Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sauna issues?

Options
  • 08-12-2006 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Just back from a weekend in Prague. The hotel had a sauna which I used and I noticed that the rules stated that you must be nude in the sauna all the time. Now when I used it I was on my own, but just wondering if this is how they operate in Ireland. I have used one in Sligo before and clothing was mandatory. I must admit that it makes more sense to be naked in the Sauna and the clothes get quite clingy, but not sure if this would catch on in Ireland.

Just wondering what people think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

any sauna i've ever used was (swim) clothing mandatory...
    cant see it catching on in ireland tbh, it's just not a "Done Thing"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Was it a sauna or a "sauna"?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭el diablo

Faith wrote:
    Was it a sauna or a "sauna"?
    :D

I think clothing is mandatory in all (official) saunas in Ireland. we're a bit backward that way...:rolleyes:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭hjr

I fail to see why though. Surely if you are going to a sauna and the rules are clearly understood, there should be no problems in us becoming more like the Europeans

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

you always run the risk of either burning your ass checks or the lads down below by sittin on the hot wood with bare skin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

danniemcq wrote:
    you always run the risk of either burning your ass checks or the lads down below by sittin on the hot wood with bare skin
    woah. WOAH. WOAH! Bare skin never makes contact with the wood. Ever. That's a rule that applies everywhere. At all times. Sit on a godamn towel, you freaks. ¬_¬

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Karoma wrote:
    woah. WOAH. WOAH! Bare skin never makes contact with the wood. Ever. That's a rule that applies everywhere. At all times. Sit on a godamn towel, you freaks. ¬_¬
    Beg to differ. Real sauna should be done nekkid and with birch branches to whip yourself into a steaming frenzy. Any Fin would know...

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭easyontheeye

have you ever heard the story about the guy in the sauna just before it was heating up, it was still cold. He sat down on the bench in the sauna in his starkers. His jewels where dangling down between the wooden slats of the bench.

Anyway in the 30 mins or so that he was there, the wood expanded with his jewels still dangling between the slats. he didnt realise and jumped up to get out and well you can guess the rest!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

danniemcq wrote:
    :eek:
    Er...ya... take to LGB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

danniemcq wrote:

Someone sew my mouth shut, PLEASE!!!!!!!!

roflmqao!!!
    ;):p

B

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

have you ever heard the story about the guy in the sauna just before it was heating up, it was still cold. He sat down on the bench in the sauna in his starkers. His jewels where dangling down between the wooden slats of the bench.

Anyway in the 30 mins or so that he was there, the wood expanded with his jewels still dangling between the slats. he didnt realise and jumped up to get out and well you can guess the rest!!! :eek:
    beautiful image there

• Registered Users Posts: 33,265 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Was it a mixed sauna or were there seperate saunas? The gyms I used to go to both had saunas with optional or nudity, but then both were exclusice to the gents' changing room.

In Demark it's nudity only (but again, segregated) and the same with Finland (open to correction here). As regards "the lads" you sit on a towel, you dopey pudding!!:D :D

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

In Germany and Austria it's always in the nip and almost always mixed. And yes, always with a towel between skin and wood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

hjr wrote:
    Just back from a weekend in Prague. The hotel had a sauna which I used and I noticed that the rules stated that you must be nude in the sauna all the time. Now when I used it I was on my own, but just wondering if this is how they operate in Ireland. I have used one in Sligo before and clothing was mandatory. I must admit that it makes more sense to be naked in the Sauna and the clothes get quite clingy, but not sure if this would catch on in Ireland.

Just wondering what people think?

Would you really want to be sweaty and naked in a steamy room with a bunch of auld fellas from Sligo? (I'm from sligo, and I know I wouldn't!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

Over in Spain they had one in the german club we were staying at. They were weird about it. Of course we didn't wanna go in naked, so my brother(who was 14) went in swimming togs, then a big naked german lad comes up and tells him to either strip or get out. I was a little weirded out of ever coming back

bluto63 wrote:
    Over in Spain they had one in the german club we were staying at. They were weird about it. Of course we didn't wanna go in naked, so my brother(who was 14) went in swimming togs, then a big naked german lad comes up and tells him to either strip or get out. I was a little weirded out of ever coming back

Consider a German visiting an Irish sauna. He finds out it's expected and required to wear togs in the sauna, but he finds this disgusting and goes in in the nip.

Do you imagine the reception he'd get would be a whole lot different?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Big naked german guy telling small boy to strip? No that's not weird at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,265 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Big naked german guy telling small boy to strip? No that's not weird at all...

They tend not to think like that as much on the continent. Mainly because they don't read **** like Metro and Hearld AM.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I once went into the one in West Park gym completly nude, I thought you had to :D

Got some strange looks that day

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Same sex sauna's in the raw? Where's the attraction? Now if they were mixed sex, and with fit athletic types that would be interesting. And why should the Church complain? Didn't they order us to be fruitful and multiply?;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

hahahaha, naughty little fecker blue ;p

Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    They tend not to think like that as much on the continent. Mainly because they don't read **** like Metro and Hearld AM.

Very true. OTOH, they do think that if the rules say "in the nuddy" that it's reasonable to chastise those that think the rules shouldn't apply to them.

To be fair, it can be a vulnerable feeling, sitting there in the nip, and one of the things that makes it OK is the levelling aspect of everybody else being the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The one in the Markievicz centre in Tara Street had an odd sign on it "UNISEX SWIMWEAR MUST BE WORN".

I spent a while wondering what unisex swimwear was, until I realised it was meant to say "UNISEX - SWIMWEAR MUST BE WORN".

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Probably a misprint of "Unsexy swimwear must be worn"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Probably a misprint of "Unsexy swimwear must be worn"
    Which was probably a misprint of "Unsexy swimwear must not be worn"

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭hjr

So does anybody know of a Sauna in Ireland that allows nudity. I'm just thinking that with all the foreign workers now in Ireland that surely somebody had the foresight to think it may be a good idea. And surely the foreigners dont go to the sauna in a swimsuit if they are used to going naked in their country?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

Have to say Ive never had it happen to me. How hot exactly are you assuming the wood gets?
    Also most places have these neat little "towelettes", small squares of material that you sit on, but its mainly a hygiene thing.
    In Demark it's nudity only (but again, segregated) and the same with Finland (open to correction here).
    In Finnland it depends on wether the sauna is mixed or not. Ive been in gyms and swimming pools where they had seperate saunas, but I have seen mixed sauna's in such places. In these places nudity is mandatory. Then you have public sauna's which are mixed (like the worlds biggest smoke sauna in my town), nudity is not required but you will look like an odd ball wearing a swim suit and will get more looks than if you were naked. Its the same with the sauna parties where a group rents a sauna and everyone gets naked and goes drinking*. Finally most finns have a sauna at home and if not in their appartment (yep Ive seen them in appartments, like micro-saunas :D) then the appartment building will have a sauna (yes they love sauna that much).

*usually in these parties the women will go in first and after an hour any woman who doesnt want to be "seen" :D will get dressed then the men will join in, in student parties (my main expirence) its usually only foreigners who will leave when the men join or who will wear a towel wrapped around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

I think a major thing about the nudity is that togs can hold onto chlorine in the pool making the sauna a bit toxic. That's what I've heard when I've visited anyway. Plus in Finland not everyone is a total prude :P

• Registered Users Posts: 31,408 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Sur here in Oirland the swimsuits keep the evil in.

Begorrah, what'd come next? Sauna prostitution rings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

hjr wrote:
    So does anybody know of a Sauna in Ireland that allows nudity. I'm just thinking that with all the foreign workers now in Ireland that surely somebody had the foresight to think it may be a good idea. And surely the foreigners dont go to the sauna in a swimsuit if they are used to going naked in their country?
    Yep, the sauna in the men's changing rooms in the Galway Lawn Tennis Club! When I was a member there (for many many years up until 2004 I think) the vast majority of people in there were nude - nothing was said if you wore swimtrunks, it was all pretty relaxed. I'm sure the same applied to the women's sauna upstairs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement