Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crown, and Medical Card

Options
  • 10-12-2006 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭

I got a crown on one of my upper front teeth, 1 of the main 2 teeth, 14yrs ago, it was ok until last night,when i was eating,it cracked and fell off.

My tooth is very very sensitive and sore,its very hard to eat..
    I have a medical card,and no money (i'm unemployed), does anyone know if a crown is covered under the Medical Card??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

possibly, i think if a dentist fills in a form and makes an exceptional case for one it may be covered.
    also it is covered if you visit the dublin dental hospital and are accepted for treatment onto a student list. i believe you can visit the a+e dept in the hospital if you arrive at 8 am.good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

thanks for the reply.
    i was looking into going to the Dublin Dental Hospital,but i think,fromt heir webiste, that they charge for work dont there..
    I'm gonna go to the local healthboard dental clinic first thing in the morning.
    fingers crossed!

thanks for the reply.
    i was looking into going to the Dublin Dental Hospital,but i think,fromt heir webiste, that they charge for work dont there..
    I'm gonna go to the local healthboard dental clinic first thing in the morning.
    fingers crossed!

UPDATE- the HSE are a bunch of *&^%$$'s, aparrently Crown's are a cosmetic thing,and they dont cover it..
    How much could i expect to pay for a Crown, all i need is a cap, basically a couple of millimetres are missing off the tip of my front tooth,making it very sensitive,it hurts,and is unsightly,
    how much could i expect to pay?? no speculation,just replies from people that had this done..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

not 100% if it was the same procedure but my mum paid 1500 for a crown on her front tooth. I'm having one done on a back tooth at the moment but that's "only" 800 but will be metal not nice white stuff.

i did some research and "Crown" is a broad term,there are many types, most of them are where there is no tooth or a stump or column of tooth left,and they cover that with a crown,which resembles a tooth. the stump,or base can be made of metal.
    my tooth is still there and intact,i just need a cover on the end of it,usually made of porcelain or acrylic plastic,which probably only costs cents to them,but to get done costs people hundreds..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Crowns cover your entire tooth. See here Crown.gif

They can be metal....ceramic...or metal fused to ceramic. There are pros and cons to the different types of crowns and your dentist can advise you on the one that best suits your bite and the tooth that needs fixing. For front teeth matching the shade and texture of your other teeth can be really difficult and a really good crown can cost a lot....1500 euro as one poster said is quite expensive but it depends on the lab costs and skill and experiance of the dentist and laboratory technician. A rough average is between 700 and 900 euro...(this is just my guess)

Think some poeple get confused with white fillings which some people insist on calling caps for some reason? A white filling bonds to your existing tooth and replaces only the missing portion. The white filling material is very very expensive universe77 for the dentist to buy and takes much training to place so it looks like a tooth. The medical card does cover white fillings on front teeth. They last on average 4-5 years.
    bonding_bna.jpg

Crowns are really the best way to resotre a really very badly broken tooth. They last on average between 10 - 12 years. The medical card will under some circumstances cover crowns espically if the rest of your teeth are in good condition, the dental hospital is also a choice however the waiting list can be long.

Good luck, sorry for the images they are off the net

Think some poeple get confused with white fillings which some people insist on calling caps for some reason? A white filling bonds to your existing tooth and replaces only the missing portion. The white filling material is very very expensive universe77 for the dentist to buy and takes mush training the place so it looks like a tooth. The medical card does cover white fillings on front teeth. They last on average 4-5 years.

spot on Emily Vast Peppermint!! thats the info i was looking for, i got mis-informed elsewhere that i had and needed a crown..
    what came off my tooth was a white filling,i dont remember getting fitted for it,they just pasted stuff on and shaped it.
    are you definite in saying that white fillings on front teeth are covered by the medical card?? if so,that is a huge relief!! :D
    the tooth in question is one of my top front main teeth,the flat ones.. its just missing a couple of millimetres off the tip of it.
    i'll ring around some more dentists in the morning! thanks:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Great info Fitzgeme, Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Yes the medical card covers white fillings on your front 6 teeth (canines, lateral incisors and central incisors). Well at least this was the situation in 2004. Maybe one of the other dentists here who work for the medical card can fill us in with up to date info.

Advertisement