Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australia's parliament lifts ban on therapeutic cloning

Options
  • 06-12-2006 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭

http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/?jp=CWIDIDKFOJEY

Well i know this is AH but i honestly have no idea where to post this, it would not relay go in politics because to allot of people its also a religious issue. it could also go in debate, humanities, philosophy, biology/medicine.

I wanted to post here and include a poll to get a honest and real response with %`s of what people relay think of cloning. Also since there is 6 different forums where this topic would suit AH is the choice i think. Its more general and it will give me more of a response because i am relay curious to see what the general consensus is on cloning and embryos.

MOD`s please feel free to move if you don't want it in AH

Your View On Cloning Is...... 27 votes

I Support It Competly
    0%
    I Support Animal Cloning But Not Human Cloning
    74%
    astrofoolsuper_furryBeruthielRabiesSpossmonkeyfudgethelordofcheeseJC 2K3Ciaran500humanjiTerryTomCoBinomateSam VimeshumbertDraganchapod21AgamemnonfalipoMarksie 20 votes
    I Dont Support Any Cloning Because Its Just Wrong
    14%
    passive[Deleted User]Feral Mutantfree2fly 4 votes
    I Dont Support Any Cloning Because Of Religious Reasons
    11%
    NevynbikoGeek Nose 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I Dont Support Any Cloning Because Of Religious Reasons
    Pointless Threads and Polls
    If you create a thread in which you ask people to contribute in, contribute first.
    What's your own opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I'm all for it as long as it is for medical advancements and better health for those in the (near) future.

What ever happens they can learn from us, even if it does become a mistake.

Gets my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Competly?

Well, not completly. There wasn't a mostly yes option. So went with completly.

Don't agree with the possible cloning of a person for the fun of it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

I dont know if I could agree with the idea of cloning a person, it could all end up like that movie "The Island" with Ewan Mc Gregor... That movie was terrible!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I'm all for cloning. I say bring it on. It can help a massive amount of people, help deal with disease etc. Imagine an endless supply of hearts, lungs etc for those who needed them? I imagine some kind of International Code of Conduct would need to be thought of should we ever develop some decent clonging technology but I say let it happen.

For all you religious folks who might be against it, could I just ask why? Surely a man made clone of another man does not contain a soul etc so why do you guys care? If cloning results in the creation of a new life then cool I understand why you would be against it, but if cloning just resulted in a lifeless, brainless, thoughless soulless slab of meat then whats the issue?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

If it helps me live another 100 years I'm all for it.
    (I draw the line at The Island type scenario though)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

biko wrote:
    What's your own opinion?

I Had every intention of posting my own opinion. I just posted the topic this morning and didn't have time to add my own views because it was time to get to work
    I believe that cloning is the way to solve many many problems.

One of them being hunger, the ability to mass clone animals would solve food shortage problems in the 3rd world. I have no problem with human cloning but i think there needs to be more research into the mental effects if any cloning would have. If i was cloned how similar would my clone be to be in intellect and in knowledge.

I smoked quite allot when i was younger so i have less lung capacity and less memory, would a clone have the same defects or would it be a clean slate?

I wonder will we ever be able to create a clone and then do some sort of brain transplant as a way of expansing the human lifespan. This is a massive concern for me although i would love to be able to live forever i fear what would happen to our species as a whole if this where possible, There would be a massive drop in population i think, although most think there would be a increase with people not dying i believe this is wrong.

Currently from what i gather form movies and TV and talking to people it seems that allot of women become worried about having kids in and around there 30`s. With the option to live forever its more likely a happy couple will see no pressure to start a family and will probably decide to enjoy the "First Life" because once they reach about 40/50 or whenever they could then be transfered into clone bodies aged around 20 and then decide to have kids...

I know thats a long shot i honestly think that this will be the result if the human lifespan is increased dramatically thought cloning or any other method. That would be one of my fears about cloning the sexual urge of man will always be there but people will be more concerned with there own enjoyment wealth and fun if there is no time constraints on children/family.

I also have no problem with stemcell or embryo research and i HATE (sry for such large letters but i relay mean i HATE) people who object to stemcell research on religious grounds.

I was in town and there was a group of people opposed to it and they had photos of baby's saying stem cell research is killing baby's or something to that effect and i lost it, i mean are those people thick or something? do they not know and what an early stage stem cells are extracted?
    Here these morons are going around with pictures of developed baby's!
    Also i HATE people opposed to orbition just as much because where it is legal there are laws saying that it can not be done after a certain amount of fetal development, That research relay helps people and because of people who cling to archaic religious beliefs the research is hampered, it should like all research be properly supervised but anything that does not cause pain or suffering should not be illegal. I know that there is concern that the fetus can feel pain but i thought they had proven that if they do it early enough there is not enough development in the pain receptors or maybe it was not enough neural development either way it was my understanding that they are almost 100% certain that the fetus is not developed enough to feel pain. I know i have gone way off topic here and its my own thread and all sorry about that.

But basically i think that both cloning and stem cell research should be completely legal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I'm not very well informed on stem cell research, it's not exactly a simple topic, but based on what I've read I'm in favour of it. There seem to be significant medical possibilities. Cloning people in order to create duplicates of living people I'm not for at all but it's not really an issue.

Being against it on religious grounds I despise tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Rabies wrote:
    Well, not completly. There wasn't a mostly yes option. So went with completly.

Don't agree with the possible cloning of a person for the fun of it :D

Actually, I was just pointing out the spelling mistake in the poll. I'm a git like that! :D

• Advertisement

humanji wrote:
    Actually, I was just pointing out the spelling mistake in the poll. I'm a git like that! :D

Ye you see ive always had bad spelling but with firefox 2.0 it underlines everything that is not spelt the American way BUT with firefox the spell check does not work in the Thread title or the polls just the main txt body

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

User45701 wrote:
    I Had every intention of posting my own opinion. I just posted the topic this morning and didn't have time to add my own views because it was time to get to work
    I believe that cloning is the way to solve many many problems.

One of them being hunger, the ability to mass clone animals would solve food shortage problems in the 3rd world. I have no problem with human cloning but i think there needs to be more research into the mental effects if any cloning would have. If i was cloned how similar would my clone be to be in intellect and in knowledge.

I smoked quite allot when i was younger so i have less lung capacity and less memory, would a clone have the same defects or would it be a clean slate?

I wonder will we ever be able to create a clone and then do some sort of brain transplant as a way of expansing the human lifespan. This is a massive concern for me although i would love to be able to live forever i fear what would happen to our species as a whole if this where possible, There would be a massive drop in population i think, although most think there would be a increase with people not dying i believe this is wrong.

Currently from what i gather form movies and TV and talking to people it seems that allot of women become worried about having kids in and around there 30`s. With the option to live forever its more likely a happy couple will see no pressure to start a family and will probably decide to enjoy the "First Life" because once they reach about 40/50 or whenever they could then be transfered into clone bodies aged around 20 and then decide to have kids...

I know thats a long shot i honestly think that this will be the result if the human lifespan is increased dramatically thought cloning or any other method. That would be one of my fears about cloning the sexual urge of man will always be there but people will be more concerned with there own enjoyment wealth and fun if there is no time constraints on children/family.

I also have no problem with stemcell or embryo research and i HATE (sry for such large letters but i relay mean i HATE) people who object to stemcell research on religious grounds.

I was in town and there was a group of people opposed to it and they had photos of baby's saying stem cell research is killing baby's or something to that effect and i lost it, i mean are those people thick or something? do they not know and what an early stage stem cells are extracted?
    Here these morons are going around with pictures of developed baby's!
    Also i HATE people opposed to orbition just as much because where it is legal there are laws saying that it can not be done after a certain amount of fetal development, That research relay helps people and because of people who cling to archaic religious beliefs the research is hampered, it should like all research be properly supervised but anything that does not cause pain or suffering should not be illegal. I know that there is concern that the fetus can feel pain but i thought they had proven that if they do it early enough there is not enough development in the pain receptors or maybe it was not enough neural development either way it was my understanding that they are almost 100% certain that the fetus is not developed enough to feel pain. I know i have gone way off topic here and its my own thread and all sorry about that.

But basically i think that both cloning and stem cell research should be completely legal
    I'm totally against it bacause i fear a Khan Noonien Singh type scenario.

(not really. bring it on. I'll need a new liver in a few years and larry hagman took all the good ones.)

It would bring a whole new meaning to the whole concept of the earldly being wise beyond there years.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

Actually they are talking about therapeutic cloning and the embryos are being used for stem cell work. It is not cloning per se.

This is a simple dictionary definition of a stem cell:

An unspecialized cell that gives rise to a specific specialized cell, such as a blood cell.

So basically when cells are locked into their specialsied mode..be it heart muscle, nerve tissue whatever it then does the job it was programmed to do.

A stem cell is unprogrammed so has thye potential to become ANY type of cell.
    i have seen visual evidence of it being injected into heart muscle which has been severely damaged due to a heart attack and the muscle has regenerated, and there is evidence that it can be used to treat damaged brain cells after a stroke. They have massive potential.

As for the cloning aspect.. i believe this is what is going to involve the creation of a "cell line" where the cells are kept growing for generation after generation in this undifferentaited state. NOT growing humans or animals for organ harvesting!!!

There are human cell lines out there and have been for decades. these are what is known as immortalised (i.e programmed cell death is swtiched off..) and they can be replenished by putting into new nutrients a process known as passaging)..One such is HeLa (acanceraous cell taked from an individial called Henreitta lacks (hela), though she is long dead, her cells remain and provide useful scientific and medical information using tissue culture techniques.)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HeLa

The point is i think that tyheb stem cells will be usewd in the same way.
    Ok any other scientist can disupte me now as i AM very rusty on this :).
    But here is a link on stemcells detailing a lot of what you may want asnwered
    http://stemcells.nih.gov/

Oh and yes.. i am all for them, it woulod be nice to see me da making a better recovery fromj his stroke.

Sorry going to add that the whole post is skewed because the way stem cell research is portayed

it is NOT CLONING. in the accepted sense of dolly the sheep.

Hope this and my previous post help clear things up and may want to make people change their mind in the poll..which needs to be redefined anyway as cloning and stem cell research are different

im sorry but maybe i did mess it up, the poll is in relation to cloning and the topic is for General stemcell and cloning disussion maybe i should have seperated them into two seperate threads

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I dont know if I could agree with the idea of cloning a person, it could all end up like that movie "The Island" with Ewan Mc Gregor... That movie was terrible!
    I don't think it would be too bad to have a few more copies of Scarlet running about the place though giving out Ben & Jerry ice cream to kids.

User45701 wrote:
    im sorry but maybe i did mess it up, the poll is in relation to cloning and the topic is for General stemcell and cloning disussion maybe i should have seperated them into two seperate threads

No..if you look at how its reported... its bound to be confusing. Just the general way the whole thing is handled in the public sphere.
    Mind you.. next time a holier -than- thou starts off..you can put em right LOL.

Beruthiel wrote:
    If it helps me live another 100 years I'm all for it.
    Oh dear God :eek:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

formaldehyde ;)

• Advertisement

Beruthiel wrote:
    formaldehyde ;)

i think vodka makes a good substitute :p

Advertisement