Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What firm do you work for?

• 08-12-2006 4:18pm

Whoo! first post/thread:D
    What firm do you work for?
    How long have you been there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Whoo! first post/thread:D

Damn you to hell woman, DAMN YOU :p

Eh will be re-commencing my training in January in a medium sized firm in Ranelagh, won't name it till I start as I would actually like to start :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

just found this new forum.

am with a med sized in Ranelagh too for quite few years. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,549 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

the largest of the big 4 ;)

for the past 3 yrs and a bit

mart_max wrote:
    just found this new forum.

am with a med sized in Ranelagh too for quite few years. :D

Ok we've established that I'll be working with mart max soon anyway :D

Anonymity is the key here mart max!!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Kenny 5 wrote:
    Ok we've established that I'll be working with mart max soon anyway :D

Anonymity is the key here mart max!!! :p

ahaha, another boardsie around. is the world getting smaller or boards taking over the universe? :p

Marty

• Advertisement

I think boards is taking over :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭kluivert

lol let me know if theres any jobs going. :D

kluivert wrote:
    lol let me know if theres any jobs going. :D

We could take it over, it'd be called "Boards.ie & Co." :p

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭insafehands

Hey, you wouldn't happen to be talking about either the accountants in Trinity House or the one beside it would you?

Hey, you wouldn't happen to be talking about either the accountants in Trinity House or the one beside it would you?

Where's trinity house?

• Advertisement

AAaaaaaaaaaaaagggggggghhhhhhhhh, first day tomorrow :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

How'd it go Kenny 5 ?

It went well. Everyone is nice as pie and mart max welcomed me too :)

Not my first job in practice so all I need to do is adjust to their systems and I'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

Small firm in Waterford with 2 years , its not the worst . Im in need of more money though so I may attempt a venture to the big smhoke some time in the future if theres anything goin let me know :) Money is my motive so keep that in mind :)

Ah sure there's 2 of us here now, another wouldn't be too bad :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Kenny 5 wrote:
    Ah sure there's 2 of us here now, another wouldn't be too bad :p

fag!!

fag!!

Cheeky pup!!! *note to self - inflict pain upon grumpy next time I see him* :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Kenny 5 wrote:
    Cheeky pup!!! *note to self - inflict pain upon grumpy next time I see him* :D

You can try little man!! :p

Does this job mean you will be wearing a suit and tie?

LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

Realisticly what kinda money would I be lookin at in Dub 2 years plus Experience completed prof 1 and Prof 2 and the firm would have to be ACCA registered ?
    I know indusrty based places offer quite a bit but Ive no interest in anything bar fairly small practice firms til Im all fully fledged :)

Does this job mean you will be wearing a suit and tie?

Sure does ya noob. Got a nice navy suit, sky blue pin strip shirt and a salmon coloured tie.......slick as ya like!!!! :p

OldYellar, depends on the firm really.

• Advertisement

@ old yellar

if you work for a small practice you will get paid small practice rates. I would complete my exams then move up, as a newly q accountant in dublin (prob best try a large practice to get some experience with larger clients they are crying out for qualified seniors) you would be looking at circa 50k.

Yeah defo 45-50k up here once you qualify fully (both exams and training time). SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭kluivert

Kenny, have you no work to be doing.

Its ok for you lads or lassies living in Dublin you can walk into an accounting job in practice pretty easy. Lucky b's.

Ha.....I keep telling you to move to the big smoke......it's a land of oppurtunity I tell ya!!! :D

Kenny 5 wrote:
    Yeah defo 45-50k up here once you qualify fully (both exams and training time). SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!! :D

Thats pretty impressive. How difficult is it to move from a small firm to a larger firm after your qualified?

Also how does the money progress as you gain more experience. Does it increas e the longer your at it or does it hit a ceiling pretty quickly?

Hi babybing, not difficult at all. The Big 4 are always looking for staff as there always snowed under for the first 6 months of the year.....after that I think it gets quiet.

If you were to start off as a Senior, you'd expect to make Assistant Manager within 18-24 months. I reckon you'd go up about 10k. Then 18-24 months later you'd expect to make manager. Probably another 10k plus performance related bonuses. I think it's directo after that and then partner. I know there's a few people on here that work in the Big 4 so they'd be able to give you a more accurate hierarchy and money scale.

Babybing wrote:
    Thats pretty impressive. How difficult is it to move from a small firm to a larger firm after your qualified?

Also how does the money progress as you gain more experience. Does it increas e the longer your at it or does it hit a ceiling pretty quickly?

Not difficult at all, as most people leave the big 4 as soon as they qualify (circa 90%) so qualified audit seniors are taken on every year. You will need decent audit experience tho.

Also i know my own firm is now busy in audit for at least 9 months of the year, the old 5-6 mth busy season is long gone.

In KPMG there are no assistant managers, therefore if you join and impress you could conceivable make manager after 12 mths (salary incl bonus etc circa 70k) and the next step is assoc director, director and partner.

Be aware that unless you excel manager in 12 months is unlikely, the problem is that when you join it will take you a while to find your feet, we have our own audit methodolgy and a million forms for a million things, different types of software etc and you need to learn all this stuff.

It is definately a challenging move (from what ive seen of people coming in) from small firm to big4 but if you work hard and learn quickly you will do well

Cyrus wrote:
    Not difficult at all, as most people leave the big 4 as soon as they qualify (circa 90%) so qualified audit seniors are taken on every year. You will need decent audit experience tho.
    well

Wow 90% that's very high. Why do so many leave and what do they go on to do? Thanks for the replies Kenny and Cyrus:)

Babybing wrote:
    Wow 90% that's very high. Why do so many leave and what do they go on to do? Thanks for the replies Kenny and Cyrus:)

This is from what I've heard not a personal experience: People just find that they don't like it.......alot of them actually. Big 4 to any other firm is like chalk and cheese. In a smaller firm you're an asset whereas in the Big 4 you're a number that's easily replaceable. Now this may only be for trainees as most of my friends are trainees, however I do have friends who are qualified within the Big 4 who have given mixed reports. Working in the Big 4 is seen as something that just has to be done. It looks good on your CV. For those who work in the Big 4, this is from what I've heard and is not a dig. I do intend on working in there (whether here or abroad) once I qualify.

Many of the people that leave go into various areas ranging from investments to corporate banking, most though go working in industry. Fortunately for us, accountants run everything in europe (yes it's true), so you'll never be short of job choice locally or internationally.

I'm not sure if I'd change how I've done my training as I've learnt stuff that people in the Big 4 would struggle with or never even hear of. Like I said on another thread, depending on what you want to do, should make your decision on where to apply.

• Advertisement

Kenny 5 wrote:
    I'm not sure if I'd change how I've done my training as I've learnt stuff that people in the Big 4 would struggle with or never even hear of. Like I said on another thread, depending on what you want to do, should make your decision on where to apply.

i dont doubt that at all but the reverse is also very true.

Also in a smaller practice you get a wider range of experience but dont probably get into the same detail as you would in a larger firm

Advertisement