Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st time claiming Unemployment Benefit

Options
  • 07-12-2006 3:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi,

I want to claim Unemployment benefit, can I?

I gave my job in July cuz I hated it. I live with my wife who has a job and we have been surviving off her wage and savings for the past few months. I havn't seen any new jobs that interest me yet.

Am I entitled to claim?

If so what do I need to do? WHen I go to sign on what sort of things will I be asked etc and will I have to prove that I have been looking for another job etc etc.

Any heads up would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Ogie16

Peter C. wrote:
    Hi,

I gave my job in July cuz I hated it. I live with my wife who has a job and we have been surviving off her wage and savings for the past few months. I havn't seen any new jobs that interest me yet.

Am I entitled to claim?

If so what do I need to do? WHen I go to sign on what sort of things will I be asked etc and will I have to prove that I have been looking for another job etc etc.

Yes of course you can claim. They'll probably look for a p45 from your last job. And ya proof that your looking for another job. Plus a form of ID like drivers license. Maybe another couple of things, cant remember. Go along anyway straight away cause in some cases it can be backdated. if you signed up this week your claim mite not be ready for couple weeks but it will be backdated and paid from the time you first visited the office

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Filan

Yes, provide p45, passport/drivers licence, a household bill with your name, bank details and yes names of a few places you have applied to. They will also send you to talk to Fas. I left my job 3 weeks ago as it had seriously affectedd my mental health. Alan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 shane55

Peter C. wrote:
    Hi,

Am I entitled to claim?

The first thing they will ask is why did you leave. I think it can be problematic if you say you just left because you didnt like it. you might be safer to quote some specifics were effecting your health or other wise eg had to work in a drafty office which was making me sick, or had to work out in the rain without being supplied proper clothing.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Peter C.

OK thanks for all that.

One issue is that I haven't actually applied for any jobs since I left so I have nothing that I can bring in or show them in terms of applications or rejections. I didn't see any jobs that I wanted to apply for. My last job did cause me a considerable amount of stress. It was not a nice atmosphere and a very heavy work load. I was getting headaches etc. That's why I hated it and left.

Am I better off saying that I was worn out after my last job and that I needed time to recover and that I only now feel capable of seeking full tiime employent again?. Ultimatley that is the truth and I perfer to stick to the truth where at all possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

http://oasis.gov.ie/employment/losing_your_job/unemployment_benefit.html
    o qualify for Unemployment Benefit you must:

* Be unemployed,
    * Be aged under 66,
    * Be capable of work,
    * Be available for/genuinely seeking seek work,
    * Have sufficient PRSI contributions and
    * Have sustained a loss of employment in any period of six consecutive days.

Contribution conditions

In order to qualify for Unemployment Benefit, you must pay Class A, H or P PRSI contributions. Class A is the one paid by most private sector employees. Class H is paid by soldiers, reservists and temporary army nurses, who do not qualify for Unemployment Benefit until they have left the army.

* you must have 52 weeks PRSI paid since starting work and
    * you must have 39 weeks PRSI paid or credited in the Relevant Tax Year or
    * you must have 26 weeks PRSI paid in the Relevant Tax Year and
    * you must have 26 weeks PRSI paid in the Tax Year prior to the Relevant Tax Year

The Relevant Tax Year for a claim is the second last complete tax year before the start of the Benefit Year, e.g., if you are making a claim in 2006, the Relevant Tax Year is 2004.

How to apply

You should register as unemployed ("sign-on") with the Department of Social and Family Affairs. When registering, you should have with you your P45 form. (This form is the form your employer gives you when you finish work and shows your current year's PRSI contributions, earnings, etc.). You should also have your P60 forms for the recent years. (The P60 form is the end of year statement in which your employer sets out your tax and PRSI paid).

If you do not have these documents to hand, you should register anyway and supply them later. You should remember that delay in applying for Unemployment Benefit may mean that you lose out on your full entitlements.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 shane55

I dont think they will ask about your job seeking efforts when you sign on initially, they start hassling you about that after a month or two. I left a security job before and I told them that sitting in a hut all night looking out at the dark was effecting my mental health, they didnt question that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

If you left a job voluntarily and without just cause you may be disallowed for up to 9 weeks. Keep all records of jobs applied for as you will be given a UP19(A) and UP19, genuinely seeking work form. Be honest about your situation.

Advertisement