Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not working as a team

Options
  • 10-12-2006 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi there, I have just started hockey after 7 years being out of the game. Didn't realise how much I missed the game! I have played at a high standard in the past (mens provincial hockey up to U21's). I have joined an up and coming team that have been promoted regularly for the last few years (navan hockey club). A very enthusiastic team full of zelous and up for everything!

We have good players individually but when we play as a team we get betten badly! I have no problems with the teams commitments, we usually have a good turn up of players for practise and things. We just don't connect as a team and it is taking its toll on the players confidence as we are being beaten badly each game!

Any ideas to lubricate the team together? I am strong believer in team moral and you have to be comfortable with who you are playing with. EX. what the forwards want, what kind of a game they like playing and where they like the ball being passed to etc. Just simple stuff that when you have the ball you know your team mates will be there to pass to.

I have been thinking that something like paintballing would be a good thing to maybe join the team together? Any other suggestions?

A

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

someone on our team had a house in Wexford so we all went down for a weekend, it was deadly craic, that could be a good idea either.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Lisapeep

I know how you feel Callmealan. I have seen this situation on several teams that I have played on. Paintballing sounds like a great idea or even something like a meal out with the team could make a difference. These things would definitely help you guys to get to know each other better.

As for knowing where people will want the ball passed to them on the pitch etc, perhaps you could organise practise games against other teams in your club so that you can really get a feel for each others style of play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 callmealan

Thanks for the advice, will organise a practise game or two in the future. I feel sorry for the lads as they work very hard and its demorilising for all. Its a matter of getting used to each others way of playing.

Much appreciated,

Alan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

just to make a point, I've been on teams that are "cliquey", I don't know if this happens in guys clubs as much, but if you just make an effort not to let this happen, when everyone acts as a team and not 3 people here and 4 people there it definitely helps.

Best of luck with the rest of the season!

Advertisement