Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dundalk FC excluded from new league

Options
  • 11-12-2006 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

Looks like the news is breaking that Dundalk have NOT been included in the new look Premier league, more to follow.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Dundalk Daily

Cant believe this news, Galway who finished below Dundalk are promoted. Surely they will have to look at legal action. Here is the latest report.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I think legal action is out of the question. Dundalk agreed to the system of deciding the make-up of the new league and knew that results on the pitch were only a small part of what would decide who gets in and who doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

Another farcical day for the FAI, how on earth they decided to not base the make up of the league on your league position is beyond me. This would not happen in any other European country. Shamrock rovers dont even have their own stadium and nearly went bust last season get in, Shelbourne basically bankrupt winning the league with huge money problems buts thats not a problem for the FAI . UCD no fans. The play off games with Waterford should not have been played. I wasted €10 going to that meaningless game. No wonder the game in this country is in such a pathetic state:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 avicbebaldemelt

What a disgrace! would the dirty fighting on and off the field scumbags rovers be playing in the first division next year if they finished second.
    Another FAI **** up! Des Casey hang your head in disgrace!!!!:

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭falipo

this can only be described as a pisstake.........wheres the petition

• Advertisement

John Gill on Newstalk at the moment wont say if he intends to manage Dundalk next year even though he has a new contract. He is meeting Gerry Matthews tonight to discuss their next move. Can anyone who hears of the next move keep us informed on here like petitions or demonstrations.

On a seperate note has Peter Halpin stood down or been sacked or something. I notice all reference to him has been removed on the club site when I was looking for his reaction. Maybe this is old news perhaps someone could enlighten me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭bottlerocket

Far as I know there is very little they can do. If they go to the courts over it FIFA will step in as it's their policy to do so. Basically any country where the civil courts get involved in football can get banned from international competition. They did this to Iran (I think) recently and threatened Portugal with the same when clubs appealed FA decisions to the civil courts.

It stinks. It seems the FAI believe your sporting success on the field of play counts for nothing if your business plan isn't (allegedly) in the top 12. But if you're from the capital - hey, don't pay your players, run up enormous debts! You don't even have to have a ground! And if you do have a ground, you don't even need any fans (I'm looking at you, UCD). Sickened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

John Gill on Newstalk at the moment wont say if he intends to manage Dundalk next year even though he has a new contract. He is meeting Gerry Matthews tonight to discuss their next move. Can anyone who hears of the next move keep us informed on here like petitions or demonstrations.

On a seperate note has Peter Halpin stood down or been sacked or something. I notice all reference to him has been removed on the club site when I was looking for his reaction. Maybe this is old news perhaps someone could enlighten me.
    Not familiar with the fans forum? www.orielweb.com

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Far as I know there is very little they can do. If they go to the courts over it FIFA will step in as it's their policy to do so. Basically any country where the civil courts get involved in football can get banned from international competition. They did this to Iran (I think) recently and threatened Portugal with the same when clubs appealed FA decisions to the civil courts.

It stinks. It seems the FAI believe your sporting success on the field of play counts for nothing if your business plan isn't (allegedly) in the top 12. But if you're from the capital - hey, don't pay your players, run up enormous debts! You don't even have to have a ground! And if you do have a ground, you don't even need any fans (I'm looking at you, UCD). Sickened.

Before i say anything i haven't come on hear to gloat, i feel very sorry for DFC. However the fact was these criteria were layed down months ago and all clubs signed up to it. That play off was never a promotion play off, it was a farce and should never have been played. John Gill knew this before it kicked off. Fact is the league you came second in was disbanded.
    As for you saying the FAI believe your success on the field of play counts for nothing, not true. On the field points were counted as results over the last four years where gufc finished above dfc 3/4 times.
    However if they had stuck with the original 5 years (they abandoned the 5th due to Kildare county only being existence for 4 years), where you won the cup you probably would have scored more on field points. That's where i have sympathy with you.
    That wasn't the case and we're in the premier and you aren't, but no doubt you'll piss the first next season and i hope you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭bottlerocket

Kazooie wrote:
    That wasn't the case and we're in the premier and you aren't, but no doubt you'll piss the first next season and i hope you do.

Not that simple. Can't see many of the better players sticking around, Gill may well go if he gets a good offer. Good luck to Galway, though, I hope ye do well. I've no ill will towards them, just the system. In fairness, I think Galway would've been saying the same if the roles were reversed.

• Advertisement

I agree best of luck to those who are in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

They had a great opportunity to get rids of UCD a team that is of absolutely no benefit to the league with their tiny fan base etc. Dundalk would probably have struggled in the prem as they don't have a sugar daddy like Drogs ( What will happen there when he stops pumping money in). Dundalk always end up with the short straw.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Right enough is enough , if you wish to continue this discussion i will refer you to www.orielweb.com

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement