Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1080p tvs

Options
  • 12-12-2006 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53,907 ✭✭✭✭

im thinking of upgrading,not any time soon but i want it for my ps3 when it comes out

what tvs are 1080p now

i know the sharp Aquos is 1080p but any other 1080p tvs

im looking for a 37" tv

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

sony w-series and x-series both available in 40". pioneer pdp5000ex is a fifty!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭tonedef

looking for a 1080p TV myself, have narrowed it down to these three:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/kcp.asp?sku=327043&sku=325335&sku=325560

still can't decide which one meets my needs best though.

general run seems to be that you won't get the full benefit of 1080p on a screen less than 40" but I'm no expert

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Also be wary that most of those sony displays will not accept 1080p via component etc, only hdmi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭savemejebus

it's great except it's not 1080p, i was looking at it previously on the technikdirekt site specs are here http://www.toshiba.de/consumer/content/defaultid1_1_id2_0_id3_8_id4_5.aspx

• Advertisement

actually there is a mysterious G at the end of that model, so it's not the 'exact' same one. Probably still not 1080p though :(

actually there is a mysterious G at the end of that model, so it's not the 'exact' same one. Probably still not 1080p though :(

Does it not say Full HD?? so you mean its uncorrect advertising?

from Toshiba website
    37WL67Z

94 cm / 37" Bildschirmdiagonale sichtbar / 16:9
    Auflösung: 1920x1080xRGB (FULL HD)
    PIXEL PROcessing III+
    SRS WOW Surround Sound
    2x HDMI / HDCP (480p/480i/576p/576i/720p/1.080i)

1080i only, the g means that there is a dvb tuner in it.

It can display the screen itself has 1080 lines but the inputs cannot accept 1080p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Conar

What a skank.
    They shouldn't be allowed say Full HD if it can't do 1080p.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,907 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

savemejebus

you know that sharp tv you were showing me

that will work perfect on the xbox 360 right

At 720p and 1080i yes it should, but not 1080p for the moment.

You see the sharp only does 1080p over hdmi. VGA/component are limited to 1080i. When the Xbox 360 hdmi cable comes out (supposedly when lost planet launches) it will allow the xbox 360 to show 1080p on the sharp.

At 720p and 1080i yes it should, but not 1080p for the moment.

You see the sharp only does 1080p over hdmi. VGA/component are limited to 1080i. When the Xbox 360 hdmi cable comes out (supposedly when lost planet launches) it will allow the xbox 360 to show 1080p on the sharp.
    nice one

also that website you were showing me, the website where you were thinking of buying it,

will you be stung by Customs and vat

doubt it as they are within the EU. However like i said to you before, I'm gonna wait till after xmas to see if the price drops a little or if komplett get it in

doubt it as they are within the EU. However like i said to you before, I'm gonna wait till after xmas to see if the price drops a little or if komplett get it in
    if komplett get it in, it would be brilliant

my next tv will be that sharp tv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

FYI is it very unlikely there will ever be a HDMI cable for the Xbox 360 it's AV output path is entirely analogue however never say never but unless MS pulls a rabbit from out of it's hat I cannot see how it will happen without a new rev of the Xbox 360.

{That's not even taking into account the crypto chip required for HDCP compliancey over HDMI to which the X360 also lacks}

You can do 1080p over component (<-TV must support this) and VGA of course.

Also the PS3 again like the Xbox 360 the vast majority of it's games will be rendered at 720p but the PS3 currently lacks a scaler like the X360 so you will be stuck at 720p for pretty much most games unless Sony pull their own rabbit out of a hat.

8T8 wrote:
    FYI is it very unlikely there will ever be a HDMI cable for the Xbox 360 it's AV output path is entirely analogue however never say never but unless MS pulls a rabbit from out of it's hat I cannot see how it will happen without a new rev of the Xbox 360.

{That's not even taking into account the crypto chip required for HDCP compliancey over HDMI to which the X360 also lacks}

You can do 1080p over component (<-TV must support this) and VGA of course.

Also the PS3 again like the Xbox 360 the vast majority of it's games will be rendered at 720p but the PS3 currently lacks a scaler like the X360 so you will be stuck at 720p for pretty much most games unless Sony pull their own rabbit out of a hat.
    so is there any point buying the Sharp LC-37XD1E
    Aquos 37'' HD Ready LCD TV for the ps3 and 360

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

The Xbox 360 and PS3 generally only have the processing power to render graphics heavy games at 720p but the Xbox 360 has the advantage in that it has a built in scaler and can output the image at the highest resolution supported by a display.

The PS3 currently lacks any such scaler and outputs the resolution the games are rendered at which will be 720p in the majority of cases. This may be something Sony can fix with a firmware update it may not it is hard to tell (they are being coy about it at the moment with a lot of angry USA PS3 owners.)

This is how things currently stand.

For the Xbox 360
    HD-DVD - 1080p
    All games - 1080p (even though they are rendered internally at 720p)
    DVD 576p (can be up scaled to 1080p over VGA)

For the PS3;
    Blu-ray - 1080p
    Most games - 720p
    DVD - 576p

As for the HDTV it looks a very nice TV just be aware if your only getting a PS3 & Sony doesn't or cannot fix the scaling issue the 1080p is going to be under utilized. If that doesn't bother you or/are getting both consoles then sure go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭tonedef

I called into the sony centre in galway today and both the w and x series will accept a 1080p signal through VGA as well as HDMI. They won't accept 1080p through component though

Advertisement