Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car vandals

Options
  • 06-12-2006 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Just wondering if anyone has any solutions to this problem. My friend and I are living in an alright area but last Saturday morning we found the wing mirrors had been kicked off our cars outside the house. We put it down to some drunk on their way home. Saturday evening at 7pm my other mirror got kicked off. There's a lane beside the house and they're obviously getting away through there. This morning I left the house to see our visitors were back again last night and done both cars again. We've had the gaurds up to the house twice but all they can do is take notes of what happened. We're only in the house a couple of months and dont even know anyone in the area. There's no reason why anyone around would take a disliking to us so it's a bit scary that they seem to be picking on us. No other cars get done - even cars parked closer to the lane.

I guess I'm looking for any kind of advice on the matter.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭b0bbie

You are not in Rathmines by any chance? You can see the numerous other threads relating to the wing mirrors kicked off there, its a huge problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Elphaba

No we're in Kildare. I hadnt seen any other posts but I'll check them out, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Can you set up some CCTV? At least if it happens again you might get some images. Parking near a light might help you get better images but it won't deter them.

We're only in the house for a few months, so we're reluctant to splash out on anything comin up to Xmas and all. I was thinkin about CCTV this morning tho. Wonder how expensive it would be......

I'll see if I can leave it under a light this evening. They dont give a crap tho, 7 o clock on Saturday evening they did mine, like they're not waiting till the middle of the night when there's no one around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Well i would suggest taking it into your own hands anyway they are more than likely young enough also if there older is possible they would be drunk giving you the advantage.

Also someone in Germany took this into there own hands once....
    He owned a merc and he had problems with people stealing the merc symbol thing so he sharpened it allot and then one morning found his car and the road covered in blood and he was arrested. As far as i remember the mention of it in the news reduced the theft of the merc symbols quite allot. sry to go off topic like that just a story i remembered reading

Anyway if it has happened 3 or more times don't the gardai HAVE to do something? like have a unmarked car there for the night or something.

There was a gardai unmarked car outside my house at night before because of vehicle theft in the area and it was there all night long when i woke up and left at 4am to go to work they seemed to suspect me for a min i think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭b0bbie

well I've had the same issue now for a while, I got on to my local councillors who talked to the guards and nothing happened. Now the councillor is going in look at cctv installation. Might be worth a shot for you seeing as the elections are coming up....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

b0bbie wrote:
    well I've had the same issue now for a while, I got on to my local councillors who talked to the guards and nothing happened. Now the councillor is going in look at cctv installation. Might be worth a shot for you seeing as the elections are coming up....

That was going to be my next suggestion, talk to your local councillors, not just one of them, all of them. Write letters, email, phone, visit their surgeries (why they call them surgeries, I'll never know :rolleyes:). Someone will take the case on boards, highlight the cost of replacing the mirrors each time and talk about anti-social behaviour costing you hundreds of euro etc.

See it's a little cul de sac so if there was an unmarked car there it'd be very suspect. Both our boyfriends are more than prepared to take it into their own hands but I'd be scared they wouldnt stop if they did catch whoevers doin it. Good Merc story. I had a dream the other night that I had my car fixed so that if anyone touched the mirrors they'd get electrocuted and die. Bit extreme u might think but it was a good dream! Maybe if it happens again the gaurds will do somethin about it. Apart from the fact that they're wrecking our cars it's pretty unnerving that they're standing right outside the house doin it and we're just inside

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Stay up and wait for them. Then you and your friends can explain the foolishness of breaking other peoples property.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭C.O.Y.B.I.B

If you live close to where the car is parked , get a wireless IR spycam from EBay and put one end in the car , then plug the other end into a VCR/Hard Disk recorder . They are small enough not to be noticed , but should give a clear enough picture to catch them/report them. Have a look here
    http://stores.ebay.ie/Spy-Camera-cam-Wholsale

Should get it delivered etc... less than 30 euro

• Advertisement

Stayin up waitin for them is an option i know but the thing is they leg it thru the lane. When it happened last Sat my car was in the drive. The alarm went off and I jumped up and ran straight out and they were gone

Thanks mscull. I'll defo look into that

Advertisement