Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood pelletcentral heating systems in galway

Options
  • 07-12-2006 5:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

my brother is taking orders for wood pellet boiling systems at the moment and is aiming it at people just building their houses. as well as buying and installing these heaters he is going to order in wood pellets for the city which at the moment are very hard to get your hands on. if anyone is interested in buying these boilers or get wood pellets send me a private message and i can redirect you to him personally. Thank you very much.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

How much are these delivered (and alternatively delivered and fitted) if the storage area for the pellets is built and ready right next to the boilerhouse. If I get another joker telling me they are €4,000 or €5,000 each including VAT (burner only no fitting ) I will have to assume your brother is another one of these bloody jokers listed here .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

i'm probably going to use a wood pellet system in our new house, currently under construction, but i'm able to supply my own pellets as I have a small joinery workshop. I'll probably be only able to supply the pellets to myself and brother, not sure how far my wood waste will go, but i'm certainly interested in getting a quote for the boiler.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 jacket/potato

Sponge Bob wrote:
    How much are these delivered (and alternatively delivered and fitted) if the storage area for the pellets is built and ready right next to the boilerhouse. If I get another joker telling me they are €4,000 or €5,000 each including VAT (burner only no fitting ) I will have to assume your brother is another one of these bloody jokers listed here .
    they will cost around 7 to 8 grand but there is a government grant for these boilers for 2 to 3 thousand to help cover the cost of these. this price includes instalation and also a hopper for the wood pellets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Chimpster

A friend of mine has the Kedco Franchise for county Galway.

A standard 24 KW boiler with an augur and a 220 kg hopper should be no more than €5500. The flu needed for these wood pellet boilers could be up to an additional €800 depending on site specifics. Your remaining charge is the plumbers fees for the installation.

So in total you are talking about approximatly €6500 to get up and running.

The grant for this is €4200.

He also has a guarenteed supply of pellets. €165 per tonne bulk or €233 per tonne bagged.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Lostinspace

Do you mind me asking you Jackey/Potato, is your brother doing well with this venture?

Also, Is he a plumber by trade?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Galwaybuild

Chimpster, can you send me some contact details for your friends company.

Chimpster, can you send me some contact details for your friends company.

Galway Build,

I just PM'd you the details.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Chimpster, my mother has one installed but finding pellets hard to come by, can you pm his details so I can forward them onto her

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Chimpster ,
    Can you PM them details to me also. I have been appoved the grant for the Gerkros but am having doubts whether to go with that particular manufacturer.

Thanks

Chimpster ,
    Can you PM them details to me also. I have been appoved the grant for the Gerkros but am having doubts whether to go with that particular manufacturer.

Thanks

Hi Tin Of Apples/tcob1,

I have PM'd both of you the details.

• Advertisement

Do you mind me asking you Jackey/Potato, is your brother doing well with this venture?

Also, Is he a plumber by trade?
    Hello lost in space, he isnt a plumber by trade he is actually a qualified engineer and he is interested in this venture and he decided to get in on it. he is just at the moment setting up a shop on the tuam road so he can display these heating systems and take orders in person and show the product first hand.
    if you are more interested just drop in to the shop anytime from 9 to 4 weekdays. it is beside babyworld where Leaders shop used to be.
    Thank you for your interest.
    Jacket/potato

Where is he getting his wood pellets from?? there is a great shortage in ireland at the moment with the main suppliers in galway unable to keep up with demands.
    My brother is ordering them in from sweden so there is no middle supplier to hike the price up.

Hi Jacket/potato,

He gets them from Kedco directly, I think they source their pellets abroad.

they are probably sourcing from the same supplier. at least they are both trying to keep the prices down for the consumer.
    Jacket/potato

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Biglad

Hi all, let's not panic. I will get my first 4 tonnes of pellets delivered next week from Balcas.
    Buying a pellet Burner is not that easy as many people make the mistake to not research the matter properly, not having adequate pellet storage facilities as well as Hot water storage.
    there are many misunderstandings such as over capacity, which you dont want to much of, self igniting, most Burners dont like to start more then 4 times every 24-hours etc. Gerkros currently have an issue with the ignition system as far as I know.
    Most suppliers of Peller Boilers are banking on the Grant money that you as a buyer are getting from SEI. telling people that 6 or 7 thousand is not that much because of the 4200 Euro Grant is nonsense. If you want to do it right you will have to get proper storage facilities for hot water and pellets as well. Total expanditure could easily be 8 to 10 thousand. The Grant should cover about half the total expanditure.
    I found that there are very few people in Ireland at the moment that will give you honest advice. I looked at the Woodpecker, Baxi Multi Heat, Opop-Scott, Mescoli, Frohling and a few other machines. We now have a 28KW Mescoli PB28 ready for commissioning.
    If you plan your purchase and installation, and try to estimate when you need your pellets, it should not be hard to get them. I've bought a few bags of pellets just to have them for the commissioning, and the bulk ones will arrive soon. The main worry we should all have is the quality of the pellets.

Cheers all.

You are right Biglad, the storage area should be just enough to hold 4 tonne of pellets. An area of 6 cubic metres is sufficent for this. A bit of thought is needed in designing one of these pellet stores. Either that or purchase one of the bulk indoor silos which are designed to hold 3.5 tonne in bulk.

Kedco have a guarenteed supply of pellets with all their boilers and the quality of the pellets has been good so far. They are close to opening their own pellet making facility in Latvia in late March from what I know. Pellet supply should be sorted out very shortly anyway as Irishpellets.com are opening in Clara shortly and also the guy in Tuam is nearly ready to go from what I hear, there are also plans for one in the East Clare area as far as I know.

I am waiting to have my own Kedco boiler installed at the minute, a collegue in Cork has one installed for the last few months and he has been pleased with the perfromance so far. The ash pan gets cleaned every 3 weeks or so and he usually gives a clean to the boiler and burner aswell when he empties the ashes, this only takes a few minutes. Its a 24KW boiler which is heating a 3000 sq foot house with underfloor heating. He also has a 300 litre buffer tank in the garage which has a thermostat on it and when the water in the tank drops below a certain tempreture the WPB kicks in and heats the tank again, this means that there is always a sufficent supply of hot water. It also leads to more effecient use of pellets. This buffer tank also has a coil for a solar panel in it.

The only negatives he finds is the fact that the ash needs to be removed every 3/4 weeks, and that the silver flu at the back of the garage aint the most sightly thing in the world! He said if he was to design the garage again he would definitly put a masonary chimney on the garage. But overall he is happy enough.

By the way, Any recommendations for Solar suppliers in Galway? I am building my own house at the minute and I have got a variety of quotes ranging from 6500 all the way up to 15,000... believe it or not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 prissylee

Hi Chimpster

Would you mind PM me the details of that friend of yours that has the Kedco Franchise for Galway please? Also, I'd be interested to hear how you are getting on with your own kedco boiler? All ok so far?

Thanks.
    prissylee

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

prissylee, I installed the back boiler stove and it is excellent. Runs away in my front room and heats the house, I have stanley stove which does the hot water. I recommend the Kedco and the local agent who is excellent

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 prissylee

Great - tcob1 thanks for the advice. Even though it's the pellet boiler I'm looking into, if the stove is good, then surely the Kedco boilers are also good. Will look into them further. Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cmckeown

I'm thinking of getting the 24KW Kedco pellet burner installed.

Has anyone connected a simple plug in electric meter to this unit to see how many watts it uses when it's running?

I've done my sums and will definitely save using this pellet burner vs using oil which is going up on an almost daily basis.

What I don't want though is something that's running at a constant 200 or 300 or more watts when it's burning pellets.

I think I read somewhere (can't find the link now) that they're about 100 watts when running which is OK I suppose.

What wattage do most people's pumps work at? I know this could vary a lot, but are they typically around the 100 watt mark for say a 150m2 3 bed detached house?

Thanks,

Conor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Deise Dave

Hi ya

I am just at the construction stage now and am considering wood pellets-Please let me know how you have got on since?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cmckeown

I'm getting my burner installed on 24/06/2008 so I'll post updates after that.

I forgot that it's the 30KW model I'm getting as the 24KW model would have been just close to the limit for my house when I do a major extension in the next 12-24 months (or sooner if my numbers come up!).

FYI - the element itself is about 300W I think but that only comes on for about a minute or something to get the pellets started burning. Thereafter, the fan that blows into the chamber to keep things burning is only a few watts - less than 5 or 10 I believe, but again I'll be able to confirm next week.

Cheers,

Conor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 bobcarpo

Chimpster wrote: »
    Hi Jacket/potato,

He gets them from Kedco directly, I think they source their pellets abroad.

Kedco have recently started to sell Wood Pellets on their website, the registration process and purchasing seems very straightforward.

It will help you compare pricing if nothing else i suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭pencil

thecivvie wrote: »
    prissylee, I installed the back boiler stove and it is excellent. Runs away in my front room and heats the house, I have stanley stove which does the hot water. I recommend the Kedco and the local agent who is excellent

thecivvie,

I'm looking to replace the fireplace with a boiler stove, I have some questions if you have the time it would be great!:
    1. What boiler stove did you go with? Where did you get it?
    2. How many radiators does it heat? Does is heat them well?
    3. Roughly how much fuel does it need on a winters day to heat the house? If you can 'guesstimate' how your stoves' size would work in a semi-d, please do.
    4. Do you have a gravity fed or pressurised system?
    5. If you have Oil heating, can you use one or the other? How does the system prevent over heating if both sources are on at the same time?
    6. Again if you have oil as well, where do the two systems connect? (near the oil boiler or hot press)
    7. If you can recommend a plumber please do by PM if you wish

As you can see I have a lot of questions :)

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 TopMan

I've seen the new Gerkros 15kw outdoor model last week and it's tiny. It's being used up in northern ireland in council houses. The whole thing is smaller than a oil tank base and has it's own built in hopper. I'm considering putting in one shortly and will change my grant form from their 20kw. It's appears good value at just over €4,700 (incl. Vat)

Advertisement