Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xmas shopping in Dundalk

Options
  • 07-12-2006 1:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

Was driving through town this evening around 6 ish and it was noticeable how dead the town centre was, you could have played football on Clanbrassil St, all shops were closed for business. I arrived in Newry around 30mins later and the whole area around the Buttercrane and the Quays was buzzing, took me about ten mins to get parked in the Quays. Both places are open until 10pm from now until Xmas. There was Carole singing in the centre and a real Xmas buzz about the place, most stores seemed to be doing serious business. This is not unlike the Farmers Market situation were we have 4 markets scattered all over town, no planning whatsoever. And the towns Chamber of Commerce and traders wonder why there is a shopping exsodus out of Dundalk.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

I was in Newry myself today from 11:30 - 4 and the place was packed, had to take a short cut into the city as the traffic was nearly up to the roadabout :eek: (this at 11:30am). Wasn't many people in the town when i got back, most of them were in the Marshes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭sudzs

Off to Newry myself any day now!

Have done a treck around Dundalk but it hardly put a dent in my shopping list.

Takes too long to get to Dublin so it's Newry for me!!! Sure 'tis full of Christmas Spirit(s)!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Padna

Comparing Clanbrassil St with the Quays / Buttercrane is not really valid. You should compare Clanbrassil St with Hill St or the Marshes with the Quays / Buttercrane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Dundalk Daily

Padna I will compare The Dundalk ShoppingCentre/Longwalk/Marshes/Dundalk Retail Pk all together and anything else thrown in and they still wouldnt compare with the buzz in the Quays alone.

Check it out yourself if you havent already and Im sure you will agree. By the way I dont take any great pleasure going out of town to do my Xmas shopping. The only shop in town I would take any pleasure going into and it may sound ridiculous is Hughes and Hughes and Im not connected in any way. The customer service, staff, stock and the coffee are not something you find all together in a Dundalk store.

Advertisement