Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter depression

Options
  • 12-12-2006 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

any advice on how to deal with the depression that winter brings on along with the darkess and horrible weather.

i cannot help but feel utter gloom and apathy about everything at the moment. i can't bring myself to care about christmas as the whole thing seems extremely trivial to me. i have exams for uni coming up but i can't see the point in studying. i will definitely fail some of them. everything seems tedious.

up until late november i was incredibly happy. then bam, i'm suddenly sad and depressed. i think it must be winter blues.

How can i snap out of this?

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

There was a series on the telly a few years back called Northern Exposure, and people used to put lights under the brims of their hats to compensate for the darkness of winter. Not that you should to this. It was kinda humourous, and just maybe you need a little more humour in your life? Start going to comic films, theatre, and standup shows? Hang out with people that see the humour in life?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

Hi there

My wife and I are from South Africa and we both get hit pretty hard by seasonal affective disorder.

I recently purchased a britebox [http://www.britebox.co.uk/] which has helped us both quite a bit.

Note: I am not shilling or in any way affiliated to the aforementioned company :D

All I can say is that it is a serious condition and you should do your best to find some kind of treatment. Whether it be a piece of hardware like this one or, as mentioned by Blue_lagoon, getting involved in activities that cheer you up.

Kind regards
    Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 alimel

I agree with bluelagoon, find something to cheer yourself up. Rent a funny video or tv series you like, make plans with friends or family, get out of the house and go for a walk. I sound like a counsellor but it's only cos I suffer from it too.
    Just keep yourself busy, stay positive and hopefully it'll shake off :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 callmealan

Being social and sports helps alot for me. When ever I feel down I go for a few pints or visit a few of my friends, or go playing a bit of football always stops me over thinking!

A

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

I know it may sound odd but make sure your diet is in decent order and that you are supplementing with a vit D source. Also try and take as many walk during the day as possible, so on your luch break go for a small walk and any other chance you get, cause at least you will be getting some sun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Crowhill

two more weeks, and the days will start to get longer, it's always something to look forward too, I know I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

HI the condition you are talking of is called SAD not kidding. You treat it with a special light you can purchase and i think vit D was already mentioned plus exercise helps beat the blues as does st johns wort if you can get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

'Hi,
    I suffer from same and I got some suggestions from my doc, he said that during the winter time people stop doing the outdoor activity and excercise that they would during the summer because of the short days.
    He said that to overcome SAD that you need to continue outdoor activities and excercise as you do in the summer time.

A personal thing for me, is that I do two minutes on a sun bed every week or so. Not to get a tan! But just to give myself a bit of light! I work inside all day so I find this helpful.'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Get the same way every year but usually things start to look up around crimbo so i say give it till then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Villaricos

aw ya poor thing my mum suffers from SAD too. she finds going out for a walk during the day helps because your getting out into the bright.
    I know exercise could well be the last thing you feel like doing but try it, it will help!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I may be speaking too soon but this years dose of SAD seems to have missed me. I usually fel a bit down and grumpy by now. Maybe as bad as the weather has been its not been total grey gloom as it can be before Christmas.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭MissThing

SAD - Seasonal Affliction Disorder (or winter blues) is a disorder which affects between 2% and 5% of the population in Northern Europe and its brought on by depleting natural light.

Its worth googling it to see what the extent of the symptoms are, but they range from lack of energy, craving high laden carbs, low self esteem, lack of desire to participate around social events and general lethargy and to top it all endless insomnia.

Usually symptoms seep in around late September and it can be treated by light therapy as a harmless alternative to anti-depressants as the light box has no side effects and is non habit forming.

Its advisable to get a light box to use daily for an hour or so which increases the production of Serotonin, which is a chemical in the brain which makes you happy.

These light boxes don't come cheap, in the UK as this disorder is recognised by the government as a disorder which effects productivity, users of light boxes don't have to pay VAT....

I haven't found any place in Ireland which supplies light boxes but they're available on the web from reputable light box manufacturers or Phillips, (I’m not associated with the company at all, though I have purchased a ‘Brightlight’ product made by Philips. Also, beware of bulbs for sale on e-bay as SAD bulbs I’ve checked and they’re energy saving bulbs which shouldn’t be advertised as SAD.

SAD in most people is just lethargy in winter, for the other 2% it can make winter time unbearable – so consider getting yourself a lightbox and good luck.

MT

Advertisement