Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tornado hits London

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Jaysus - flying slates!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭mickith

feck that. scary stuff alrite and it couldnt have happened at a worse time

whats that film where the weather goes all crazy, day after tomorrow i think
    its on its way:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

was waiting for something like this i had a feeling it would happen what with the tornado warning we had here last Sunday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

Repent for your sins! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

mickith wrote:

What do you mean? Was there a better time for it to happen?

Scary stuff. I wish we had a basement at home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

just looking at sky news now, it looks like a scene from that film hope & glory

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

mickith wrote:

I only watched that last night. Time to start rooting out the winter woolies i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭mickith

What do you mean? Was there a better time for it to happen?

just before christmas. there will be a few people without homes for christmas
    that would be absolutely crap:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Moved to Weather, xzanti, lets not starve other forums of some traffic. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

mickith wrote:
    just before christmas. there will be a few people without homes for christmas
    that would be absolutely crap:(

I wasn't even thinking of Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

That's pretty f*cking mad... And there was only a tornado warning here a few days ago!

Global warming, tut tut! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Tis a wonder how no more than 6 were injured, especially with all those slates and debris flying around....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭blooeyes

That tornado hit just round corner from my brother and sisters house, just missed them!!! When brother got home he thought bomb had gone of in area, and wen he got to house their dog was so scared, mustve been loud!!!! thank god there ok tho, but lots of people without homes tonight. Scary stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭sunset

User45701 wrote:
    was waiting for something like this i had a feeling it would happen what with the tornado warning we had here last Sunday

Where was the tornado warning? Who issued it? Was it really for Ireland? The other thread relting to tornado starts with a statement that implies a warning was given for Ireland, but there's no reference to anything. I think there is confusion with a warninig that was given for parts of England.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

The references were in another thread. here they are again
    http://estofex.org/cgi-bin/polygon/showforecast.cgi?text=yes&fcstfile=2006120406_200612030000_2_stormforecast.xml
    and
    TORRO CONVECTIVE DISCUSSION 2006/026 & TORRO TORNADO WATCH 2006/029

A TORRO CONVECTIVE DISCUSSION has been issued at 2020 GMT on Saturday 2nd December 2006
    Valid from/until: 2020 - 1200 GMT on Saturday/Sunday 2nd/3rd December 2006 for the following regions of the United Kingdom & Eire:
    All parts of the British Isles
    In addition, a TORRO TORNADO WATCH has been issued at 2020GMT on Saturday 2nd December 2006 the following regions of the United Kingdom & Eire:
    Southern Eire
    Central and southern England
    Wales
    Channel Is
    SYNOPSIS

Potent Atlantic system approaching the British Isles. Cold front/occlusion will sweep east/north-east across the BI overnight. Deep layer shear is of the order of 100 knots in places, with 0-1km shear of over 40 knots. An area of drier mid-level is expected to overrun and destabilize the front across the TORNADO WATCH area. Following on from the cold front, in the region of the upper trough, CAPEs of 1-200 J/Kg are expected around western coasts tomorrow morning, before mid-level warming ahead of the wrap around occlusion limits the CAPE..

THREATS

DISCUSSION AREA:
    All parts of the British Isles are at risk from gusts over 60 mph overnight tonight, as the cold front moves through. This may locally be enhanced by line convection, and if this occurs, there is also the risk of hail and isolated tornadoes, as well as occasional cloud-ground lightning. Following on from the front, heavy showers/thunderstorms around western coasts tomorrow morning may bring isolated gusts to 60 mph.
    TORNADO WATCH AREA:
    Whilst highlighting enhanced zones of risk from convective storms is very tricky in this situation, there are signs that the areas included in the TORNADO WATCH are at higher risk than elsewhere. Mesoscale models develop line convection along the cold front across this region, especially across S Eire, SW England and Wales, with a notable pressure “jump” in the isobars.
    If this were to occur, tornadoes to T4-5, hail to 20mm diameter, wind gusts 60-80mph, and occasional cloud-ground lightning would be possible.
    If intense line convection develops, there is a small risk of an outbreak of tornadoes.
    get-attachment.asp?action=view&attachmentid=9883
    Forecaster: RPK.

******PLEASE REPORT SEVERE WEATHER TO TORRO HERE********

Any unauthorised use, copying, modification or distribution of the material, or any attempt to alter or misuse content without prior consent is expressly forbidden. TORRO will not accept liability for any personal injury, damage to property or any other eventuality that may result in connection with the issuing of such forecasts. The user assumes the entire risk for usage of this data. TORRO is under no obligation to produce, issue and update these forecasts.
    Further information is available at
    http://www.torro.org.uk/TORRO/forecasts/forecasts.php

© Copyright TORRO 2006

TORNADO AND STORM RESEARCH ORGANISATION (TORRO)

Trogdor,If I remember correctly sunset is a member of Torro and is based as a lecturer at UCC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Plissken1

User45701 wrote:

Where was the Tornado Warning for last Sunday ?

Because I was over the west of Ireland for the weekend, and we had a very strange experience on Sunday morning, where for about 2 mins you couldnt even get out the front door of the house the wind was so strong, the sky turned green n black and there was forked lightning. Just minutes later the sun was out, the one time I forgot my camcorder too :mad:

Advertisement