Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone tell me about this structure?

Options
  • 11-12-2006 3:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

Sep%202006%20030.jpg

Sep%202006%20031.jpg

These are photos taken in Belcamp Park (also known as Priorswood Park locally) on the northside of Dublin. I've always wondered what this was. As a kid, it was known as the Fairy Hill. In case you can't see from the picture, the structure is shaped like an igloo. It's covered in muck and overgrown bushes. The only entrance is the one you see in the picture (unless there's some kind of underground entrance)

Right behind it there used to a big house once owned (or at least lived in) by Countess Markiewicz. I'd guess that the whole park (and maybe more surrounding areas) were once part of the grounds of this house. The foundations of the house were there 20ish years ago, but not now.

Is this building some kind of tiny stable or coal bunker? Does anyone have any idea what it might be?

EDIT: Here's a fuller view:

Sep%202006%20028.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

It looks a bit like an Ice house, probably from the old manor house.

Here's an example of a preserved one.

http://www.moseley-society.org.uk/icehouse.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭damienom

Am open to correction but I think there's a similar structure in St Anne's Park, remember running around inside it as a kid, was always told it was one of the delivery tunnels for the old Guinness estate house

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

It looks a bit like an Ice house, probably from the old manor house.

Here's an example of a preserved one.

http://www.moseley-society.org.uk/icehouse.htm

Thanks, that does seem like a likely explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭Archeron

That looks exactly like a similar structure on the grounds of Belcamp college, except the one in the college is surrounded by forest. I done a history project on great houses of the area, and it was indeed an ice house for storing meat and food.

Last I seen it, the one in the college wasnt bricked up, but that was a number of years ago, so it probably is by now.

I'll have to check that one out next time I'm in the area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I saw this thread only today, so sorry about the late reply. It is, I think, an ice house. I didn't know there was one in such a good state of preservation in Dublin... thanks for the pics. There is one in Donadea Forest park in Kildare and one in Larch Hill in Kilmashogue. I am really interested in these structures. Any more examples known to anyone here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

A couple I know in the North-East include one in Dundalk (in Ice House Hill Park of all places!) and in Dún a' Rí Forest Park, just outside Kingscourt in County Cavan. The latter is a nice example. It was built on the Cabra Estate by the Pratt family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Thanks for those leads mate ^^ .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

There's a nice one in the grounds of ardgillen castle near ballbriggan.It was recently restored and is well signposted.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Smiley_ie

Its an old Well, Part of what was referred to as The Pink Mantsion at the edge of priorswood park.:D

• Advertisement

What's the pink mansion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Oul Wan

Are you sure it's a well? It looks fairly similar to the ice house in Donadea.

Advertisement