Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This is weird.....

Options
  • 08-12-2006 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭

ok im watching sg1 and they mention that the other ship is 50 light years away so i go to myself hmmmmm i wonder how much faster asguard hyperdrive is compared to federation warp 9.975.....

It turns out allot

It would take a federation ship roughly 100 years to traverse the entire galaxy but (and this is the weird bit) An asguard ship takes exeatly 666.666 hours....

50 light years = 20 mins

galaxy 100,000 light years divided by 50

Div 50
    x20 (time it takes to travel 50 light years)
    40,000 mins
    div 60 (to find out how many hours)
    666.666 hours

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

You are now officially a nerd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

ive always been into sci-fi i watched TOS when i was 5
    still tho nerd implies studying school and collage
    I went to school and all but didnt bother with much more and i do enjoy a drink and a nice dooby so that pretty much says im not a nerd i just love sci-fi not everyone who loves sci-fi is a nerd

User45701 wrote:
    ive always been into sci-fi i watched TOS when i was 5
    still tho nerd implies studying school and collage
    I went to school and all but didnt bother with much more and i do enjoy a drink and a nice dooby so that pretty much says im not a nerd i just love sci-fi not everyone who loves sci-fi is a nerd

Hey I'm not slagging, I'm a nerd and I've often wondered what the comparative speeds between Stargate and Startrek would be, just never actually sat and wrote it down though. I think it's clear though, star wars ships beat them both, they zip all over that galaxy like it's not even there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

User45701 wrote:
    ok im watching sg1 and they mention that the other ship is 50 light years away so i go to myself hmmmmm i wonder how much faster asguard hyperdrive is compared to federation warp 9.975.....

It turns out allot

It would take a federation ship roughly 100 years to traverse the entire galaxy but (and this is the weird bit) An asguard ship takes exeatly 666.666 hours....

50 light years = 20 mins

Div 50
    40,000 mins
    666.666 hours

A liitle too much time on your hands, maybe? :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Lol, thats crazy. I wonder do the writers know that, like is it intentional or wha?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

User45701 wrote:

It turns out allot

50 light years = 20 mins

Div 50
    40,000 mins
    666.666 hours

Yeah, thats cause federation ships travel at light speed whereas ships in the stargate universe use hyper drive(more similar to that used in star wars.) A similar prepulsion system is seen in Star Trek Voyager it was called the quantum slipstream drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Jesjes wrote:
    Lol, thats crazy. I wonder do the writers know that, like is it intentional or wha?
    Er... go anywhere at an arbitrary speed, and you can make it take 666 units of time. I doubt its significant in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

mcgarnicle wrote:
    Hey I'm not slagging, I'm a nerd and I've often wondered what the comparative speeds between Stargate and Startrek would be, just never actually sat and wrote it down though. I think it's clear though, star wars ships beat them both, they zip all over that galaxy like it's not even there.

You are both, officially nerds.

cotwold wrote:
    Yeah, thats cause federation ships travel at light speed whereas ships in the stargate universe use hyper drive(more similar to that used in star wars.) A similar prepulsion system is seen in Star Trek Voyager it was called the quantum slipstream drive.

Eh no they don't, just looking at Wikipedia here and apparantly warp 9.2 is about
    1649 times the speed of light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Moe Lester

they say it in star trek

'it would take us 70 years to get 70,000 light years at the highest warp'

and it takes 4 days with a zpm to go 3 million light years to atlantis.

meaning it is not only way faster but under a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

ive always assumed that it takes a federation ship at high warp 1 year to travel 1000 light years which translates into 2.73972603 light years if they travel at max speed for a day

div 365

but then again

70,000 light years = 70 years so 70 X 365 = 25550 days to travel 70,000
    div 25550 into 70,000 and ye u still get 2.73972603

So theres a decent difference in tech there

Advertisement