Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doesn't feel like christmas yet

Options
  • 08-12-2006 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭

This is my first year spending christmas outside of Ireland. It is weird how the run up to the big is different to back home.

Today is the 8th Dec, farmers didn't over populate the city for the day.

Only a few shops have christmas carols playing.

Minimal decorations are up in the shops.

The main street of Auckland has three angels dangling from a wire across the main street at a few intersections. Two 10' trees are on the over hang of two shops in the city centre.

None of the shops are packed with crazy people buying what they can.

TV adverts are not mostly aimed at the christmas season.

The weather is ok, at least 18-20c most days. Only rains about once a week. Shorts and t-shirt weather :D

Because I'm so far away I needed to get my christmas shopping done earlier than normal to post it home. Got everything bought in one day and posted it all home nearly two weeks ago.

Now all I have to do is wait another 14 days before I go to Perth to spend christmas and new year in warmer weather... Woohoo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭Archeron

And to think, almost every house in Ireland is like this at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Archeron wrote:
    And to think, almost every house in Ireland is like this at the moment.

Not every house, mainly just Tallaght :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

ive never rely enjoyed x-mass or the run up to it , didnt even bother with a tree the last 2 years from what i remember

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

User45701 wrote:
    ive never rely enjoyed x-mass or the run up to it , didnt even bother with a tree the last 2 years from what i remember
    Horror of Horrors!!!

To me anyway. Best time of the year. Ever.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,756 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

You're right there Rabies - It doesn't feel like Christmas yet - even in Dublin.
    I've still not heard "Fairytale in New York" on the wireless or in the shops. And I've not heard Slade belting out "Merry Christmas Everybody" at any Christmas parties.

Small print: This may because I only listen to Newstalk, got my wife to do all my Christmas shopping, & have avoided attending any parties. Interest rates may rise & rise. Terms & conditions apply. Bah humbug!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I'd say the weather plays a big factor. Although saying that it doesn't really feel like Christmas here yet either. Roll on the Chrimbo party where I can make a tit of myself. Then its Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,736 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

ah wait til your diggin into your yorkshire puds and roast spuds, forking out the 200euro + on the lady in your life, and hittin on the revolting looking secetary from work at the Crimbo doo at 4 in the morning locked then you'll know its Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

One must agree, for all the people giving out about the early start made by advertisers, I have yet to actually feel annoyed by such advertising... in fact I kind of miss it :( Maybe I'm just not doing the same thing as I had done in previous years (Like Hill Billy I listen to newstalk, and I haven't really been near shops thus far).

I always used to come up to de big shmoke on the 8th with everyone from school. Ah the aul 10.10 train :) Then we'd battle with everyone else from every other county for de besht deals. Of course we'd always slip into the Galway Hooker for a shneaky pint, before making the way home. All in all it'd be a good day out, and I kinda miss that too :(

Ah well. Maybe I'll move down the country especially so that I can come up for Culchie Day! I've actually noticed that less and less Culchies are actually coming up.. a sign of decent regional shopping centres I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Trilla wrote:
    ah wait til your diggin into your yorkshire puds and roast spuds, forking out the 200euro + on the lady in your life, and hittin on the revolting looking secetary from work at the Crimbo doo at 4 in the morning locked then you'll know its Christmas!

Currently single, so I'm saved on that expense this year. But I plan on hitting on a few aussie girls when I get to Perth :p Not working so no christmas work party.

Event the houses here have minimal lights up outside. Some of the pictures of Santa hav him dressed in beach wear and surfing, seems weird but normal for here.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Companies have become aware and almost fearful of early celebration. Now nobody wants to be the first, people are actively on the look out, I was in some supermarket in november and some song started, 2 guys were moaning "oh here we go". I didnt even recognise the song as being a christmas one! there are a few "christmas songs" like that, like that frankie goes to hollywood "the power of love".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

Yea I haven't got into the Christmas spirit at all yet. The job have no decorations up yet...but I did see some lying around today so hopefully someone will put them up. The weather doesn't help either, we need it more colder and more frostier in the mornings.
    Wonder if we'll get snow for Christmas...??? ... Doubt it!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Doesn't feel like christmas ... bah, thats cos it ain't christmas.

Given the rediculous excess of the last couple of years the joy of crimbo is beginning to dull for me, and is being replaced with a grinding teeth type feeling.

I'll start feeling christmassy on the 23rd when I arrive home.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Moved into my new house on Tuesday :D Put my (small) Christmas tree up on Tuesday night and the place feels great...

Granted myself and the gf take turns sitting on the one armchair we have between us and we only have a 14" TV and an air mattress to sleep on but hey, I'm feeling very Christmas-like at the moment and having the tree up makes me feel great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

do we know its christmas time at all?? :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Forced my better half to put up some decorations including a crib and a few baby Christmas trees - not getting the real Christmas vibe either this year as I am spending half my time in hospital in the run up to Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

I absolutely love Christmas.
    I love meeting up with old friends for drinks.
    I love the work do's, the family do's and the friendly gettogethers.
    I love buying presents for people. I really enjoy thinking about each person, and figuring out what pressie will best suit them.
    I love wrapping presents.
    I love seeing the look on the recipients face as they unwrap the present I have given them.
    I love the family feel.
    I love the Christmas songs.
    I love the dark, crisp winters nights.
    I love the clothes people wear over Christmas, all that cheesy fur and wool jumpers and hats and scarfs.
    I love Christmas TV, and Christmas Food.

I wish radio stations would start playing more XMAS music, and I wish Henry ST would blast out the Xmas tunes like they did last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

stephen p wrote:
    Wonder if we'll get snow for Christmas...??? ... Doubt it!! :rolleyes:

Do you know that this day last year we had snow? I remember 'cos it took me 2.5 hours to drive half a mile around my town before I turned back and missed work.

Christmas party tonight, let the fun begin....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It doesn't feel like Christmas here either, but that's mostly because I've been holed up in my flat for the last two weeks studying. I'd say Princes Street is gorgeous. They go all out for Christmas down there - a German market, an ice skating rink, a big wheel, those swingy chair things that go swing around really fast, loads of lights and trees... It's beautiful. But I won't get to see it until next Wednesday or Thursday, and I'm flying home on the Friday :(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

doesn't feel like Christmas is approaching at all. hopefully it stays that way. i hate it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,736 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Mossy Monk wrote:
    doesn't feel like Christmas is approaching at all. hopefully it stays that way. i hate it

baa humbug

thats a load of cornflakes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Christmas really is what you make of it, pretty much like anything else really...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Horror of Horrors!!!

To me anyway. Best time of the year. Ever.

:D

i like the boozing and the presents but the tree and the dinner, mass and all that crap no interest in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Kalina

I love Christmas, and it does feel like Christmas for me. I went into town last night and bought all my presents. When I got home I gave my housemates their gifts (a bit early but they saw me coming in the door with them and it was obvious what they were so why not). We put up the Xmas tree aswell, with some VH1 Xmas songs countdown on in the background so feeling the spirit bigtime. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

I am sitting here wearing a santa hat. So i'm definitely in the christmas mood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

it doesnt feel like xmas at all this year, even though there is still over two weeks to go, i was shopping in the city centre today and all i could smell was cabbage & bacon from the culchies, but i couldnt smell any mulled wine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I can't really forget it is Christmas here, I am reminded by the neighbours across the street with their little competition on who can put up more lights and decorations (pictures to come when it gets darker).

Apart from that not feeling Christmas, probably because I am still tired from just moving into this house and doing work on it since then. Started wrapping a few pressies today though, getting there. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I got my Wii at 7:10 this morning, and it felt EXACTLY like Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I haven't heard one christmas song outside my house yet.... not playing christmas music makes baby jesus stay inside his mommy.....

Advertisement