm grip of this land:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

This winter is bloody depressing so far, horrid weather!! Constant wind, rain...wind.........rain.............more wind, and more rain and its not even cold!! I wouldnt mind if there was no snow, as long as it was cold and frosty at least for Christmas, but no, we get served this mild wet muck. Will it ever change!

Depressing......:mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

im totally sick of the rain and wind... I know its very mild every day but it feels so damn cold coz its windy and wet all the time yet the temperatures remain in double figures almost daily... its terrible.. Ive often experienced dry sunny days with temperatures around 4C that feel better and milder than the weather we've been having.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Winter is just 12 days old.I wouldnt write it off just yet.
    The last real cold i felt in this part of the month is way back in Dec 1981.
    That is the only cold December as far as i can recall in my lifetime.Most of them are generally mild but yet we have some very cold winters(Jan and febuary) with sneachta falling in most places even though we had a mild December.We are still transitioning from Autumn to Winter and in a country with no extremes it does take time to cool off.

If you think its mild here check out the snowless alps or central Europe.There milder than here.
    Ok its turbulent at present but that is showing signs of slowing down with a general jet movement southwards over the next few weeks.In time pressure will build in the north atlantic and our Greenland high will establish itself not if but when.
    Im defo not saying were going to have a bitter winter but this January might be the coldest January in years after all the mild but dry Jan of recent years and i believe in sunspot minimum being the key as i go with trends.

Enjoy the rest of this stormy spell,i think the new year might hearld a surprise or two.
    Well someone had to cheer yous up.:D

According to 'MetCheck' its to get a little cooler (and more impotant.....dryer) next week:

So for those who have just about had enough of wet and windy conditions the end is nigh, colder and drier weather is on the way!...In a word 'seasonal'.

I'll settle for that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭sunset

I am afraid your expectations are all wrong, Gonzo. Sonw and ice are simply not normal winyter weather for Ireland. They never have been. There have been exceptional years, it ois true, but it is completely unreasonable to expect snow and ice every year or event most years. What is normal winter weather in Ireland has two characteroistsice - wind and rain!! Christmas snowy scenes of Dickens belong to an exceptional decade of cold (English)winters in the early 19th century.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

sunset wrote:
    I am afraid your expectations are all wrong, Gonzo. Sonw and ice are simply not normal winyter weather for Ireland. They never have been. There have been exceptional years, it ois true, but it is completely unreasonable to expect snow and ice every year or event most years. What is normal winter weather in Ireland has two characteroistsice - wind and rain!! Christmas snowy scenes of Dickens belong to an exceptional decade of cold (English)winters in the early 19th century.

Ah now Sunset, don't go bursting the bubble. It isn't about reason, its about want. If Gonzo et al want to have their seasonal rants and misgivings, I'm quite happy for them. As for me, I'm quite happy for whatever the Atlantic, Arctic or the Continent throws at us.

just as long as its not wind and rain ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Flipping cold this morning! and it looks set for cold and clear for the next 5
    days or so.

Mike.

Sure was... @05:20 this morning

Outside temp 0.5C
    Inside temp (unfinished (& unheated) house 7.5C)
    Inside temp (mobile home 3.1C) bl**dy cold :(
    cant wait for the house to be finished...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

my back says theirs a change coming, not much tho

• Advertisement

Gone quite in here........:p

Whats the latest story guys? I do keep an eye on the TWO forum and some over there are saying that it could be nice and cool, frosty and dry over the Christmas period, but equally it could be mild and wet, its 50/50 at the moment so could go either way. I've no idea how to read charts, or the weather lingo so what do ye experts think? Still a bit too far off to say what weather will be like next week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its going to be dry and coolish by the looks of it for most of us, the hign pressure looks like dipping south towards the weekend so the winds will pick up from west and may drag some rain to the north/west.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

MIldish by day and cool and frosty by night by the looks of things.Looks like atm that the HP will just stay to the SE of here with maritime air over us keeping the temp avg or just above for next week during daylight hours.If clear enough temps will fall for frost and fog at night.This HP afterall is forecasted to stick around in the wrong place for cold seekers.

Advertisement