Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buyin a tele in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭Vexorg

@ Hacketry - thanks for that.

And you good folks who make the Home Entertainment forums what they are - well done on getting a mention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭nodger

I also tried the Sony shop on O'Connell Street, but it left me underwhelmed. The staff-to-customer ratio was low, and no one seemed especially eager to help. When I asked for a DVD recorder that can handle DVDs from more than one region, I was told that no such product exists.

"Yes," I replied, "but the players can be made to access DVDs from any region with a simple hack." The fellow glared at me with moral indignation. "We wouldn't know anything about that," he sniffed.

Most retailers will gladly help you choose DVD players and recorders that can be unlocked easily, and will even provide printed instructions along with your sales receipt. But the taboo makes sense when you remember that Sony, unlike most other equipment makers, controls a media empire and therefore benefits from region lockout. No doubt staff are indoctrinated to regard hacking region codes as sacrilege.

The indoctrination must be a recent thing, because a couple of years ago, some dork in the Sony Centre in Blanchardstown offered to charge me €50 to make my new DVD player multiregion.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Vexorg wrote:
    @ Hacketry - thanks for that.

And you good folks who make the Home Entertainment forums what they are - well done on getting a mention.

Reverbed by me too, well done folks. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

nodger wrote:
    The indoctrination must be a recent thing, because a couple of years ago, some dork in the Sony Centre in Blanchardstown offered to charge me €50 to make my new DVD player multiregion.
    the salient point here is SONY. As far as I know there is no way to hack any Sony DVD player but you can change the chip - hence the €50 charge for a €1 chip, labour and to cover the chip under guarentee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

marketing gimmickry baffles you, search Wikipedia to learn the differences between, say, SCART and HDMI, or NTSC and SECAM.
    lol
    I'm afraid anyone who doesn't know what SCART, HDMI etc are is going to have a lot of trouble with the word 'Wikipedia'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Whatever about SCART, you'd be suprised at the amount of people who don't know what HDMI is yet.
    :)

Advertisement