Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you tell someone you fancy them over a text?

Options
  • 12-12-2006 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm just looking for a general opinion here. I really fancy this particular girl and
    I'm pretty sure she likes me too, but for some reason I can never get her alone
    (there's always friends around) and when I do its never really the right place.
    She'll be heading home this weekend for the holidays. Its likely I'll see her before
    she goes but I unlikely it will be a good time to say anything.

Could I say it over a text message?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,220 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

If you have been texting each other a lot, sure. If not, it might be a little awkward?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

You could, but I would wait and do it in person.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

NotsoSure wrote:

No
    Ask her out and tell her to her face!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭kryan1

Beruthiel wrote:
    No
    Ask her out and tell her to her face!

totally agree with Beruthiel. Ask her out, something like the cinema, so original i no, but atleast u will have her to ur self.... only prob then is if she brings another friend. then that mite tell u that she only wants to be friends with you.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I once got

"Thanks for walking me home. You're cool and I like you"

in a text message from a girl later to become my g/f.

I would do it in person though, girls seem to expect lads to do it like that from what I can see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭BillyBoy

Funny you should ask this question as i did this a couple of weeks ago with a girl in work. Were together now but if i could change the way i told her i liked her i would. Its always easier to say something awkward like this in a text or e-mail where you dont have to see their expression/reaction first-hand.

She replied to my text telling me she really liked me too, but even still we had a couple of awkward days after that. We decided to sit down face to face and chat about which was much better and we decided we\'d give it a go together (and i\'m loving it!)

Even though it worked out for me in the end I would still recommend doing it face to face. If you really feel that you like her and that she likes you then manufacture a situation where your both alone and tell her. At worst you may lose a friend (which is crap) but their is so much to gain!

Best of luck mate

• Registered Users Posts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I once sent ther "I really like you, I know Im kinda drunk but I've been waitin to build up the courage to say it to ya" bla bla bla text. A month later we got together, and had a great 4 years from 18-22. All good things end, thats life. But yeah ya can, but in the right way at the right time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

NotsoSure wrote:

You can if you're 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Maccattack wrote:
    You can if you're 7.
    ah come on now, feckin cornflakes

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

'Thanks for all the replies...So the impression I'm getting is obviously its far
    better to say it to her face if I could just somehow find the right place/time
    but seems like a lot of you have had success with a text.
    I think I'll use it as a last resort, if the appropriate moment arises and I can't
    find the courage to say anything.'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Say it to her face, but drop in something about her being hot (state it as if its just a matter of fact rather than your opinion) in your text conversations. Then you'll be able to tell yourself "well she already knows I think she's hot" when you come to talk to her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

NotsoSure wrote:

Mybe i am just and old-fashioned fuddy duddy but i always think talking face to face is the way to go. One can pick up a lot from a single sentence while looking at the person you are talking to rather than 256 characters.

You absolutely cannot put inflection or emotion into text, also, the reciever can very well misconstrue what is being texted.

Text messaging is the absolute bane of life these days. I keep getting mental images of couples lying in bed together texting each other on how good they were together!

So OP: simply alk to her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

I agree with Talliesin drop in the hotness;) than move in for the kill in person:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Agreed with the others, say it to her face. I bet she would have more respect for you because you did just that instead of a text message. Text messages are not a good way to start off a potential relationship, good luck. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭~nop~

Of course it would be nicer to do it face to face, but if you cant get her on her own you could always text her asking if she ever wants to do something some time, just you and her. Or just come out straight and say i like you, but tis a bit blunt alright, she might even think someones just messing her around and you dont want that.

Tell her before she goes away though ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Open your text to her with "Hey gorgeous, how's tings wit u?"....or some other yoof speak, but remember to use the word gorgeous, that way you're telling her without having to tell her. So when you see her in school the next time you won't feel the pressure to run up to her and blurt it out ;)

'
    ~nop~ wrote:
    Tell her before she goes away though ok?

Well the good news is I probably will end up seeing her before she goes, and its even more likely that I'll be driving her home for Christmas (romantic, isn't it?).
    But you're right Nop, I'm afraid of sounding blunt.

Oh and MojoMaker thanks for the tip, but I'm a good few years out of school
    although it may not seem like it considering the immaturity of my question. I've never had a problem telling a girl how I've felt before, but then again, I've never
    felt so strongly about anyone like this before.

Right so as long as everything goes to plan, I'll have some alone time with her
    soon and I'll do my best. Texting is a last resort!

Thanks for all the replies guys, I really appreciate it.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Having done the whole text message thing to say I love you to someone and told someone I like them via text I'd really vote you tell her to your face. It's one of my biggest regrets that I didn't have the balls to just say it in person.

Though if you are having such problems getting her alone (and I've faced that one myself) maybe give her a ring? I know it's not perfect but it also means that you have a little bit of distance if you're a bit nervous about it telling her. An ex of mine asked me out that way - just rang and said straight out he liked me and it was rather sweet.

'Only tell her through txt msg as a last resort. The girl will like it much better if you tell it to her face. If you're feeling courageous (and why not, sure), just go up to her and ask her if you could have a word with her on her own and then tell her you like her.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Kalina

Well, if you've been texting her a lot and you're a bit flirty then why not. You could lay a little groundwork via text if you like, then if you are getting signals back that she is possibly interested then tell her straight out.
    Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

NotsoSure wrote:
    I'm just looking for a general opinion here. I really fancy this particular girl and
    I'm pretty sure she likes me too, but for some reason I can never get her alone
    (there's always friends around) and when I do its never really the right place.
    She'll be heading home this weekend for the holidays. Its likely I'll see her before
    she goes but I unlikely it will be a good time to say anything.

It's certainly possible, but I wouldn't recommend it.

If she likes you it shouldn't be too hard to take a minute with her alone; would it be impossible to just find her alone? What's your situation, in college or what?
    kryan1 wrote:
    totally agree with Beruthiel. Ask her out, something like the cinema, so original i no, but atleast u will have her to ur self
    Cinema = not a good idea.

'Yeah its a college situation, but we're in two different courses so I usually
    end up meeting her around the cantine by chance or when I call over to her
    house (which isn't very often really). We've met up for lunch occasionally too.
    I'll probably be driving her back to Cork tomorrow, but thats hardly the place
    to say anything, ya know when she's trapped in a car!!!'

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ballerina

aw hope it goes well for ya-let us know how u get on!!

Advertisement