Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy a small Handheld GPS Unit?

Options
  • 10-12-2006 2:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭

Im not exactly up to date on all the different type of GPS, but basically I'm looking for a resonably priced handheld unit that covers maps of city streets etc.

I've has a look around but there seems to be so many types that I might not be sure i'm getting the correct one. Could someone recommend one for me?

Thanks all!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Tell us your bodget, as something second hand may cost the price of something else new, if that makes sense. Also, it'll stop people from giving you items that, even though second hand, are out of your range.

Finally, if its 2nd hand, it'll be old. f its old, it may not have motarways, etc. Look at flashearth.com for an example of an out of date map not having some roads that you'd use today, thus limiting your options, and disabling you from picking new motarways (new being maybe 4 years).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I recently got myself one from ebay where there are plenty of new and second hand ones listed. It did come with the USA base map rather than the Europe one but as that is hardly worth using anyway it didn't matter too much as it worked out €275 cheaper than if I'd bought it from somewhere in Ireland.

REI have a handy page that will show you comparisons between the various models.

Advertisement