Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has the word been invented yet?

Options
  • 07-12-2006 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

naughties

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Zeros.
    Zeroies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

"It has become the most popular fashion accessory of the twenty-hundreds."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭parliament

...early 21st century......1st 10 years of the new millennium....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

indeed; there wasn't a similar catchy term for the equivalent time 100 years ago. the only catch is that during the years 201x we'll still be stuck on 'early 21st century' as things stand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

indeed; there wasn't a similar catchy term for the equivalent time 100 years ago. the only catch is that during the years 201x we'll still be stuck on 'early 21st century' as things stand!
    Twenty-Oh-One, Twenty-Oh-Two, etc.

Edit: Read the damned thread in future, Aidan... Still, early ninteen hundreds, early two-thousands?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Twenty-Oh-One, Twenty-Oh-Two, etc.

yes but if you read what the OP said, he's looking for the equivalent 'snappy' term for the twenties, the thirties and so on....

twenty-oh-one does not, by any stretch of the imagination, qualify as snappy! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

They used to say "'aught-eight" to talk about 1908, i.e. "Naught" without the "N".

"Back in aught-eight, I had to eat a handful of gravel for breakfast and crawl to school...etc..."

I have seen it referring to this century too (google 'aught')

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Hey all...
    Writing a report here on technology type stuff and the sentence i'm stuck on is:

"It has become the most popular fashion accessory of the _______"?

Just out of interest, what is the most popular fashion accessory de nos jours? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Its "noughties" as in zero-not "naughties"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Perhaps you could use Pre-teens!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,267 ✭✭✭✭Victor

"It has become the most popular fashion accessory of the _______"?
    Beyond "It has become the most popular fashion accessory of the twenty first century." I don't think it matters. Lets come back in 4-14 years to think of other words.
    Its "noughties" as in zero-not "naughties"
    Prude!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The rather more romantic "belle époque" was commonly used to describe the equivalent period a hundred years ago, albeit mainly in France.

Has "the tookays" already been suggested?

Advertisement