Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone keep pet rats

Options
  • 06-12-2006 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭

I have had pet hamsters, gerbils and mice in the past and recently my kids got some pet mice and are getting great fun from them. I saw some rats in a pet shop and fancy getting a pair of females to keep myself as pets - the mice are a bit docile for my liking and I'd be happy to let the rat out and about a bit more.

Anyone here keep rats, are they prone to biting and once hand tame are they inclined to come when called? Any of the gerbils I had were given the run of the house and when it was time to put them in for the night, I just called them and put my hand down, up they hopped and no problems. I don't want to be rooting under the fridge with a sweeping brush at two in the morning...

What other things should I be aware of? I've had a good read of this but I'd like to hear some first hand experiences.

Thanks,

'cptr

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

I kept several pairs of rats (female) throughout my childhood and I loved them. They can be very lively and affectionate (one of my girls would happily sit on my shoulder for ages while I walked around the house). Whether or not they would come to you when called, I couldn't guarantee. Some of mine did quite easily after their exercise run, while others would have to be tempted out of hiding places with food.

They could be a little 'bitey' when first brought home but once they got used to being handled they were fine. Only one was overly aggressive in the beginning - it turned out she was pregnant when we bought her. We kept all 3 babies and they were adorable. They became very affectionate as they were used to us from such a young age. Overall, I'd highly recommend rats as pets!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Thanks Kolodny, thats pretty much what I had thought. If anyone knows of a rat breeder I could contact, let me know.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Colli_Flower86

recently my kids got some pet mice

Hi ya, I've been searching for some female pet mice for almost 2 months now, and I was wondering where you got some for your kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Hi ya, I've been searching for some female pet mice for almost 2 months now, and I was wondering where you got some for your kids?

Pet Haven in Tuam 093-27843 have them from time to time. Good luck with your quest.

(Sorry, I couldn't help replying a year later to a year-old reply to my original thread. Please ignore me...)

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Duzzie

I keep and breed rats at the mo. They make great pets once you get past the fact that they are rats. The make much better pets than mice, hamsters or gerbles. The are very friendly and very integent. They are also far mor interactive than the others. They are proliffic breeders so should not be kept in mixed sex groups. They are also very social creatures so should not be kept alone. They are best kept is same sex groups of 2 or 3 animals. If you have any specific queries, just drop me a PM or if you think it might be of interest to others, just ask here

Duzzie

• Advertisement
Advertisement