Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

goofs

Options
  • 06-12-2006 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

:D A weird habit i have come to enjoy recently is going on www.imdb.com-Looking up movies i have seen and going over the trivia and goofs-You wouldnt believe some of the mistakes in the films you wouldnt spot unless you were told!!

What are your weird habits that you enjoy?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I like Jackie Chan outtakes when they show them at the end of some of his films. Bloopers that politicians and celebrities make are fun to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

fantastic site. a brilliant resource for anyone interested in tv and/or movies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I hate knowing about goofs, unless its for a film I hate :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭pepper

I hate knowing about goofs, unless its for a film I hate :)

well not just for movies- u can get goofs on your fave tv programmes too-Im having so much fun now finding sex and the city goofs!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

IMDB is primarily designed to see an actors filmography, or the cast and crew of a film/ tv show.

If you're interested in the mistakes and trivia, www.moviemistakes.com is the place to go.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

This reminds me, I was listening to the commentary track for the extended Gladiator dvd recently and Crowe kept interrupting Ridley Scott to point out goofs in the background. Scott wasn't too happy :D Ridley would talking about how great something looked and Crowe would blast in with "oh look there's a chap with jeans on hahaha"

lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I like to open photos in ms paint and put mustaches and/or eyepatches on everyone.

Crucifix wrote:
    I like to open photos in ms paint and put mustaches and/or eyepatches on everyone.
    ha ha ha

classic:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

Crucifix wrote:
    Some people call it 'Custom-pirate syndrome' i call it 'The Big Boss effect'.

Love scrolling through trivia... supplementing my store of useless knowledge takes up a lot of my day.

Anyone play IMDB races?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

I only like knowing it for comedys. You can't help but notice them once you know about them and if I'm watching a serious film it takes away from it. My favorite is in Airplane! when he's thrown off the dancefloor, if you look in the crowd you can see him readying himself to jump back in(the stunt double was thrown out)

• Advertisement

just found these gems...

When Homer is accused of sexual harassment, a show called "Rock Bottom" does an exposé on him that falsely portrays him as guilty. They later quickly scroll a list of apologies down the screen. Here they are:
    1. "Peoples' Choice Award" is America's greatest honor.
    2. Styrofoam is not made from kittens.
    3. The U.F.O. was a paper plate.
    4. The nerds on the internet are not geeks.
    5. The word "cheese" is not funny in and of itself.
    6. The older Flanders boy is Todd, not Rod.
    7. Lyndon Johnson did not provide the voice of Yosemite Sam.
    8. If you are reading this you have no life.
    9. Roy Rogers was not buried inside his horse.
    10. The other U.F.O. was an upside-down salad spinner.
    11. Our universities are not "hotbeds" of anything.
    12. Mr. Dershowitz did not literally have four eyes.
    13. Our viewers are not pathetic, sexless food tubes.
    14. Audrey Hepburn never weighed 400 pounds.
    15. The "Cheers" (1982) gang is not a real gang.
    16. Salt water does not "chase the thirsties away".
    17. Licking an electrical outlet will not turn you into a Mighty Morphin Power Ranger.
    18. Cats do not eventually turn into dogs.
    19. Bullets do not bounce off of fat guys.
    20. Recycling does not deplete the ozone.
    21. Everything is 10% fruit juice.
    22. The flesh-eating virus does not hide in ice cream.
    23. Janet Reno is evil.
    24. V8 juice is not 1/8 gasoline.
    25. Ted Koppel is a robot.
    26. Women aren't from Venus, and men aren't from Mars.
    27. Fleiss does floss.
    28. Quayle is familiar with common bathroom procedure.
    29. Bart is bad to the bone.
    30. Godfry Jones' wife is cheating on him. (note: Jones was the host of "Rock Bottom")
    31. The Beatles haven't reunited to enter kick boxing contests.
    32. The "Bug" on your TV screen can see into your home.
    33. Everyone on TV is better than you.
    34. The people who are writing this have no life.

and...

The website that homer created with false 'dirt' on many of the citizens can be accessed as www.mrxswebpage.com

pepper wrote:
    just found these gems...

When Homer is accused of sexual harassment, a show called "Rock Bottom" does an exposé on him that falsely portrays him as guilty. They later quickly scroll a list of apologies down the screen. Here they are:
    1. "Peoples' Choice Award" is America's greatest honor.
    2. Styrofoam is not made from kittens.
    3. The U.F.O. was a paper plate.
    4. The nerds on the internet are not geeks.
    5. The word "cheese" is not funny in and of itself.
    6. The older Flanders boy is Todd, not Rod.
    7. Lyndon Johnson did not provide the voice of Yosemite Sam.
    8. If you are reading this you have no life.
    9. Roy Rogers was not buried inside his horse.
    10. The other U.F.O. was an upside-down salad spinner.
    11. Our universities are not "hotbeds" of anything.
    12. Mr. Dershowitz did not literally have four eyes.
    13. Our viewers are not pathetic, sexless food tubes.
    14. Audrey Hepburn never weighed 400 pounds.
    15. The "Cheers" (1982) gang is not a real gang.
    16. Salt water does not "chase the thirsties away".
    17. Licking an electrical outlet will not turn you into a Mighty Morphin Power Ranger.
    18. Cats do not eventually turn into dogs.
    19. Bullets do not bounce off of fat guys.
    20. Recycling does not deplete the ozone.
    21. Everything is 10% fruit juice.
    22. The flesh-eating virus does not hide in ice cream.
    23. Janet Reno is evil.
    24. V8 juice is not 1/8 gasoline.
    25. Ted Koppel is a robot.
    26. Women aren't from Venus, and men aren't from Mars.
    27. Fleiss does floss.
    28. Quayle is familiar with common bathroom procedure.
    29. Bart is bad to the bone.
    30. Godfry Jones' wife is cheating on him. (note: Jones was the host of "Rock Bottom")
    31. The Beatles haven't reunited to enter kick boxing contests.
    32. The "Bug" on your TV screen can see into your home.
    33. Everyone on TV is better than you.
    34. The people who are writing this have no life.

and...

The website that homer created with false 'dirt' on many of the citizens can be accessed as www.mrxswebpage.com
    from my own list of useless information, the emboldened line is the one homer reads out loud from the screen.
    also, back in the day, i recorded that episode on video* to see what was on the list.

* for the kids here, video is what we used before sky+ and dvd recorders and before the internet was widely available.

julep wrote:
    Our viewers are not pathetic, sexless food tubes.

i beg to differ lol

i'm gonna come back to this thread on saturday and remove the sexless part from that. hopefully.

julep wrote:
    i'm gonna come back to this thread on saturday and remove the sexless part from that. hopefully.
    now thats just boasting me thinks:D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

This reminds me, I was listening to the commentary track for the extended Gladiator dvd recently and Crowe kept interrupting Ridley Scott to point out goofs in the background. Scott wasn't too happy :D Ridley would talking about how great something looked and Crowe would blast in with "oh look there's a chap with jeans on hahaha"

lol.
    lol, I have that at home I must check it out for mistakes!
    Trying to think of any weird habits I have...always reading the deaths in the papaer in case there's anyone I know...I picked that one up from my mother, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

pepper wrote:
    :D A weird habit i have come to enjoy recently is going on www.imdb.com-Looking up movies i have seen and going over the trivia and goofs-You wouldnt believe some of the mistakes in the films you wouldnt spot unless you were told!!

What are your weird habits that you enjoy?

Strange, I actually do the exact same thing. Not so much the Goofs but always the Trivia. Its like an addiction. Some days I just sit around thinking of movies/Tv shows I haven't looked up for trivia yet :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

julep wrote:

nah leave it my ma canceled

danniemcq wrote:
    nah leave it my ma canceled

ROFL:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

julep wrote:
    also, back in the day, i recorded that episode on video* to see what was on the list.

Oh my God, thank you! At least now I don't feel like such a freak!

It's been a shameful secret of mine all these years that I've never been able to "come out of the closet" about for fear of ridicule that I was the only person that actually did that. But now, safe in the knowledge that I'm not alone, I can actually come out and confess.....

..... yes, I did record that episode years ago when it first aired and, yes, I did go through that list frame by frame to read it.

Wow, it's such a relief to get that off my chest and out in the open finally after all these years! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

As for goofs in films, I also like when they show them at the end of films like, as was previously mentioned, in Jackie Chan films and years ago in the likes of the 'Smokey & The Bandit' and 'Cannonball Run' films. In fact, would I be right in thinking that it was probably those Burt Reynolds comedy films from the '70's and early '80's that started that whole trend? It probably also explains why Jackie Chan has them in so many of his films as well, seeing as how he starred in 'Cannonball Run II', I think it was. He probably got the idea from that and decided to then incorporate it into his films from then on.

Also, I thought it was cool how they did it as a kind of homage, I guess, at the end of the episode of 'My Name Is Earl' about Randy wanting to go to the county fair to see the Bandit's car.

Sometimes when I read about various goofs on IMDB or elsewhere, I now often find myself deliberately looking out for them in films or TV shows when I rewatch them. Of course, with the advent of DVD, it's also so much easier to go looking for goofs as well now. :D

Advertisement