Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Patrol are the Westlife of Indie!!!

Options
  • 11-12-2006 1:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭

I hate them so much, they are so f@cking twee with their celtic sincerity... I just wanted to get that off my chest!
    :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭-Freebird-

Well aren't Snow Patrol writing songs for some teeny bopper now?! Like Jessica Simpson or someone silly like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Tallspoon

Because they are the Westlife of INDIE!!!

At least Westlife (or 'the life' as I believe the kids on the street call them) are honest. You get what you see. SP like to think there is something better about themselves. They think they are quality. How wrong they are. They are c@ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Whatever about their current success, they've been playing together for quite a while. I saw them in 2001 and saw The Reindeer Section the next year. I prefer some of their earlier stuff, like "Ask Me How I Am" and "Making Enemies". Don't like their newer stuff though.

Haven't a clue what you mean by "twee with their Celtic sincerity". If I were to make a thread for each one of the bands/artists I disliked the site would collapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Whatever about their current success, they've been playing together for quite a while. I saw them in 2001 and saw The Reindeer Section the next year. I prefer some of their earlier stuff, like "Ask Me How I Am" and "Making Enemies". Don't like their newer stuff though.

I saw them in Cork in 2000 after the recommendation of Unean Fitzsimmons on No Disco. Their first two albums are class. Two of my favourite albums but now it makes me sick to hear the ****e they're doing. Very MOTR, very gay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭JustCoz

I'm inclined to agree OP. I used to like them but their new stuff isn't great. I have tickets to see them in December but I think I might sell them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

God, it's hard to escape Snow Patrol now. I haven't liked anything from their two latest albums. Spitting Games was ok but it's been played to death.
    I really don't like the rest of their stuff. All sounds very much like Coldplay with Gary Lightbody's falsetto to partner Chris Martin's. It's all a bit insipid.
    Not to generalise (well ok, maybe) but females seem to love them. Along with Damien Rice, Maroon 5 and James Blunt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭-Freebird-

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Whatever about their current success, they've been playing together for quite a while. I saw them in 2001

They used to play in a small pub beside me, The Spirit Store years ago... And then they made it big time and forgot me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

I can't say they're bad as Gary Lightbody and Jonny Quinn come from my old school. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Only difference between the two, Westlife are harder drinkers

Interesting article in todays Guardian about SP. Seems like everybody else hates them too!!!
    http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/music/2006/12/snow_patrols_journey_from_unde.html

Oh yes and Gerry Ryan professed today how much Snow Patrols music means to him, if that fat slug likes them theres another reason to hate them...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Snow Patrol are my most hated ''Indie'' (if they're even that anymore) band of the moment. I also scratch my head over the fact they've sold well over 1 million albums this year in the UK :confused::confused:

I sorta liked their earlier material too, never a massive fan but I didn't hate them like I do now. They've so blatantly changed their sound to this sickeningly awful Westlife with guitars/Coldpay rip-off/Emo sound just to sell records to mainstream masses. When my mum and dad who have sh!t taste in everything say they like them you really know how bad they've become.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

This thread should be linked to that anti Ireland thread in Travel as evidence. Begrudgers the lot of ye...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

wouldnt call them twee:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

They're the band that I imagine those two annoying broads from the Meteor ads would like, for that reason alone I despise them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

If I just stay hurrr.. haha

Pure Muck! I heard Gerry Ryan say that chasing cars was his favourite song of last year.

Garret wrote:
    wouldnt call them twee:confused:

Definition of twee:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=twee&r=f
    -- of, or relating to, something of little value that can evoke such a delighted sound from someone of little intellect.

T

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Yeah they're crap enough alright, but to be fair, they're making themselves pretty rich so good luck to them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Wow, i never like SP but couldnt put my finger on it till now! Good analogy OP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

JustCoz wrote:
    I'm inclined to agree OP. I used to like them but their new stuff isn't great. I have tickets to see them in December but I think I might sell them

Well if you can't sell them, Duke Special is supporting, he's excellent! I'd go just for him! Saw him support Bell x1 a while ago and now I can't get enough of him!

Plus, I hate the person who put Damien Rice in the same sentence as Maroon 5 and James Blunt. He's so much better than them. Please don't make me cry, it's 5 days to Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

Yea, they aren't great. I kind of liked their last album, havn't really heard anything before that but the new stuff is fairly sh*te

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,089 ✭✭✭mada999

I'm not a big fan of them but they have recorded some good tunes....ok fair enough their current album isnt the best, but neither is damien "pretentious" rice's nor coldplay's current one imo and people still seem to like them...

Tbh I bet you all have 1 of their albums/singles in your cd/hard drive collection...

blah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Snowplay, sorry, Snow Patrol were alright at the start but then they bought in a new 'Bland-O' filter in the studio and Coldplayed their sound by about 37% and it was all downhill from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

mada999 wrote:
    I'm not a big fan of them but they have recorded some good tunes....ok fair enough their current album isnt the best, but neither is damien "pretentious" rice's nor coldplay's current one imo and people still seem to like them...

Tbh I bet you all have 1 of their albums/singles in your cd/hard drive collection...

blah

Damien Rice's new album is really good...but he's a person you either love or hate...if you read the ticket's review of 9 it hits the nail on the head!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Ah now are ye not being a bit too harsh on these guys. They've been around for an age and are finally making a few bob. I think there fine, Set Fire to the Third Bar is a quality song, but I don't think I'll be buying their album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

GreenHell wrote:
    Ah now are ye not being a bit too harsh on these guys. They've been around for an age and are finally making a few bob. I think there fine, Set Fire to the Third Bar is a quality song, but I don't think I'll be buying their album.

True, I like that song, nothing else on the album though, the album has done too well for whats in it, it's their worst

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I really liked the grungey college rock of their first two albums, but then they turned into a Coldplay tribute band.

Advertisement