Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smokers....

Options
  • 07-12-2006 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

Do you smoke, what and why?

Started smoking when i started college not quite sure why didnt really know many people in the class and got alot of breaks so something to do with my time and meet people i guess. Started smoking marlboro lights and was at about 5 a day and tried to keep to that.

Recently stopped because i cant really justifty it so many people are telling me how stupid it is and well dont like the idea of killing myself. I do miss it and whatever anyone tells you smoking is cool!!

And just to say this isnt a smokers bashing thread start your own one if you want to try keep this on topic

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i started originally because it was the done thing. smoked 30 Benson a day for little over 10 years then decided to stop one evening at work. still off them after 16 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Theres an entire forum dedicated to the joys of smoking. PM Sarge or Papa Smut for access.

I smoke, have done since I was around 15/16 and am almost 21 now but am in the process of giving up. Mainly smoke Marlboro Light or Camel Light, 5 max per day for the last while and will go cold turkey soon enough. It will be great when the 10 packs go and I've to sit here with a 20 pack and try and limit my intake...Absolutely fantastic, thank you very much Mary Harney & co, you pack of useless f*cks.

I really don't like the idea of having a tube in my neck to help me breath in the future so want to get off them as soon as I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭Archeron

I started smoking at 14 because I thought it was cool. Got hooked pretty quick and within a couple of years was on 30 Rothman a day. Smoked for 15 years and then started to see and fell the effects on my body. Going to the gym got harder, breathing became more difficult, and I ended up really hating them with a passion. Am off them now just over a year.

I suppose its a bit of an inspiration where you reach a certain age, and older people in your extended family begin to die off from heart and cancer related problems. It makes you think how stupid smoking is, and how they could have lived another 10-25-50 years.

In fairness though, for 85% of the time that I smoked, I did enjoy it. Now i know the enjoyment is not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭blahhh

I started smoking every once in a while at 15/16 and gradually from there the habit grew....I was hanging around with smokers....and I actaully LIKE the smell...

I used to smoke about 6/7 a day, but to be honest I only smoke about 12-15 a week now....not so bad...yet still, it's a crappy ol' habit.

I smoke a little more now I'm in college, fag break every two seconds...the temptation is too much :cool: And at work...someone says "Fag break?" I'm like, meh why not.....

I will eventually quit...I think I have the will power...I've tried before but I've never really wanted to quit....so yeah when i want it i'll do it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

rb_ie wrote:
    It will be great when the 10 packs go and I've to sit here with a 20 pack and try and limit my intake...Absolutely fantastic, thank you very much Mary Harney & co, you pack of useless f*cks.

I think we should me more concerned about the 16/17 year old kids who don't know any better, are naive and immature and have **** all money. Of course it makes sense making cigarettes as unaffordable as possible for them.

As far as I am concerned, the supposedly mature 20+ year olds how have no ****ing willpower can go **** themselves and get some cop on.

This is one of the few sensible things that the silly **** actually done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Archeron wrote:
    I started smoking at 14 because I thought it was cool. Got hooked pretty quick and within a couple of years was on 30 Rothman a day. Smoked for 15 years and then started to see and fell the effects on my body.
    blahhh wrote:
    I started smoking every once in a while at 15/16 and gradually from there the habit grew....I was hanging around with smokers....

So do you guys think that taking packs of 10 out of circulation, in theory making it more difficult for kids to purchase them, while still maintaining the rights of free willed adults to buy whatever they like, is a good idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

just to say this isnt a smokers bashing thread start your own one if you want to

the door is over there anti-smoking boy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

So do you guys think that taking packs of 10 out of circulation, in theory making it more difficult for kids to purchase them, while still maintaining the rights of free willed adults to buy whatever they like, is a good idea?

Possibly - but THIS could also happen:

Ban on 10pack Cigarettes Welcomed by Schools

James McKenna - Class president & year rep for 3rd year in Mint Tomple Comprehensive welcomes the ban on 10 pack cigarettes.

"I'm confident this will be the icebreaker of the new generation. I mean you can get a 10 pack for the price of your lunch & smoke them on your own, but it's just too expensive for a 15 year old to get a 20 pack.... This means to get smokes we'll have to go halves on 20 packs"

When suggested it might curb people from continuing to smoke James advised "no, nicotine's actually an addictive substance, you find a way"

James believes having to "go halves" will help more people get to know each other, "If you buy smokes with someone you'll probably smoke with them too. Then you get chatting - might even get some non smokers to take up to avoid feeling left out."

I started smoking the year the smoking ban came in - I was 19(how embarrassing) - was smoking spliffs so suppose the nicotine cravings started from that. Then when I went to the pub with a mate who smoked I'd have one of hers when she was going out for smokes. Then I started buying my own & for best part of a year was smoking 20 a day + doobs. Then the wonderful Alan Carr(RIP) re published his EASYWAY book & it caught my eye. No legal cigs since I read it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

10 packs being banned will just have those who can't afford 20 packs by themselves chipping in with their friends on 20 packs. Simple as. It won't work at all, completely ridiculous idea. I mean how stupid do you have to be? "They can't buy 10 packs so they definately won't smoke!!!" Not f*cking likely. In fact, the new price of 20 packs will almost be the same as buying two 10 packs separately.

Anyway, this isn't the thread topic and theres already one or two going about it, so lets not de-rail this any further.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

No. Never.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭Archeron

I was far from well of when I started smoking, but if 10 packs hadnt been available, I would have found a way to buy 20. Lets not forget our friends Drum, Duma, Sampson and to a lesser extent, Golden Virginia.

as BottleofSmoke points out, while smoking is extremely anti-social, between smokers it is exceedingly social. A mate of mine who didnt smoke once commented on the apparent "bond" smokers would build very quickly, even on first meeting. That article above makes a good point, as this could cause more people to bond with other smokers and re-inforce their habits. (doubt it would be significant number, but its still something I didnt think about)

In a way, its kind of like a club. Lets not tell the non-smokers what the secret handshake is....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

use to smoke back when i was in secondry and still occasionally cadge one off my friends when im particularly langered, started from boredom really waiting for the bus. place i repeated the leaving was at the tail end of the route so you could gaurentee 3 bus's passing me full of kids from schools in town before one was empty enough to let me on. remember it being winter, bloody cold went through you and a fag seemed to help stave it off.

ocasional lapse's aside im glad i gave em up, didnt smoke that much anyway and the difference in my chest after a month or so was amazing. couldnt believe how much it affected my breathing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

I stared smoking when i was 15 on a drinking session i started because i was drunk bored and ofcoarse peer pressure and i smoked benson and hedges special filer, i quite smoking when they took benson special filter off the market.

Then i started on the jp for the old rolies

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

rb_ie wrote:
    I smoke, have done since I was around 15/16 and am almost 21 now but am in the process of giving up. Mainly smoke Marlboro Light or Camel Light, 5 max per day for the last while and will go cold turkey soon enough. It will be great when the 10 packs go and I've to sit here with a 20 pack and try and limit my intake...Absolutely fantastic, thank you very much Mary Harney & co, you pack of useless f*cks.

Oh ffs, get over it. It's being implemented to cut down on the number of young people taking up the filthy habit, not to force you to keep smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Seems like alot of people did it for the same reason i.e. bored waiting around college (for buses) and for social aspect (friends doing it etc)

I found the best way to kinda get over it was to do something else so got a mp3 player to get past the bordem still go out on fag breaks but dont smoke its kind of accepted since i used to and im so used to everyone so kinda have what i was looking to get out of it at the start

And as was pointed out earlier this isnt a take the piss out of smokers thread go start your own one or mind your own business

And getting rid of 10packs will do nothing to stop people smoking

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I started just after I turned 15 simply because I wanted to. Somebody offered me a cigarette, I thought "Ah, fúck it" and took it. I smoked very few to begin with and rarely smoked more than 10 a day, unless I was on holidays. When I started, most of my friends picked it up soon after. The reason I still smoke at home is because they still do.

However, I have absolutely no addiction to nicotine. I never have, and presumably never will. I can not smoke for months and not even notice. When I'm in college, none of my friends smoke, so I don't. When I'm at home, all of my friends do, so I do so out of habit and also, as mentioned before, because it's extremely sociable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

yes. hedgehogs. they relax me

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Smoked the first few to get high. Got high and sick. Then started taking the odd drag as a sort of ongoing joke among friends (since I was about the only nonsmoker). Then started having a few while pissed. Then started smoking tobacco in joints. Gave up the tobacco altogether when I started to accept I was addicted. I finally copped on that this "stress relief" thing was a bull**** excuse, all they did was reduce the stress caused by the withdrawl. If I was not addicted in the first place there would be no stress, vicious circle of abuse.

I have many friends who "don't smoke cigarettes, only joints", this is a terrible thing to do, they are fully addicted to tobacco and so end up smoking huge amounts of joints!, when you mix such an addicitve drug with a pleasureable drug it becomes a hugely addictive one. I know a few who still do smoke it just to get high and would not smoke during the week at all, maybe once a month.

If I knew back then what I know now I never would have started, the legality of the damn things led my naive young mind to think it really couldnt be that bad or the government would have banned it. How wrong was I...

The price would also have put me off, I started off using them to get a high, other relatively safer recreational drugs are far cheaper these days.

Advertisement