Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Penalty Points

Options
  • 07-12-2006 6:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭

I got caught for speeding on the 12th spetember. I only got the letter today stating the points wonot be in effect till 26th december. Why does it take so long and is there any way or arguing and saying put them on from september.
    Has this happened to anyone else before.i have points before but it never took that long to put them on the licence

Does anyone work in this particular office that can change the date back to September please.:D

PLEASE STICK TO THE TOPIC AND NO STUPID COMMENTS OR IT WILL BE REPORTED.THANKS

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 dillaneS

the points come in when you pay the fine as far as i know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

They have to notify you before they apply the points in case you are getting points which lead to you being disqualified. If you get the points added from when you commited the offence then you would have been driving while disqualified. That's against the law. FACT.

You could argue to get them put on from 28 December 2003 and then you would only have three weeks until they are gone. Arguing will do you no good dude. FACT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

FX Meister wrote:
    They have to notify you before they apply the points in case you are getting points which lead to you being disqualified. If you get the points added from when you commited the offence then you would have been driving while disqualified. That's against the law. FACT.

You could argue to get them put on from 28 December 2003 and then you would only have three weeks until they are gone. Arguing will do you no good dude. FACT.

Thanks for the reply. i paid 1 week after the offence.so it should have been from then not december.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

You just have to suck it up I'm afraid. I was stopped in June and got notification of points in November, to be applied in December. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

JustinOval wrote:
    You just have to suck it up I'm afraid. I was stopped in June and got notification of points in November, to be applied in December. :mad:

Same thing happened to me. I just got the letter about the points being applied on the 26th of December.

Jeez Drdre you must be close to a ban now? haven't you got quite a few points already

• Advertisement

Onkle51 wrote:
    Same thing happened to me. I just got the letter about the points being applied on the 26th of December.

Jeez Drdre you must be close to a ban now? haven't you got quite a few points already

yes i have a few, so driving slow nowadays. sold the golf and downgraded to a polo.:mad: . i have to live with it as its the consequences of driving fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

drdre wrote:
    its the consequences of driving fast.
    and dangerous driving iirc?? ;)

There's a long-ish gap between the time of offence and the time of the points getting added, dunno if there's much you can do as it's mostly in administration. When I got done Aug '05, 2 points came Jan '06, go figure :rolleyes:

Either way Mr. Dre you'd really wanna be careful now bud!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

dillaneS wrote:
    the points come in when you pay the fine as far as i know
    Nope.
    I was caught middle of sept '05. My letter arrived in the post in the middle of jan '06. I paid my fine on the day I got the ticket. Points started from the day stated on the letter.

bastards!!

Rabies wrote:
    Nope.
    I was caught middle of sept '05. My letter arrived in the post in the middle of jan '06. I paid my fine on the day I got the ticket. Points started from the day stated on the letter.

bastards!!

thats exactly what i was saying.it happened to me:mad: .its so annoying its an extra 3-4 months

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It irritates a lot of people, but as FX Meister says, it's mainly to protect people from the "I didn't know" syndrome. A person may not know how many points they have (or how many points a particular offence has incurred). If the fine was paid, and then a few weeks later a letter comes in stating "Points were applied to your licence two months ago, you have been disqualified from driving from that date", then technically you could be arrested an jailed for having driving between the time you paid the fine and the time you got the points.

I could see a raft of legal challenges on that one.

3-4 months is nothing, you won't even notice it. Fact is, it's not like they've "stolen" any extra months from you. You haven't had the points applied over the last 3 months, so what difference does it make if you have the points applied for the previous 3 months of your life, or 3 months at the end? If you renewed your insurance in the last three months and were asked "Do you have any penalty points?" you could legally and truthfully say "No".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

seamus wrote:

3-4 months is nothing, you won't even notice it. Fact is, it's not like they've "stolen" any extra months from you. You haven't had the points applied over the last 3 months, so what difference does it make if you have the points applied for the previous 3 months of your life, or 3 months at the end? If you renewed your insurance in the last three months and were asked "Do you have any penalty points?" you could legally and truthfully say "No".

Insurance companies ask if you have any points or any points pending though

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Onkle51 wrote:
    Well then you'd be screwed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Not if you are renewing your policy with the same company.

I got nabbed driving home after paying my car insurance.

I got notification in the post to renew my policy. I normally pay it by post. But I challanged the price and got it reduced ~€40 but never got new notification so drove off to FBD and paid up and then got fined €80 on the way home d'oh:mad: I didn't know for a month I was caught and I still haven't recieved the points and the offence was in early september

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

@testicle - I deleted your post. Whilst it is your opinion, the OP did request that no stupid comments be made!
    Onkle51 wrote:
    Not all of them do! Mine didn't!

seamus wrote:
    Well then you'd be screwed :)

nah, the insurance company know and didnt place a hefty fine.it was 20% loading which was not much on the insurance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

you must inform your insurance company of any points you get when you get them or your insurance can be nul and void according to them. just renewed my insurance and that was with the letter.

tabatha wrote:
    you must inform your insurance company of any points you get when you get them or your insurance can be nul and void according to them. just renewed my insurance and that was with the letter.

Dont worry i told them before my letter came. my insurance was renewed in october. I told them because i knew i got the points theres no point in hiding them as the the insurance is not worth it if you have an accident.

When penalty points come off will i be notified in advance or just when they ar taken off.Also are they taken off on the exact date or 2/3 months after the expected date just like they are put on.Hope you understand what i mean.thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

They will be taken off on 26th Dec 2009.

No idea if you'll be notified

commited wrote:
    They will be taken off on 26th Dec 2009.

No idea if you'll be notified
    Thanks hope someone can take them off before as thats a long way away :):)

• Advertisement
Advertisement