Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help on a recent mag design.

Options
  • 12-12-2006 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭

tablese0.jpg

This may be a long shot, I thought a bought a woodworking mag recently (within the last month) and it had a design for a turned lamp table in it. I probably didn't buy it but just had a look which would explain why i can't find it, anyway, the table itself is no problem doing, but it used a jig that would be mounted in the tool rest slot for drilling the holes for the peg legs. I can't figure out how to make the jig or even what angle the hole should be drilled and what lenght the legs should be. I have made lamp tables before but used bandsaw cut legs and dovetails to join them to the body, a much longer process for me.I include a crudly drawn pic of what the table and jig looked like, if anyone has the mag i'd appreciate any details.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Don't know about a custom jig, but Sorby do a thing called a precision boring kit that fits into the tool rest pillar. Use that in combination with an indexing system and you could do what you want to do, plus a whole lot of other stuff too. It's limited to a maximum size of 12mm or 1/2"" though. See http://www.robert-sorby.co.uk/lathe-accessories.htm (there's no picture when you click on Precision Indexing System, but the picture on the left of the title page is it).

Otherwise, if you have a pillar drill that has a base that swivels, you could maybe use that in combination with a small grooved jig to hold the pillar of the table in place.

Advertisement