Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony 50" 3lcd Rear Projection

Options
  • 12-12-2006 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭

Link

My bother is lookin at getting the sony TV show in the link,
    Any one own one , I have read good few reviews on different sites and they seem ok and the money on them is not bad. Any one know any flaws.Or any advice on this Item.

Thanks
    Joe

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Do a search for Sony 50 and you'll find loads of references to this TV, its even in a thread a few down, in summary lots of folk here have one and no issues that I'm aware of and I have it since April, you should be getting for around 1400 notes

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

slave1 wrote:
    Do a search for Sony 50 and you'll find loads of references to this TV, its even in a thread a few down, in summary lots of folk here have one and no issues that I'm aware of and I have it since April, you should be getting for around 1400 notes

Cheapest I've seen it is in Power City (see thread below).

I'm getting on for my new place as long as it doesnt look to big for the place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Maxwell

The only downfall to these tv (apart from the back size) is that they will need their bulb replaced after a certain amount of viewing hours (I believe its between 3,000-4,000) and from 2,000hours on it will dim in brightness. You have to treat these TV's in a similar way to Projectors (not as extreme as being cautious at powering them down etc, but the replacing of the bulb)
    Remember the tv is rearPROJECTION and works on the process of a bulb...

Note: I do not own one of these, but I have done some reading up on them when researching for a new tv - went for Plasma in the end.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Maxwell wrote:
    The only downfall to these tv (apart from the back size) is that they will need their bulb replaced after a certain amount of viewing hours (I believe its between 3,000-4,000) and from 2,000hours on it will dim in brightness. You have to treat these TV's in a similar way to Projectors (not as extreme as being cautious at powering them down etc, but the replacing of the bulb)
    Remember the tv is rearPROJECTION and works on the process of a bulb...

Note: I do not own one of these, but I have done some reading up on them when researching for a new tv - went for Plasma in the end.

Any links to these issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭savemejebus

From demoing this in the shop I think viewing angles are another issue, colours can appear washed out if your eyeline is not at the correct height for the tv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Bulb life is more like 6-7k hours. I've had mine a yearnow (got it just before last christmas), it's been on a min of 5 hours every day, usually 8 hours or so, and the picture is still 100%. Bulbs are around €250 so even every 2 -3 years if your a heavy user isnt that bad as it's practically a new tv then.

Personally viewing angles are not a roblem for me. Unless your pretty much side on your grand. I sleep on one of these http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=30001&langId=-1&catalogId=10151&productId=619038&clickfrom=name so im 5 feet up at a distance of6 feet ish from the tv and notice no degredation in quality.

As far as the viewing angles go anyway, your spending €1500 on a tv, why would you not be watching it from a decent position?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 368 ✭✭wanabe

few friends have this t.v! seems decent! class through dvd and 360 but analogue signal isnt great at all!! in my opinion you'd want to have sky digital to make the most of this set!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

On the topic of rear projection, I was having a go of the 70" KDS-70R2000 last weekend in Dundrum SC. Impressive TV
    http://sparky-s.ie/gallery/main.php/v/camstuff/DSC00009.JPG.html

I'll be waiting for the projector they also offer to come down in price. (It could be a while)

Sparky-s wrote:
    On the topic of rear projection, I was having a go of the 70" KDS-70R2000 last weekend in Dundrum SC. Impressive TV
    http://sparky-s.ie/gallery/main.php/v/camstuff/DSC00009.JPG.html

I'll be waiting for the projector they also offer to come down in price. (It could be a while)

How much was the 70"?

It'll be the natural progression for me when I build my house.:) the little 50" will be relegated to the no2 tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

From demoing this in the shop I think viewing angles are another issue, colours can appear washed out if your eyeline is not at the correct height for the tv.

I found this set to be the best RP TV I've come across for viewing angles.
    I was in the Sony shop in Swords and was bobbing and weaving around like Ali to see what the picture was like at different angles,surprised I wasn't asked to leave the shop.:D
    The only time the picture degraded slightly was when I was too close to the screen and my line of sight was 2 or 3 feet above the screen. Side to side was great for a RP. As someone said on avforums,when you sit down it's like the TV switches on and the picture's perfect. IMO you can't get better bang for buck.
    I'll certainly have a 50" Sony in my place soon.:)

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote:

How much was the 70"?

About €7k when I asked about it. The man in the shop said it be a speical order

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Maxwell

kearnsr wrote:
    Any links to these issues?

www.avforums.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭savemejebus

i guess viewing angles are quite subjective, but I know i want a tv that i'll be able to see well from the dining room table which is higher than my couch and at this height the sony didn't do it for me.

That said, that's just me and there is no denying that it's a fantastic price for such a huge tv

i guess viewing angles are quite subjective, but I know i want a tv that i'll be able to see well from the dining room table which is higher than my couch and at this height the sony didn't do it for me.

That said, that's just me and there is no denying that it's a fantastic price for such a huge tv

One of the reasons I like it so much is the size of it and how little it costs compared to say lcd or plasma of that size. Space wise at the back its smaller than my 21' tv so thats not an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

i believe I will going with the Bro to purchase it on sat.........Nephew wants to know what it would be like to play BF2142 on it ,

i believe the deal is TV & Stand & DVD recorder for 1550 or so

Joeface wrote:
    i believe I will going with the Bro to purchase it on sat.........Nephew wants to know what it would be like to play BF2142 on it ,

i believe the deal is TV & Stand & DVD recorder for 1550 or so

Yeah it's great for the games. I had a game of DoD:Source there a while back and it was excellent.

Advertisement