Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hard To Decide

Options
  • 07-12-2006 12:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Im going to be importing a car from japan in the new year

but my trouble is deciding what to import im looking at 3

options at the moment a levin, 180sx non turbo or a celica

ss-iii.my insurance restricts me to non turbo cars any

advice or info or other cars is much apriciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Tanabe

How old are you? What are your driving experience/details?

Perhaps the Levin would be a good one to start off with. Who are you buying the car from in Japan or importing with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭bo-bo

id opt for either the levin or the celica, a non turbo 180sx wouldnt be as desireable as the much more common (in ireland) turbo version and therefore harder to sell on. nothing against the non turbo 180sx, but your paying the same tax for less bhp (insurance issues acknowledged). levins are great little cars and have good resale value to boot - easy and cheap to get parts for aswell. make sure its got a 20 valve engine though

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Aren't Levins hugely overrated and hard to insured compared to how fast they can actually go?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

colm_mcm wrote:
    Aren't Levins hugely overrated and hard to insured compared to how fast they can actually go?

Yes and No

There good solid cars but the 95ron seems to kill them.In japan they make there quoted figures but anyone ive seen on a rolling road here has gotten around 145-155bhp even modified ie ind/manifold/exhaust

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

eireal wrote:
    Yes and No

There good solid cars but the 95ron seems to kill them.In japan they make there quoted figures but anyone ive seen on a rolling road here has gotten around 145-155bhp even modified ie ind/manifold/exhaust

Nothing wrong with those figures. Probably makes it easier for a beginner to control. I bet they're still a lot of fun to drive as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

They are fun, one of the lads had one before. It did have quite alot of mods to the engine though. It hit 215~bhp " extreme auto's last summer.

Id reccomend a 1.6 sohc vtec civic though. nice and cheap to insure. And plenty of parts for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭touge_drift

id go for the levin....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Get a nice Sir Ek4 civic, it`ll be more powerfull than a levin and has ultra honda reliability and reasonable economy aswell considering you`ll have 165bhp at your disposal. Theres loads of mods and stuff for them aswell, can get it up to 180bhp fairly easily. Im importing 1 myself in the next few weeks, ill let you know how i get on. All ill be doing to mine is adding Recaro Ctr/Itr seats, Ctr steering wheel and transferring the 3 pillar gauges i already have in my civic coupe and my Rota lightweight alloys. Ill leave the engine standard and maybe add a performance exhaust but ill see what mood im in at the time.

Advertisement